BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

05-01-2024, 05:33 AM   #1
joe53
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

M2 Comp Wheels Lock-up

My 2019 M2 Comp front wheels have a continuing problem with locking solid overnight, and it is getting worse. This car literally has to use the rear wheels to drag the locked front wheels out of the garage, leaving a strip of rubber on the garage cement floor. Rocking the car in first gear and reverse eventually breaks the locking with a loud "sproing" sound. Can't be good ...

It first began about one year after purchase, and always in winter months when the temperature mandated winter tires. I figured it was related to freezing temps and ice and salt affecting the brake pads or rotors. The winter hereabouts is comparable to Chicago, Detroit, and NYC.

But in the past year the problem persists in warm temperatures, and with summer tires.

I have complained to the dealership for years now about this problem, but they can never find any brake or rotor problem. I'm wondering if this is even a brake problem.

This car has always been kept in an unheated but dry garage, on a level floor, in neutral gear, with no parking brake engaged.

Ultimately, I have decided to trade in this vexing car (now out of warranty) for the latest M2. Pity, because I really liked that M2C.
2019 F87 M2 Comp
2024 G87 M2 (in production)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 05:48 AM   #2
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe53 View Post
My 2019 M2 Comp front wheels have a continuing problem with locking solid overnight, and it is getting worse. This car literally has to use the rear wheels to drag the locked front wheels out of the garage, leaving a strip of rubber on the garage cement floor. Rocking the car in first gear and reverse eventually breaks the locking with a loud "sproing" sound. Can't be good ...

It first began about one year after purchase, and always in winter months when the temperature mandated winter tires. I figured it was related to freezing temps and ice and salt affecting the brake pads or rotors. The winter hereabouts is comparable to Chicago, Detroit, and NYC.

But in the past year the problem persists in warm temperatures, and with summer tires.

I have complained to the dealership for years now about this problem, but they can never find any brake or rotor problem. I'm wondering if this is even a brake problem.

This car has always been kept in an unheated but dry garage, on a level floor, in neutral gear, with no parking brake engaged.

Ultimately, I have decided to trade in this vexing car (now out of warranty) for the latest M2. Pity, because I really liked that M2C.
Hi,

You may have better luck asking the guys on the F87 forum. This is the G87 forum but there may be a chance that some owners here also own or have owned the F87.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 06:58 AM   #3
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe53 View Post

Just have them take the front end apart and check the bearings. Doesn't sound like the problem was investigated enough or your dealer has a bunch of kids working for them who don't know/aren't paid to care. Time to find a good indy shop in your area. Having owned A LOT of cars, dealers in general don't do a good job of troubleshooting "aging" issues. Except Porsche, and well Range Rover who build beautiful outer shells over rotting corroding carcasses so all those folks deal with is "aging" issues.