BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

10-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
zzyjason
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42

Just saw on the bmwusa that there is no heads up display options anymore (230i)
Instead now there is premium package 2
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 04:00 PM   #2
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

I assume you're looking at a 230i? It's been removed from the 30i models due to parts shortage. Should still be available in the M240i unless something has changed.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 04:01 PM   #3
zzyjason
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post
I assume you're looking at a 230i? It's been removed from the 30i models due to parts shortage. Should still be available in the M240i unless something has changed.
Oh yeah. I was looking at 230i
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 04:06 PM   #4
yanks1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Mustang GT Vert 5-speed

oh jeez, not good

'08 Mustang GT Vert w/5 speed manual
Past:325ci, 330ci (my favorite) & 2018 230i; '79 Vette (owned 13 yrs.)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 04:10 PM   #5
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
oh jeez, not good
This isn't news, they sent a memo to the dealers about this like a month ago. It's not limited to the 2 either; basically all of the 30i models are losing the HUD option.

If you're already in production you're probably fine though.
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201815.50
      10-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #6
yanks1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I see BMW knocked off a lousy $700 for Heads up Display, I just did a dummy build there for 230i... sucks. I'd rather have the HUD

also I'd switch my order to 240i but only AWD is available until middle of 2022... I want only RWD

Appreciate 1
mcompact119.00
      10-18-2021, 03:20 AM   #7
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyjason View Post
Hi Guys
Dave from Australia here. I just ordered one of these for January delivery 22 and got some info on HUD and wireless charging. My primary work is in electronics engineering and the reason for the delete of the HUD and wireless charging for all 1,2,3 and 4 series is semiconductor shortages. Also deleted from these models locally is the full adaptive cruise control in the 3 series (same reason)
This is a real problem with a shortage of electronic components that's going to push out to at least 2023, so it's not BMW (or others) fault.
My last car was the MCB E92 M3 and been away from the platform until now, looking forward to the new 240i
Appreciate 2
MrFoxy372.50
DSTR1212.50
      10-18-2021, 03:37 AM   #8
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i. G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post
Quote:
Hi Guys
Dave from Australia here. I just ordered one of these for January delivery 22 and got some info on HUD and wireless charging. My primary work is in electronics engineering and the reason for the delete of the HUD and wireless charging for all 1,2,3 and 4 series is semiconductor shortages. Also deleted from these models locally is the full adaptive cruise control in the 3 series (same reason)
This is a real problem with a shortage of electronic components that's going to push out to at least 2023, so it's not BMW (or others) fault.
My last car was the MCB E92 M3 and been away from the platform until now, looking forward to the new 240i
Thanks for the info mate, I'm in Scotland and have a March delivery. My dealer has said all HK sound systems are now only available in M cars, I would imagine it's the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 03:48 AM   #9
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoxy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Guys
Thanks for the info mate, I'm in Scotland and have a March delivery. My dealer has said all HK sound systems are now only available in M cars, I would imagine it's the same problem.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Guys
Definitely the same reason and what a shame. Nobody escapes these shortages. Basically the semiconductor and mining industry that supports it was shutdown at the beginning of COVID, then the shutdown of the semiconductor manufacturers in China, world wide Distributors buying out stock will take a long time to come back on line. We are going to suffer these shortages maybe the next 18 months or so. Lucky its going to be such an awesome car to own and drive.
One thing I don't get is why BMW (and others) do not leave the wiring harnesses and circuit board cavities in place so they can be retrofitted and coded when back on line instead of excluding present day buyers
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 03:52 AM   #10
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i. G42 M240i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Guys
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Guys
Definitely the same reason and what a shame. Nobody escapes these shortages. Basically the semiconductor and mining industry that supports it was shutdown at the beginning of COVID, then the shutdown of the semiconductor manufacturers in China, world wide Distributors buying out stock will take a long time to come back on line. We are going to suffer these shortages maybe the next 18 months or so. Lucky its going to be such an awesome car to own and drive.
One thing I don't get is why BMW (and others) do not leave the wiring harnesses and circuit board cavities in place so they can be retrofitted and coded when back on line instead of excluding present day buyers
Completely agree mate, I'd imagine the delete is nothing more than a cost cutting decision
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:50 AM   #11
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Guys
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Guys
Completely agree mate, I'd imagine the delete is nothing more than a cost cutting decision
Not so much cost cutting, either build without or not at all. Parts are just not available
Appreciate 2
DSTR1212.50
yanks1484.00
      10-18-2021, 09:17 AM   #12
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 M340i

Garage List
This is a much smarter strategy than our domestic auto makers are doing here in the US. I work for one of the "big 3" and instead of just removing content/features we will build until we run out of a "chip" then shut a plant/plants down, rinse and repeat. I do wish my new M240 would have wireless charging, I never saw the value until my wife got her X5 and the wireless charging complements the wireless Carplay very nicely. Oh well, car will still be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 09:23 AM   #13
Vudumonkey25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i x Mercedes CLS550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightngsvt View Post
This is a much smarter strategy than our domestic auto makers are doing here in the US. I work for one of the "big 3" and instead of just removing content/features we will build until we run out of a "chip" then shut a plant/plants down, rinse and repeat. I do wish my new M240 would have wireless charging, I never saw the value until my wife got her X5 and the wireless charging complements the wireless Carplay very nicely. Oh well, car will still be awesome!
Did they remove wireless charging on your build? It's listed on mine. The car is already built. It looks like I only lost satellite radio which I'm ok with since I use spotify.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 09:33 AM   #14
yanks1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

When you say Spotify, do you mean feeding the audio via carplay... or Spotify is built into radio???

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #15
Vudumonkey25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When you say Spotify, do you mean feeding the audio via carplay... or Spotify is built into radio???
I've always just done Bluetooth. Maybe I'm behind the times. I don't think my X1, or CLS have anything built in for Android but I could be wrong. I know my mustang doesn't

I'm excited to have more connectivity with the new carplay stuff. Looking forward to not having a charging cable and phone mount as well with the wirless charging.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 10:07 AM   #16
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudumonkey25 View Post
Did they remove wireless charging on your build? It's listed on mine. The car is already built. It looks like I only lost satellite radio which I'm ok with since I use spotify.
Strange, my list of standard features differs from yours. I'd expect all US M240's to have identical standard equipment.
Appreciate 2
      10-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #17
yanks1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

We have wireless carplay in wife's Kia Sportage and my former 2018 230i had it... you will LOVE it

Last edited by yanks1; 10-18-2021 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2021, 10:47 AM   #18
Vudumonkey25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Strange, my list of standard features differs from yours. I'd expect all US M240's to have identical standard equipment.
Can you post a picture or show what's different? Now you have me curious

Quote:
We have wireless carplay in wife's Kia Sportage and my former 2018 230i had it... you will LOVE it
Looking forward to it. I feel like a lot of car tech has changed since I last bought a car
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 12:13 PM   #19
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here is mine from the My Garage page on BMWs site:
19" M wheel 792M w/ as rft
Active Blind Spot Detection
Active Driving Assistant
Adaptive M Suspension
Adjustable seat width
Alarm System
Auto-dimming mirrors
CarPlay / Android Auto Compat.
Comfort Access keyless entry
Connected Package Pro
ConnectedDrive Services
Daytime driving lights
Dual Zone Auto Climate Control
Heated Steering Wheel
Heated front seats
LAUNCH SUPPLY
Lane Departure Warning
Moonroof
Park Distance Control
Runflat tires
Satellite radio preparation
Storage package
Tire pressure monitor

I thought wireless charging was originally supposed to be standard?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 12:25 PM   #20
Vudumonkey25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Active Driving Assistant
Adaptive M Suspension
Adjustable seat width
Alarm System
Auto-dimming mirrors
Connected Package Pro
ConnectedDrive Services
Daytime driving lights
Heated Steering Wheel
Heated front seats
LAUNCH SUPPLY
Lane Departure Warning
Moonroof
Park Distance Control
Runflat tires
Storage package
Tire pressure monitor

Did you spec this? Or was this the dealer pre spec?
This is not the premium package right?

And yes wireless was supposed to be standard but who knows with chip shortage anymore
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 12:45 PM   #21
zzyjason
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Active Driving Assistant
Adaptive M Suspension
Adjustable seat width
Alarm System
Auto-dimming mirrors
Connected Package Pro
ConnectedDrive Services
Daytime driving lights
Heated Steering Wheel
Heated front seats
LAUNCH SUPPLY
Lane Departure Warning
Moonroof
Park Distance Control
Runflat tires
Storage package
Tire pressure monitor

Did you spec this? Or was this the dealer pre spec?
This is not the premium package right?

And yes wireless was supposed to be standard but who knows with chip shortage anymore
My 230i build have wireless charging, (currently in quality check. Confirmed this in my garage page as well as external vin website
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 12:46 PM   #22
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Spotify is officially built into the radio. It's a stand alone app that you can download or it comes preinstalled from BMW. All you have to do is login, then it's independent from your phone.

Awesome feature I plan to use a lot when I get my car
Appreciate 0