E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > AC Issue

04-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
Mikez306
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

AC Issue

I thought, while sitting at home in quarantine, it would be a great chance to fix some of the small issues on my 09 335xi.

Late last summer, I noticed my AC would turn on and run, with cool air coming from the vents for about 1 min, then the air would start blowing warm.

Of course I checked my freon levels first and the system is full, with no leaks.

Any ideas on where I should look next?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

radiator fan, blending thumbwheel, INPA, belt, etc.
Also, since aircon issues aren't typically exclusive to AWD cars, you might repost this in the general forum for better visibilty
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #3
Mikez306
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. A couple of quick questions.
1. Wouldn't the car have overheating issues if the fan wasn't operating correctly?
2. I have no idea what a thumbwheel is.

Thanks again.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 04:29 PM   #4
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

The thumbwheel is just below the doorlock and hazard buttons. Make sure it's all the way cold. Also, what do you have your climate controls set to in general? Is the blower fully responsive?

The engine is comfortable running at above 100C. The aircon needs much more cooling. So it can easily get too hot and then shut down without a fan. The engine itself hardly needs a fan unless you drive hard then stop, or have a hot climate.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2020, 04:35 PM   #5
Mikez306
Private
Rep

Quote:
The thumbwheel is just below the doorlock and hazard buttons. Make sure it's all the way cold. Also, what do you have your climate controls set to in general? Is the blower fully responsive?

The engine is comfortable running at above 100C. The aircon needs much more cooling. So it can easily get too hot and then shut down without a fan. The engine itself hardly needs a fan unless you drive hard then stop, or have a hot climate.
Oh..yes. In that case the thumbwheel is all the way in the cold position. The blower does blow air all the way up to full speed with out issue.

Is there anyway I can easily check the fan out? Fuses? Relay?
Appreciate 0