F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
ARMA SPEED

03-05-2024, 12:56 PM   #12915
Jojstick1
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1 f48

Hello, a new version is available for my MMI, it does not connect to Android auto
Moja wersja
SDK 25.0.0.7.0.0.2.0
Cust B2R169R3
MCU 22.10.10.110
HW B_N2_1_G
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 01:32 PM   #12916
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
Is your new box responding to Back and Menu? So only the reconnecting issues persist? Make sure it's not a loose wire/connection.

I use an iPhone. Android could have its own issues on the phone, deep layers down in the settings.

The MMI seems to turn off a bit before the HU goes to sleep and that's when you see "No Signal" orange letters on your screen. The same is true when starting up, and it can cause a 'no CID image" error that is only visible if you pull it up in ISTA+ (it's an error you can ignore). If you are too close to the car after locking it, the MMI could still try to re-pair to your phone. Which can cause audio source/routing issues.

In my case I have been struggling with my Mint (MVNO on T-Mobile in the DC area) data connection. It's been bad for over a year, but recently I had a lot of semi-reboots on my MMI. Full-reboot is when the MMI's start-up logo shows as it boots up. The semi-reboot seems something new, as the Chinese programmers may have added(?) a feature that restarts the wifi-pairing (and Bluetooth-pairing?) between the phone and the MMI when it detects a sustained non-connection.

I suspect that when I loose cell phone data connection for a period of time, then the MMI's firmware (I am on Road Top NBT 176 version) does a wifi reconnect of sort, effectively forcing the MMI to reconnect to the phone. The screen goes black for a second or so and then the CarPlay icon re-appears showing a connected status between the phone and the MMI and my map app comes back up. I do not know if this is a new feature, or just me imagining it.

But as of today, I installed a Cricket e-sim (MVNO on AT&T) for a free two-weeks trial and using it as a SECONDARY data source. And today when switched over to Cricket data, I had no semi-reboots of my MMI during a 45 min drive. Normally, I get 2 or 3 lately. Too early to tell, so will observe more. But could be due to the crappy Mint deprioritization of users like me on T-Mobile's networks.
Yea, just the rebooting is still an issue. It's not just the box. I can hear other parts of the car turn on. To your point, there's a ton of Android settings too which could cause it. I just found a bluetooth option that allows other devices to stream their music through my phone's speaker. Turned that off but have yet to test if that fixed it.

I wish the MMI turned off before my HU. The constant reconnecting is a PITA when I'm working on my car or sitting in it and waiting because even if I turn everything off, it still cycles.

Have to wonder if this is all even worth it. Esp with your resetting. I originally had my phone mounted using the Rennline mount and relied on the phone picture + BT audio for GMaps. If I can't get this cycling issue resolved (issue for me with overall battery drain too) I might just uninstall the hardware.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 03:56 PM   #12917
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco_F39 View Post
Hi guys,
thanks everybody for this wonderful thread.

I recently bought a Droid UK box from a friend (I guess it comes from that seller) and I installed it on my BMW X2 F39.
Everything is working fine, some minor bugs but I'm very satisfied of it.

On my MMI Box the following models are labelled:

GPBM2022H-EVO and EWMCP-N726

My software versions are:
SDK Version: 25.0.0.7.0.0.2.0
Cust Version: EW_E_1.6.14_n
MCU Version: 23.4.13.117
HW Version: B_E_G

Password is 5025.

I read very carefully the first pages of this thread but I’m not sure if my box is an Andream model or something else. As consequence I’m not sure about the update I should install.

Could someone kindly help me to identify the right model and the updates I should look for?

Thanks in advance
Marco

Based on your pass code or 5025 and the format of your firmware Cust Version: EW_E_1.6.14_n it is an Andream, or an Andream offshoot sold by another seller. Some vendors sell the same hardware as Andream, but add their own codes in the firmware that does not allow installation on other units. Some do not do that. So before you do any updates, make sure you have a backup copy of your current firmware and are familiar with forced recovvery, if you brick it.
      03-05-2024, 04:05 PM   #12918
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Yea, just the rebooting is still an issue. It's not just the box. I can hear other parts of the car turn on. To your point, there's a ton of Android settings too which could cause it. I just found a bluetooth option that allows other devices to stream their music through my phone's speaker. Turned that off but have yet to test if that fixed it.

I wish the MMI turned off before my HU. The constant reconnecting is a PITA when I'm working on my car or sitting in it and waiting because even if I turn everything off, it still cycles.

Have to wonder if this is all even worth it. Esp with your resetting. I originally had my phone mounted using the Rennline mount and relied on the phone picture + BT audio for GMaps. If I can't get this cycling issue resolved (issue for me with overall battery drain too) I might just uninstall the hardware.
The "can hear other parts of the car turn on" is normal, as long as they do not continue 10-20 mins after a sleep. That may be caused by CAN messages as well. Which may explain why you had an issue with steering wheel controls. Those run on CAN messages, and the MMI emulates those and sends them out on the bus. If you have a bus issue, you may have errant CAN messages that keep waking up the car.

You may have a hardware issue. Loose connection or a short?! If you have battery drain that you did not have before you installed the MMI, then it seems like a short, intermittent short.

My reconnects seems to be cell phone data coverage/prioritization related and are not randomly occurring, They seem to occur when my cell phone struggles with data from the cell tower.

Or you may have a corrupted Bluetooth. or some Android update, or AA update. May want to reinstall the MMI firmware (after you investigate the short)

On the iPhone under "Bluetooth" settings -> Carplayxxxx should set device to "car stereo". Not sure if that so on Android.
      03-05-2024, 04:19 PM   #12919
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojstick1 View Post
Hello, a new version is available for my MMI, it does not connect to Android auto
Moja wersja
SDK 25.0.0.7.0.0.2.0
Cust B2R169R3
MCU 22.10.10.110
HW B_N2_1_G
The MMI not connecting to Android Auto should have nothing to do with your version. Unless your firmware is corrupted. The newest versions of the firmware allow full-Bluetooth audio connection instead of AUX-IN, which gives better audio in most cases.

Is your pin code 8032? Then you may have a Road Top NBT B2 V1 (see first page). I believe the latest firmware is B2R176 and should be linked for download in the last 20 pages or so of this thread.
      03-05-2024, 05:37 PM   #12920
Chris567
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328

Volume

I'm using the Road Top MMI with my 2014 BMW 328. It's working great except the volume of driving directions from Google Maps.

I'm using BT audio and updated firmware to B2R176. I have the volume set to a normal level with music playing; when driving directions interrupt the music the directions are way too low--can't really follow them without turning up the volume. I tried adjusting the Carplay's volume for speech (but believe someone said these don't affect Bluetooth audio); didn't seem to change my Maps volume).

Appreciate any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 05:49 PM   #12921
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris567 View Post
I'm using the Road Top MMI with my 2014 BMW 328. It's working great except the volume of driving directions from Google Maps.

I'm using BT audio and updated firmware to B2R176. I have the volume set to a normal level with music playing; when driving directions interrupt the music the directions are way too low--can't really follow them without turning up the volume. I tried adjusting the Carplay's volume for speech (but believe someone said these don't affect Bluetooth audio); didn't seem to change my Maps volume).

Appreciate any suggestions.
I will try to check on the MMI menu's various audio controls , because last time I played with those settings, they worked for me. Only the MMI EQ did not seems to respond.

But for now, play music as normally you do at the level you want. Then go to Google Maps on your MMI, select "settings" and scroll over from the "traffic", "route", etc to "audio" ( I think it's all the way to the right). This should keep playing the Google Maps voice in a continuous loop until you exit that menu. While Google Maps is playing the audio (something like 'This is Google Audio, adjust your volume, etc) , even if you cannot hear anything, start pressing the steering wheel volume button several times until you hear it or hear it louder.

If tis does not work, you may not have set up properly the Bluetooth MMI and car Bluetooth connection and /or the wifi connection. Also make sure you have under your OEM menu -> "Media" -> "External media" -> "your phone" selected and not "AUX-IN". Also, under your iPhone's Bluetooth settings -> Carplayxxxx device select "car stereo".
      03-05-2024, 06:33 PM   #12922
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The "can hear other parts of the car turn on" is normal, as long as they do not continue 10-20 mins after a sleep. That may be caused by CAN messages as well. Which may explain why you had an issue with steering wheel controls. Those run on CAN messages, and the MMI emulates those and sends them out on the bus. If you have a bus issue, you may have errant CAN messages that keep waking up the car.

You may have a hardware issue. Loose connection or a short?! If you have battery drain that you did not have before you installed the MMI, then it seems like a short, intermittent short.

My reconnects seems to be cell phone data coverage/prioritization related and are not randomly occurring, They seem to occur when my cell phone struggles with data from the cell tower.

Or you may have a corrupted Bluetooth. or some Android update, or AA update. May want to reinstall the MMI firmware (after you investigate the short)

On the iPhone under "Bluetooth" settings -> Carplayxxxx should set device to "car stereo". Not sure if that so on Android.
Going to rule out the CAN issue as when I uninstalled the unit, the constant rebooting went away. Def not the 1st time I've turned the car off and waited in it. I did hear noises before but they were usually powering things down and not back up. When the units installed, it sounds like things are cycling between back on and off.

I might give the MMI firmware install a shot. Could I risk ruining my unit installing the firmware they provided me on the unit that went to crap?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 06:39 PM   #12923
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Going to rule out the CAN issue as when I uninstalled the unit, the constant rebooting went away. Def not the 1st time I've turned the car off and waited in it. I did hear noises before but they were usually powering things down and not back up. When the units installed, it sounds like things are cycling between back on and off.

I might give the MMI firmware install a shot. Could I risk ruining my unit installing the firmware they provided me on the unit that went to crap?
As you know, these units are not designed by Apple or other major company, so they are not forgiving. Is your "crap" unit the same unit as the current one? Same hardware and vendor? If yes, your risks are the same as anyone using that MMI. If it's an off-shoot brand but the pin matches and the firmware format is the same, your risks are higher. If the pin does not match, then your risks are very high, and may not even let you update.

What is the crap unit's firmware vs the current unit's firmware?

Last edited by fe7565; 03-06-2024 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 04:15 AM   #12924
Marco_F39
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Based on your pass code or 5025 and the format of your firmware Cust Version: EW_E_1.6.14_n it is an Andream, or an Andream offshoot sold by another seller. Some vendors sell the same hardware as Andream, but add their own codes in the firmware that does not allow installation on other units. Some do not do that. So before you do any updates, make sure you have a backup copy of your current firmware and are familiar with forced recovvery, if you brick it.
Thanks, bad news for me.....

I will never be able to update. Hope it will not be necessary
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 05:58 PM   #12925
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, bad news for me.....

I will never be able to update. Hope it will not be necessary
The MMI market/sellers is a mess and confusing. If yours is not an Andream or Road Top unit but an off-shoot, you may be able to use the firmware of these two, if your pin matches. Just do not mix any Andream CUST ver with Road Top CUST ver, and do not mix NBT with CIC or EvO, etc.

The MCU firmware is more forgiving in my experience, albeit that seems to be the more dangerous between the two.
      03-07-2024, 09:12 AM   #12926
Marco_F39
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 F39

Quote:
The MMI market/sellers is a mess and confusing. If yours is not an Andream or Road Top unit but an off-shoot, you may be able to use the firmware of these two, if your pin matches. Just do not mix any Andream CUST ver with Road Top CUST ver, and do not mix NBT with CIC or EvO, etc.

The MCU firmware is more forgiving in my experience, albeit that seems to be the more dangerous between the two.
Thanks a lot for your support.
I forget to point that mine is a Tuning Solution BOX. I don't know if it can be useful
Attached Images

Last edited by Marco_F39; 03-09-2024 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 01:46 PM   #12927
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As you know, these units are not designed by Apple or other major company, so they are not forgiving. Is your "crap" unit the same unit as the current one? Same hardware and vendor? If yes, your risks are the same as anyone using that MMI. If it's an off-shoot brand but the pin matches and the firmware format is the same, your risks are higher. If the pin does not match, then your risks are very high, and may not even let you update.

What is the crap unit's firmware vs the current unit's firmware?
Yup, Roadtop hardware for old and new. They sent me a replacement after all the back and forth never fully got my unit working.

Old:
CUST Version: ER169R3

New:
CUST Version: ER174

Since the issue/firmware is the same with both units, I assume a reflash wouldn't fix my issue. Not sure what the CUST Version is. I just want things to work and for the most part, it does but the reconnecting is an issue because my music triggers onto speaker on and off when I get home from work and I'm in my kitchen. It's pretty damn annoying so I'll have to tinker with my BT/Wifi settings on my phone and go from there I guess because, to your point, the support is hit or miss.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:02 PM   #12928
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup, Roadtop hardware for old and new. They sent me a replacement after all the back and forth never fully got my unit working.

Old:
CUST Version: ER169R3

New:
CUST Version: ER174

Since the issue/firmware is the same with both units, I assume a reflash wouldn't fix my issue. Not sure what the CUST Version is. I just want things to work and for the most part, it does but the reconnecting is an issue because my music triggers onto speaker on and off when I get home from work and I'm in my kitchen. It's pretty damn annoying so I'll have to tinker with my BT/Wifi settings on my phone and go from there I guess because, to your point, the support is hit or miss.
I’m out of town, so I can’t check to be sure, but I’m pretty sure Cust ver 169 is a version before the full audio Bluetooth was implemented. And 174 definitely has Bluetooth as full audio.

The customer version is like the windows operating system with the new user features. And the MCU version is like the drivers that make the computer CPU operate properly.
      03-07-2024, 08:04 PM   #12929
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank a lot for your support.
I forget to point that mine is a Tuning Solution BOX. I don't know if it can be useful
Most of these units have the same exact hardware inside, but the various vendors or sellers have an option to add a firmware modification that locks the unit to accept only their firmware.
      03-11-2024, 10:52 AM   #12930
moghm
Private
Rep
Drives: F20, 2012 120d

Hi. Anyone having issues with android auto staying in day mode at night ? For some bizarre reason the display isnt going into dark mode at night. I have not changed any setting on the mmi box and the android auto is set to automatic. One of the items on latest android auto update on play store says the following:-

-Dark mode on car UI is now independent from the phone.

So do I need to change something somewhere to get the dark mode to work again ? It was working ok last week....Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 05:09 PM   #12931
MMcoding
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by moghm View Post
Hi. Anyone having issues with android auto staying in day mode at night ? For some bizarre reason the display isnt going into dark mode at night. I have not changed any setting on the mmi box and the android auto is set to automatic. One of the items on latest android auto update on play store says the following:-

-Dark mode on car UI is now independent from the phone.

So do I need to change something somewhere to get the dark mode to work again ? It was working ok last week....Thanks

You need to change the settings in MMI box

Go to SETUP -> CarPlay/Android auto -> Auto dark mode set it to ON
Appreciate 1
fe7565552.50
      03-13-2024, 03:06 AM   #12932
SStlthy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagncola View Post
The support from RoadTop is great, i wrote for you a simple Whatsapp with picture of your current version (phone number for whatsapp is written in the manual) and enclose the last firmware B2R176.
Update on your own risk

Road Top: Hello.Pls check this
Road Top: Here is the software update file:https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=drive_link

1. Prepare an empty 8GB USB flash drive (or smaller than 8GB) and format to FAT32
2. UNZIP the file first, copy"GEMINI_PACK.BIN"and "ISPBOOOOT.BIN" file onto the root directory of the USB drive
3. Connect the usb drive to the decoder box.'Setup' ->'Software Update' -> password 8032 -> 'System Update ISPBOOOT.BIN', then the update will start. Wait untill the update is done.
When I try to message Road Top they ask 'which platform did you purchase from? Please provide pictures with the order number.' but my Road Top came with the car I bought used.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 02:10 PM   #12933
alexusr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Faced the same, had to buy from Amazon to get an order number and then returned.
Here's the B2R176R2 version from a couple of days ago for NBT B2: https://we.tl/t-qs0FcxUAOM
Appreciate 1
fe7565552.50
      03-14-2024, 04:07 AM   #12934
moghm
Private
Rep
Drives: F20, 2012 120d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMcoding View Post
You need to change the settings in MMI box

Go to SETUP -> CarPlay/Android auto -> Auto dark mode set it to ON
Thankyou, this worked. So now dark mode only comes on when main headlights are on. Same as yours ?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 07:05 AM   #12935
amrit599
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i F20

does anyone have a link to MCU version 23.1.12.117 for Andream B2? I've found the sharepoint link on here but it won't let me access sharepoint.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 11:47 AM   #12936
amrit599
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i F20

I have also just updated my software to B2_1.6.16_n and have managed to get BT audio working but am coming across a problem with the scroll wheel. When I'm in Android Auto using the scroll wheel, it is also applying whatever I do to the BT music input on the NBT so it is skipping and restarting songs whenever I use the scroll wheel for any other reason in the MMI box. Does anyone have a workaround for this?
Appreciate 0