BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

05-16-2022, 12:15 PM   #1
Mugen
Rep
Drives: M240i

1k miles in 7 days...thoughts so far

So I've driven my new 240I for a thousand miles already and I just wanted to bullet point some thoughts that I have so far for anyone that might be waiting on the car or for current owners thoughts as well.
  • This car is a lot more nimble then it has any right to be
  • Your very isolated from the exterior, this is both a plus and a minor minus in my book as your sense of speed is a little dulled as is the steering feel. But this car is a great highway cruiser.
  • At the very limit with DSC on there is under-steer. Now it may be unfair that I'm comparing the handling to our other car which is an ND miata. But, this is more of a point and shoot type then a corner carver. But this is on the 225 front tires. I think with a wider front tire it would definitely sharpen up the turn in.
  • I am not a previous 2 series owner so I have no biases but I think this car is an absolute stunner. It's a really muscular design and I've gotten multiple compliments on it already and I've lost count of the number of times I've seen people checking the car out.
  • I wish the Cognac color interior offered the performance seats. There is just not enough lateral support in the bolsters on the Cognac seats as they are. They are comfortable though.
  • The heads up display is the best implementatino I've used. Not only is the display huge but the fact that waze direction get shown on their is awesome.
  • The gas mileage on highway trips is amazing for a car with this much power. I averaged 37mpg on a highway trip over 160 miles.
  • Conversely, the fuel consumption is also amazing when youre pushing it in sport plus. Pretty eye opening.
  • I'f you're under 5'10 the rear seats are perfectly comfortable.
  • I wish the trunk release would also lift the trunk lid. Perhaps there can be an aftermarket solution for the addition of trunk popping springs? It makes loading the trunk a hassle when your hands are full.
  • In sport plus the car sounds great from the inside. I don't care if it's artificial or not. The implementation is that good.
  • I wish there was a little more sound coming from the exhaust so I can feel RPM's instead of having to actively look at the gauge.
  • The transmission in sport plus is really, really fast and so responsive. And in manual mode this is the most fun car I've driven that wasn't a manual gear box. The shifts are positive and very fast.
  • The windshield wipers work great. The washer fluid sprays from the arm of the wiper which is something new for me and works quite well.
  • This version of idrive works great. the electronics in general are really well sorts and compliment the physical controls instead of replacing them!
  • The steering wheel is chunky which is a plus however it lacks form. I wish it had the same thickness whole offering more ergonomic definition so you feel more connected while driving.
  • There is no steering feel, period. You just have to trust that the front tires are holding.
  • The headlights work very well at night and you can dim the interior lighting enough to not be distracted which is great.
  • The suspension is very well damped and not overly harsh. BMW didn't try to rattle your fillings out to make you think you have great suspension. They just tuned a great suspension with travel
  • The garage door opener has crap range for my garage doors. I have to be five feet from my doors in order get them to work
  • The back up LED lights are way too dim for me. The back up camera barely shows anything when you're in an environment with no other lights around. (Perhaps I can change the bulb to brighter LEDs)
  • The stereo is good, it has good clarity for an OEM unit once you tune it to your liking

That's my stream of thought points so far. Overall I'm in absolute love with this car and I can't even imagine how insane the M2 will be if this machine is this good!
Appreciate 19
      05-16-2022, 01:35 PM   #2
Golddog
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Thanks for the write up. Seems pretty positive all around.
      05-16-2022, 01:42 PM   #3
Lord Two Hats
Product Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i,2022 M240i (ordered)

What's the options list for your 240 look like? Really appreciate this review while I'm waiting for mine!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 02:02 PM   #4
Mugen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Two Hats View Post
What's the options list for your 240 look like? Really appreciate this review while I'm waiting for mine!
Hey man, My build is:

19" M Double-spoke jet black wheels, style 791M w/performance rft
Active Blind Spot Detection
Active Driving Assistant
Adaptive M Suspension
Alarm System
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Compatibility
Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors
Comfort Access keyless entry
Connected Package Pro
ConnectedDrive Services
Daytime driving lights
Decoding for no-dazzle high-beam assistance
Dual Zone Auto Climate Control
Increased top speed limiter
Lane Departure Warning
M Sport Brakes with Red Calipers
Moonroof
Rear view camera
Runflat tires
SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 1 year subscription
Storage package
Tire pressure monitor
WiFi Hotspot with complimentary 3-month or 3GB trial
iDrive Controller non-touchpad
Aluminum Tetragon trim
Drive Recorder
Harman Kardon surround sound system
Parking Assistance Package
Premium Package
Shadowline Package
Wireless Charging
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2022, 06:16 PM   #5
Lenny33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI

Great write up. Just curious you mention sports plus mode often. Did you adhere to the break in period? Waiting on delivery myself so wondering how to handle
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 03:33 AM   #6
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i. G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny33 View Post
Great write up. Just curious you mention sports plus mode often. Did you adhere to the break in period? Waiting on delivery myself so wondering how to handle
Give it around 1000miles before you start ringing it's neck mate, BMW don't stipulated this with it not being a full fat M car. However it's still a pretty special engine and gearbox so I'd give it the care and attention it deserves. 🤘🏼
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201843.50
      05-17-2022, 05:59 AM   #7
Mugen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny33 View Post
Hi, no I didn't follow the break in. I still haven't gotten to redline ever but I make sure to keep varying rpms and put the engine under mild load and then mild back pressure manually shifting the bear box up and down the range. I'm fortunate to live in n area where we have very twisty roads that let you test a cars handling and feel without going more then 50 to 60 mph.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 06:10 AM   #8
Lenny33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI

Nice!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 06:14 AM   #9
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

You have a nice comprehensive list and I agree with most of your points. I will just add “my opinion” on two of your points.

I’ve had my M240 for a month and I’ve done some very “spirited” driving (how can you not with this car) including straight-line accelerations and “spirited” cornering.

First: I have the cognac interior and “IMO” I haven’t found lateral support to be an issue. I think the bolsters are adequate. As a matter of fact, I didn’t give them a second thought until I read your post. I’m sure more would be better but so far they seem okay. As you mentioned, the seats are comfortable.

Second: “IMO” I doubt that any RWD car in this price range like a Miata, Mustang, Camaro or GR Supra, etc. could corner like the AWD M240. The rear on the M240 just does not slip and the car never loses grip. In addition, one can start accelerating “sooner” while still “in” the corner, as there is no fear of the back end sliding. And while “in” the corner, you can also add power “sooner” because the front wheels will just pull you out of the corner. And you exit like a rocket while staying straight and true. The difference on damp roads will be even more apparent, as some reviewers have mentioned. This review posted here on the forum titled: Sick Video Review on the M240 says it all: https://g42.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1923279

With a RWD car, if the back starts to slip, adding additional power isn’t nearly as effective and of course there is no help from the front end. And you might find yourself having to making steering adjustments to compensate for backend sideways movement.

Could be that to date the BMW xdrive AWD system has been underrated, as some reviewers and traditionalists like RWD, which is understandable. But just like no stick shift can deliver quicker shifts like these modern automatics can, no RWD car can corner at speed like an AWD car. And BMW’s xdrive is a pretty awesome AWD system.

All IMO of course and I do agree with your other points.

Bob
Appreciate 3
      05-17-2022, 09:32 AM   #10
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 RSX-S

Couple points that stood out to me:
  • Do you mean leather seats? As the sport versions are not available stateside (hopefully in the future though!)
  • 37mpg in a 400hp car in amazing, none of the competition is close to this
  • 5' 10" in plenty of height clearance for the rear for most usages (if you need more, go the M340i route)
  • The HK stereo is upgraded from the F series, I've heard you still have to tweak the EQ to really make it sing
Appreciate 0