05-21-2023, 06:49 PM   #67
Fahfoofnik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 230i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man_feet View Post
My thoughts: The shuddering is gone for now. BUT. I do feel a kind of wiggle on occasion that wasn't there previously. By wiggle I mean when I'm sitting at a stoplight/sign the car will slightly, slightly, wiggle sideways a few times, maybe half a cm. It's only detected by the sensors in my butt to be honest. If someone else were to drive the car I'm sure they would not think it's happening. Maybe I'm being hyper aware but it is what it is.
Just read all pages of this post -- my turn to chime in. 2022 230i, I believe an April 2022 build. Am at 10,900 miles, I took possession on the 4th of June 2022.

Most definitely feel the "wiggle" as mentioned above. It's not harsh at all in my 230i. But I feel it, and have become aware of it. I did NOT mention it when I brought the car in for an oil change (had other things to fix, like a broken glove box latch and a headlamp with condensation on the inside -- out of warranty the replacement would've cost me $5,500-$6,000…ouch).

I will for sure be mentioning this at the next service interval. As stated by others it's not a problem, the car never feels like it's going to actually die…but I notice it and anticipate it.

I tend to feel the wiggle when the engine is warm…not cold. AC on or off, heated steering wheel/seats on or off, the wiggle happens.
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2023, 04:51 AM   #68
Leonardocav
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2023 218i g42

Took delivery last friday, i immediately felt this wiggle at stop lights, every 5 or 10 seconds the cars shakes, very noticeable.
At this point I think this is a problem that is present on many units, I don't think it's worth trying to fix it, so I might as well get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 06:16 PM   #69
old_man_feet
Private
Rep
Drives: '22 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardocav View Post
Took delivery last friday, i immediately felt this wiggle at stop lights, every 5 or 10 seconds the cars shakes, very noticeable.
At this point I think this is a problem that is present on many units, I don't think it's worth trying to fix it, so I might as well get used to it.
Can you at least mention it when you take it in for your next oil change? It's not normal. I drove a loaner '22 230i for a few days on the exact same route I drive daily and it never happened.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 09:35 PM   #70
BlueLEDz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardocav View Post
I’ve had my 230i for about 2 months and haven’t had this issue.

If the car is shaking less then a week from delivery, you may have a major issue forming.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 07:42 AM   #71
e36uulm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, G42

Hi everyone, I have a test to propose.

For the last week I’ve driven my 230 in nothing but sport mode and have not felt the shudder once. Last night I tried comfort mode again and got a pretty bad misfire/shudder at a light. Put it back in sport mode this morning and no shudder….

Try driving your car is sport mode only and see what happens. Before you even put it in gear, push sport mode (not plus or individual) and go about your normal daily routine.

Let me know your results.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 03:44 AM   #72
Scratchpaw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 230i

Just wanted to add to this thread. I own a '22 G42 230i, built in 6/22 (right before they changed to curved display and OS8, so I'm still on OS7). Car currently has about 9,300 miles in the last 10 months and is EU spec. I'm experiencing the exact same 'issue' others here are having.

I daily drive my car. When going to work and exiting the highway (about 5-10 minutes of highway driving around 60-75mph), I tend to experience the little 'shake' at the first stoplight that I hit. I always turn start/stop off and when commuting I'm mostly in Comfort mode. It doesn't happen everyday, but almost once a week there will be this very small 'shake' going through the entire car. Just as others have mentioned, you really have to pay attention to feel it as it's the slightest of shakes, it doesn't even slightly drop the revs. Almost like a small misfire or fuel pump issue. Definitely seems to be a thing for the B48 in the 230i. Will be mentioning this when getting the car serviced next time.

On a side note, I have a rattling exhaust valve on cold starts and around 1,400rmp.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 09:47 AM   #73
Leonardocav
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2023 218i g42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchpaw View Post
It doesn't happen everyday, but almost once a week there will be this very small 'shake' going through the entire car..
you are lucky it's just a small shake, with mine it's like someone is kicking the car from the side, only way out it pressing the ass button again and shut the engine..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 02:41 PM   #74
TxRacinGirl
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Unhappy 2022 BMW 230i shudder at idle

My 230i has been in the shop for over a month now. numerous parts have been replaced now and still a shudder at idle. Has anyone had a solution for this?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 04:35 PM   #75
Hoch_Zwei
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 230i

I had the same problem for months. BMW tried a lot of things over 5 visits that were sometimes weeks long, including replacing spark plugs and having the BMW Engineering Rep drive it, who said it is normal. They considered it normal although there were many random misfire counts logged in the computer.

What ended up fixing it for me (for now) was using the BMW Fuel Injector Cleaner (BMW Part Number 83195A07750). I added it to an empty tank, filled up, drove about 40 miles to let it circulate through the fuel system, and parked it for the weekend to let it sit and work its magic. I drove it in Sport Plus mode with the transmission in Sport Mode for that tank of fuel to keep the RPMs higher than normal, and maybe open up the fuel injectors more than they were opening before under lower RPM usage.

I haven't experienced the problem since then, but also the weather has gotten warmer. I seemed to notice it more frequently when it was colder out. It might be worth spending the $20 to see if it fixes the issue. I hope this is useful info to everyone. It really is not great when there is an issue, in my case noticed by both myself and the dealer, that the manufacturer considers normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 10:56 AM   #76
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoch_Zwei View Post
I had the same problem for months. BMW tried a lot of things over 5 visits that were sometimes weeks long, including replacing spark plugs and having the BMW Engineering Rep drive it, who said it is normal. They considered it normal although there were many random misfire counts logged in the computer.

What ended up fixing it for me (for now) was using the BMW Fuel Injector Cleaner (BMW Part Number 83195A07750). I added it to an empty tank, filled up, drove about 40 miles to let it circulate through the fuel system, and parked it for the weekend to let it sit and work its magic. I drove it in Sport Plus mode with the transmission in Sport Mode for that tank of fuel to keep the RPMs higher than normal, and maybe open up the fuel injectors more than they were opening before under lower RPM usage.

I haven't experienced the problem since then, but also the weather has gotten warmer. I seemed to notice it more frequently when it was colder out. It might be worth spending the $20 to see if it fixes the issue. I hope this is useful info to everyone. It really is not great when there is an issue, in my case noticed by both myself and the dealer, that the manufacturer considers normal.
Never had any issues with my 2022 230i but I only put around 7K miles on it before I traded it in for a M2.

But last Dec 1 I bought a 2024 230i xDrive. Have not had any problems with it either but I have put just over 3K miles on the car.

As is my habit I tend to use a bit more RPMs than what most drivers use. And the car gets some freeway time. Highway usage can work wonders on removing engine deposits.

Had the car in at 1800 miles for an out of schedule oil/filter service. In reviewing the service invoice I noticed I was charged $15 for BMW Twin Power Turbo fuel additive. (Essentially Techron.) (Oh, part #: 83-19-5-A07-750) I was a bit surprised as BMW says *no* to fuel (or oil) additives. But the SA assured me this was as per BMW. I frankly have no problem with this. When I lived in CA I often used Chevron Supreme with Techron even with new cars. And I was going to treat the engine to a bottle of Techron (mixed according to directions) a fuel tank or so before a CBS service.
Appreciate 0