BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

10-21-2022, 02:26 PM   #111
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post
The likelihood that the United States will receive three roof options is relatively small.

Truthfully we are fortunate that we are getting two seat choices with three color-ways on the standard M Sport Seat.

Edit, Keep in mind that I would like the steel roof as well, but I honestly do not foresee it happening.
It's really only two roof options, one being without the sunroof. Not like this is a logistics issue, that would make morse sense. All of the M2s are built in SLP and for other regions the sunroof is optional, so it's no different than any other car coming down the assembly line. Some have carbon bucket seats, others don't. Some that are destined for other markets get the cheap seats, for US we get M Sport standard, and so on. The real question is will BMW use the sunroof as a means to push buyers into getting a CF roof? That's more of a marketing/sales tactic than anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 06:44 PM   #112
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:
The likelihood that the United States will receive three roof options is relatively small.

Truthfully we are fortunate that we are getting two seat choices with three color-ways on the standard M Sport Seat.

Edit, Keep in mind that I would like the steel roof as well, but I honestly do not foresee it happening.
It's really only two roof options, one being without the sunroof. Not like this is a logistics issue, that would make morse sense. All of the M2s are built in SLP and for other regions the sunroof is optional, so it's no different than any other car coming down the assembly line. Some have carbon bucket seats, others don't. Some that are destined for other markets get the cheap seats, for US we get M Sport standard, and so on. The real question is will BMW use the sunroof as a means to push buyers into getting a CF roof? That's more of a marketing/sales tactic than anything.
That's exactly what they did but at this juncture, it makes little sense dwelling on it.

Logically, it would be cheaper for them to offer a steel, non-sunroof standard but they didn't because they are aware of the higher demand for slick/carbon fiber top in the US, so they made a calculated decision to force upon the sunroof standard and have all the carbon top buyers subsidized the cost for it all. Genius.
Appreciate 1
qnet683.00
      10-21-2022, 06:55 PM   #113
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:

That's exactly what they did but at this juncture, it makes little sense dwelling on it.

Logically, it would be cheaper for them to offer a steel, non-sunroof standard but they didn't because they are aware of the higher demand for the carbon fiber top in the US, so they made a calculated decision to force upon the sunroof standard and have all the carbon top buyers subsidized the cost for it all. Genius.
Looked at my old F87 M2C build. $1,050 for the hole in roof.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      10-21-2022, 07:01 PM   #114
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJLag420 View Post
Looked at my old F87 M2C build. $1,050 for sunroof.

Yet now it is standard in the U.S. with many individuals upset about it. BMW simply cannot please everyone.
Appreciate 2
DrJLag420799.00
qnet683.00
      10-21-2022, 07:03 PM   #115
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Quote:
Quote:
Looked at my old F87 M2C build. $1,050 for sunroof.

Yet now it is standard in the U.S. with many individuals upset about it.
So I guess the CF roof is really $3600. Or there abouts.

If only BMW sold ice cream, then maybe….nawz
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 07:15 PM   #116
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Logically, it would be cheaper for them to offer a steel, non-sunroof standard but they didn't because they are aware of the higher demand for the carbon fiber top in the US, so they made a calculated decision to force upon the sunroof standard and have all the carbon top buyers subsidized the cost for it all. Genius.
Looked at my old F87 M2C build. $1,050 for the hole in roof.
I was willing to pay the $1,050 for the privilege of a 'hole in the roof' also but that wasn't available for the 2016 model year in the US. The LCI M2 and beyond was the first year it became a (at cost) option. #TeamSunroof

My old friend had a convertible E93 M3 and hearing the sonorous exhaust note waling when the top was down just numbed my sense 🤯 The smaller hole in the roof hopefully gives me a slight taste of the glorious feeling..

Side note, the F87 M2 Competition is such a handsome devil.. Its appearance never fails to impress 👍🏻
Appreciate 2
      10-21-2022, 11:51 PM   #117
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

I'm warming to the idea of the moonroof, and then having my PPF guy wrap the roof in gloss black around it.
ElHeffe186.00
      10-22-2022, 12:31 AM   #118
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
I'm warming to the idea of the moonroof, and then having my PPF guy wrap the roof in gloss black around it.
I had the roof painted black on both my M2 & my A45 & the sunroof is barely noticable on either (see below).
I wrapped them both first to be sure it was the look I wanted, then removed the wrap & had them both painted as paint looks/wears so much better than ANY wrap.
Oh & im a big guy & tracked both cars regularly with no helmet clearance issues (I do have proper seats in my M2 though & never tracked it with the crappy oem seats).
Attached Images

Last edited by TargaM2; 10-22-2022 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 4
      10-22-2022, 06:24 AM   #119
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I am warming up to the sunroof just to save $2600. I never intend to track it, yet I do suspect at resale that the CF roof will be the roof preferred amongst pre-owned buyers, especially those that are enthusiast.

Last edited by T_U_D; 10-22-2022 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 4
JustinHEMI7448.00
Caerus534.50
      10-22-2022, 06:31 AM   #120
86zccrx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Quote:
I am warming up to the sunroof just to save $2600. I never intend to track it, yet I do suspect at resale the CF roof will be the roof preferred amongst pre-owned buyers.
Unless you plan on flipping it, get the car optioned for you and not the next owner. Even if the CF roof is more desirable, I doubt you will get the full cost back on resale.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2022, 06:35 AM   #121
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86zccrx View Post
Unless you plan on flipping it, get the car optioned for you and not the next owner. Even if the CF roof is more desirable, I doubt you will get the full cost back on resale.
That theory has never worked for me personally when I ordered a vehicle to my specs. Over the last decade I have ordered what I anticipate the next owner will desire and it has benefited me greatly at the time of resale.
Appreciate 3
      10-22-2022, 08:00 AM   #122
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
I am warming up to the sunroof just to save $2600. I never intend to track it, yet I do suspect at resale the CF roof will be the roof preferred amongst pre-owned buyers.
What makes you think the CF roof might help the resale? Data on F87 or just observing the reactions on the G87 forum here or something else?

Resale is definitely a consideration for me too and a big reason why I spec my cars lightly so that my potential depreciation hit is smaller. Transaction data, which sets the second hand market value, helps the lightly spec'ed cars since model, mileage, and condition (number of owners and insurance claims) seem to be the determining factors. When trading them in, my lightly spec'ed G05 and G20 benefited from the higher average transaction price driven by the loaded models being listed/sold. CF roof at $2.6k is rather a pricey risk to take on the resale side, at least for a cheapskate like me
      10-22-2022, 08:46 AM   #123
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhank82 View Post
What makes you think the CF roof might help the resale? Data on F87 or just observing the reactions on the G87 forum here or something else?

Resale is definitely a consideration for me too and a big reason why I spec my cars lightly so that my potential depreciation hit is smaller. Transaction data, which sets the second hand market value, helps the lightly spec'ed cars since model, mileage, and condition (number of owners and insurance claims) seem to be the determining factors. When trading them in, my lightly spec'ed G05 and G20 benefited from the higher average transaction price driven by the loaded models being listed/sold. CF roof at $2.6k is rather a pricey risk to take on the resale side, at least for a cheapskate like me
Dammit .... there you go being logical about it.

You're probably right near term. But it always seems that, particularly in the e46 M3 market, "slicktops" seem to be more desirable.

I'm probably going to go CF and 6MT just to try to keep the weight down. Even though the CF roof only saves 11 lbs over a sunroof, it's weight up top, so it lowers the car's center of gravity a fair amount.

On the other hand...I love the SR in my e36.

Decisions, decisions.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 09:49 AM   #124
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Personally, I'm not speccing for the next buyer, or keeping miles low for the next buyer.

Considering this is what I will consider the last "great" ICE M car, it'll be my last performance car (currently in my mind anyway). I intend on keeping this for the long term.

I'm not, nor will I become, an EV person.

Last edited by JustinHEMI; 10-22-2022 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 3
Caerus534.50
TargaM22494.00
      10-22-2022, 10:54 AM   #125
carjoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i M-Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Personally, I'm not speccing or the next buyer, or keeping miles low for the next buyer.

Considering this is what I will consider the last "great" ICE M car, it'll be my last performance car (currently in my mind anyway). I intend on keeping this for the long term.

Good luck with that. Unfortunately the ICE won't be around forever nor the manual, as tech evolves and priorities shift to the environment, we must take the good with the bad.

I think many will come around when they develop cool electric motor sounds, and driving experience is so amped up your balls will tickle your throat and toes your belly button as you go around a street corner at 50 and find 60 in delirious 1.5 seconds. I have no doubt performance EV's will also carve the shit out of your favorite canyon or back roads. Performance is evolving in different directions, we must keep our minds open; for the future may pleasantly surprise.

Yeah, we will all miss the sound of a V8, but I'd rather forego it than have to permanently ware a mask in the coming years because we kept passing the environmental baton to another generation.

I for one am exciting for what's to come.
      10-22-2022, 11:24 AM   #126
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoy View Post
Good luck with that. Unfortunately the ICE won't be around forever nor the manual, as tech evolves and priorities shift to the environment, we must take the good with the bad.

I think many will come around when they develop cool electric motor sounds, and driving experience is so amped up your balls will tickle your throat and toes your belly button as you go around a street corner at 50 and find 60 in delirious 1.5 seconds. I have no doubt performance EV's will also carve the shit out of your favorite canyon or back roads. Performance is evolving in different directions, we must keep our minds open; for the future may pleasantly surprise.

Yeah, we will all miss the sound of a V8, but I'd rather forego it than have to permanently ware a mask in the coming years because we kept passing the environmental baton to another generation.

I for one am exciting for what's to come.
Nah, I'm old enough to avoid EVs in the time I have left.
M3WC3646.50
TargaM22494.00
      10-22-2022, 11:42 AM   #127
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Likewise.

I intend to eventually order one of the last manual G87 LCIs with individual paint to replace my pre-LCI and hold on to it until my demise.

Last edited by T_U_D; 10-22-2022 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 4
Caerus534.50
M3WC3646.50
      10-22-2022, 12:05 PM   #128
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhank82 View Post
Most valuable E46 M3's are slicktop manuals.
Appreciate 1
T_U_D6687.00
      10-22-2022, 12:07 PM   #129
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
Likewise.

I intend to eventually order one of the last manual G87 LCIs with individual paint to replace my pre-LCI and hold on to it until my demise.
Fcking love that plan!
Appreciate 2
T_U_D6687.00
M3WC3646.50
      10-22-2022, 12:13 PM   #130
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Most valuable E46 M3's are slicktop manuals.
People also now go apeshit for Laguna Seca Blue or Phoenix Yellow, neither of which were popular when the E46 M3 was new. My guess, ZB will be the same way 20+ years from now.

Last edited by T_U_D; 10-22-2022 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 2
Caerus534.50
Biimmer70.00
      10-22-2022, 12:50 PM   #131
Albator_IIII
Retired Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i 6MT Custom

Quote:
Personally, I'm not speccing or the next buyer, or keeping miles low for the next buyer.

Quote:
Quote:
Likewise.

I see there are many of us thinking the same. I am dreading having to replace my daily driver due to lack of MT options. This M2 will be for nice summer days. I may track it at some point. I might replace it later in the production cycle.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 01:02 PM   #132
carjoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i M-Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_1M View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_1M View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Dammit.

Thank you for the info.
My sentiments exactly! Well played BMW. Well played… CF Roof for me.

JustinHEMI You are welcome. Sorry it was not better news.
And to get that carbon roof you didn't really want, because you simply wanted a plain moonroof-less roof ( say that three times ), you have to spend $9k plus on a package you also didn't want.

Abusive.
Cf roof can be optioned by itself
Has that been confirmed? Thought I read here it's only available as part of the Carbon Package.
Yes, cf roof is standalone option for $2600. Bucket seats are suspected to only be part of the carbon pack but still waiting for confirmation on that.
Awesome 👏