BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

08-04-2022, 07:00 PM   #67
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Not to knock this mod but when you put spacers or use different offset wheels it puts a strain on your wheel bearings as well as your suspension. I E grap 2 1 gallon milk jugs, fill them with water now hold them to your chest for a minute after that rest. Now extend your arms out and hold the water filled jugs. Enough said. That is exactly what you are doing to your suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 07:02 PM   #68
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

I've always wondered about the long term effects of using spacers. It seems like a rather common thing that if it was causing a lot of failures, you'd hear more about it but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 07:46 PM   #69
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

And what's the benefit, aside from looks?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 10:34 AM   #70
KJ10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
And what's the benefit, aside from looks?
If you want to run a wider wheel and tire set-up they can be necessary for fitment. But other than that and looks I am not sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 11:46 AM   #71
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbmwtech View Post
Not to knock this mod but when you put spacers or use different offset wheels it puts a strain on your wheel bearings as well as your suspension. I E grap 2 1 gallon milk jugs, fill them with water now hold them to your chest for a minute after that rest. Now extend your arms out and hold the water filled jugs. Enough said. That is exactly what you are doing to your suspension.
I was wondering when this question would come up, as it has on every car forum I've been on since Al Gore invented the internet.

Interesting analogy, but not valid. With quality hub-centric spacers, proper length lug bolts (or studs), and nothing extreme in size, this becomes an integral part of the suspension just as if BMW designed a wheel with the same cumulative offset. It would require no additional suspension upgrades from the factory, but simply isn't done because of wheel/fender relation regulations and a design to contain more debris within the fender well.

Spacers as mentioned above are perfectly safe for daily driving and even popular in the Porsche community on the track. In addition to better looks (opinion) they offer slightly better handling (wider stance). Drawbacks are more unsprung weight, can be a hassle if changing between various wheel setups (track days, winter, summer, etc.), and can throw a little more debris on the lower edges of the car. However, they harm the suspension in no way, and I'd welcome any documented/verified reports where spacers (as described above) have caused a single issue. I've run them for over 100,000 miles w/o issue and I have zero doubt poor fuel, aggressive tunes, CAI's, DP's, and overly-oiled air filters have caused 1,000x more issues than quality spacers.

However, I respect people will have opinions different than mine and nothing I say will change this; it's all good.
Appreciate 3
KJ10498.50
      08-05-2022, 11:50 AM   #72
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Tried out the self-parking feature yesterday. Scared the $#!@ out of me as it was a very unsettling experience, but all went well.

Not sure I'll ever use the perpendicular parking feature again, but I think I'll appreciate the parallel parking option.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 05:36 PM   #73
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Halfway through my first road trip of about 2,400 miles and the car is amazing on every type of road - interstate, mountain twisties, and 2-lane no-shoulder backroads. Not quite at home on extreme twisty mountain roads (Arizona 191 south of Alpine) as a Miata since Newton's First Law comes into play, but definitely a superior road trip car!

Much of the trip so far has been on desolate roads while cruising for many miles well into the triple digits, and even experienced the speed limiter of 157 where it didn't break a sweat at 8,000 feet. Actually, the oil temp is significantly cooler cruising at 130 than it is cruising at 80. And averaging around 27 mpg with such a mixed bag of driving has been very impressive.

When I get home I'm thinking of treating her to a Dinan Sport Tuner and the carbon fiber CS rear spoiler by TRE (just wish shipping from the UK wasn't so expensive).
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Red_sir134.50
PP3121357.50
      09-12-2022, 05:45 PM   #74
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

If you do order from AutoID, go with DHL Express for shipping; I believe you have to email them to get the option as it isn't selectable on their site. I originally emailed them for better shipping deals but the default was the cheapest, and for $10 more and delivery in 3 days, I was sold on DHL. I got the package (CF CS Tre spoiler, CF Tre sharkfin cover, and OEM MP black badges) in 3 business days. My bill for these 3 items was $446 shipped to NJ.

Last edited by MPR; 09-12-2022 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      09-12-2022, 09:17 PM   #75
Alpine Flyer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
When I get home I'm thinking of treating her to a Dinan Sport Tuner and the carbon fiber CS rear spoiler by TRE (just wish shipping from the UK wasn't so expensive).
Excellent road trip review 👍 Much fun! Also at 157 mph, whoa! Hope you'll do a review of the Dinan tuner, if you get it. I've been considering that, after the winter. Great photo at top!
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      09-13-2022, 01:26 PM   #76
HotsauzF82
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
I was wondering when this question would come up, as it has on every car forum I've been on since Al Gore invented the internet.

Interesting analogy, but not valid. With quality hub-centric spacers, proper length lug bolts (or studs), and nothing extreme in size, this becomes an integral part of the suspension just as if BMW designed a wheel with the same cumulative offset. It would require no additional suspension upgrades from the factory, but simply isn't done because of wheel/fender relation regulations and a design to contain more debris within the fender well.

Spacers as mentioned above are perfectly safe for daily driving and even popular in the Porsche community on the track. In addition to better looks (opinion) they offer slightly better handling (wider stance). Drawbacks are more unsprung weight, can be a hassle if changing between various wheel setups (track days, winter, summer, etc.), and can throw a little more debris on the lower edges of the car. However, they harm the suspension in no way, and I'd welcome any documented/verified reports where spacers (as described above) have caused a single issue. I've run them for over 100,000 miles w/o issue and I have zero doubt poor fuel, aggressive tunes, CAI's, DP's, and overly-oiled air filters have caused 1,000x more issues than quality spacers.

However, I respect people will have opinions different than mine and nothing I say will change this; it's all good.
With you going the 13mm on all 4 corner route, did you end up having to purchase extended lug studs? I'm planning (build date of 09/20 currently) on doing the same 13mm as it looks perfect IMO.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 01:52 PM   #77
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsauzF82 View Post
With you going the 13mm on all 4 corner route, did you end up having to purchase extended lug studs? I'm planning (build date of 09/20 currently) on doing the same 13mm as it looks perfect IMO.

Thanks!
BMW has lug bolts so if you buy a spacer, from lets say Burger Tuning, it will include extended lug bolts as well.
Appreciate 2
XC3LLR82062.50
      09-13-2022, 05:31 PM   #78
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsauzF82 View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
As ryo stated, the spacers come with extended lug bolts. Be sure to get a couple lug pens as well to help unmount/mount the wheels, and pull the wheel a good distance towards you before letting it drop to avoid scratching your calipers.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2022, 05:57 PM   #79
HotsauzF82
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
As ryo stated, the spacers come with extended lug bolts. Be sure to get a couple lug pens as well to help unmount/mount the wheels, and pull the wheel a good distance towards you before letting it drop to avoid scratching your calipers.
Thank you both for your input, greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0