01-11-2023, 11:34 AM   #23
e36uulm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakai View Post
Hearing that you haven't experienced this last winter makes me wonder if it's a software-related issue.
We all got a software update a couple of months ago, maybe it somehow impacted how the computer controls the engine and auto start/stop...
I still have not received (or have had success in forcing) the software update, so I don’t think it’s the new code causing an issue.
Appreciate 1
polakai46.50
      01-14-2023, 11:41 AM   #24
old_man_feet
Private
Rep
Drives: '22 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburg View Post
so that the software 'wants to' turn the engine off when stopped, even though I have disabled that feature.
This is exactly what it feels like. I'm taking it in for an oil change on the 23rd. I'll report back for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 11:43 AM   #25
old_man_feet
Private
Rep

Quote:
Or maybe one of us hear something from dealer/shop
It's going in on the 23rd. I'll keep the thread updated
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 11:45 AM   #26
old_man_feet
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisiblename View Post
So you NEVER use Auto-hold' (not auto stop/start)?
Same here. Never use Auto-hold.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 11:47 AM   #27
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man_feet View Post
Same here. Never use Auto-hold.
Curious, why not? I find it very convenient
      01-17-2023, 08:06 AM   #28
polakai
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 230i (G42) TNM

Quote:
For me - 99% of the time I drive in the city (Brooklyn and Manhattan). So I have lights basically every 100 ft, and in these conditions (especially in busy traffic) you almost never come to a full stop and need to move slightly here and there.
With Auto-Hold off - I don't need to use the gas pedal to release the parking brake, I can simply release the brake pedal and move slowly in idle mode.

I used Auto-Hold before when I lived in a smaller city and I agree 100% that it's a great and practical feature overall. But I personally really hate it in the city
Appreciate 2
      01-21-2023, 05:42 PM   #29
old_man_feet
Private
Rep

Quote:
Honestly I just forget it's there.

I'm accustom to coasting forward when I release the brake pedal. For me it's not a stop and go traffic thing, it's just what I'm used to after driving for 35+ years without the feature.

It is cool though. I'll try to remember it more and see if I can figure out some situation where it helps. The first thing that pops into my mind is exiting after a long stretch on the highway. It is nice to sit at that traffic light, relax and not have to hold the brake.
Appreciate 1
polakai46.50
      01-24-2023, 01:19 AM   #30
rad_thundercat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M Package

The shuddering you mention seems different from a lot of the replies talking about a shuddering while braking but I could be wrong

Fwiw, my ‘22 230i had tons of squeals and shuddering while braking. I mentioned this at the first scheduled maintenance and the dealership kept the car for a day to take care of it.

Now it’s much better, no more squeals but it’s still challenging come to a smooth stop. I’ve mentioned this before and it seems others have had similar experiences with this car

Curious on other’s takes, Im coming from an F30 and the brakes were silky smooth
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 07:26 PM   #31
old_man_feet
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad_thundercat View Post
The shuddering you mention seems different from a lot of the replies talking about a shuddering while braking but I could be wrong

Fwiw, my ‘22 230i had tons of squeals and shuddering while braking. I mentioned this at the first scheduled maintenance and the dealership kept the car for a day to take care of it.

Now it’s much better, no more squeals but it’s still challenging come to a smooth stop. I’ve mentioned this before and it seems others have had similar experiences with this car

Curious on other’s takes, Im coming from an F30 and the brakes were silky smooth
This isn't a braking issue. I added an update on the original post if you want to check it out.

As far as braking, I did have the sticky/sensitive brake issue that it seems a lot of people do but after ~5000 miles it resolved itself. I think it was the pads that seated in or wore in. Though it could be me just getting used to it and relearning how to brake in this car.
Appreciate 1
polakai46.50
      01-25-2023, 09:35 PM   #32
e36uulm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, G42

Quote:
'22 230i ~12.5k miles over ~10 months.

After driving for any amount of time w/ Start/Stop turned off and the car is warmed up I experience shuddering at stop lights. It doesn't matter what drive mode I have been driving in. I drive normal mode on city streets and country roads and ECO 90% of the time on the highway commute.

It feels exactly like the car wants to shut off for the Stop/Start feature but it keeps running. It will do this once or twice during a stop light cycle.

I mentioned this to the SA while making my appointment for my next oil change next week. He said it was normal. "It want's to shut off but you disabled that so it just keeps running. It's normal."

That sounds like BS to me. It's really bad, extremely noticeable and just doesn't seem right to me.

I don't remember it doing that when I got the car in April and it seems like it's getting worse during the past couple of months. Could this just be a winter gas thing? Always 91 or 93 octane from Marathon or Shell.

Thanks

**UPDATE**
Monday
Oil Change
  • They were able to duplicate the issue.
  • I was asked about what fuel I was using. (see above)
  • "the shop foreman wants to keep it to let it go to sleep and recheck it tomorrow."
Tuesday
  • Replaced Spark Plugs
  • Looking into mis-fire

Wednesday
  • "Odd Situation"
  • Looking into new coils
  • "How long has this been happening?"
  • Since August/Sept
  • I mentioned you guys here on g42_BP mentioning the last Software push could have caused it.
  • "Appreciate it, we are going to do an update to eliminate that as a possibility tomorrow."
  • Took fuel samples, looks good. May drain tank tomorrow.

That's all for now.

Mark, I hope I'm not putting you on blast by putting this out. You and Bill have been outstanding and I couldn't have asked for better service. You guys are doing a great job. Thank you for keeping me informed.
Thanks for the update. My 230 is due for inspection in Feb - I'll see if I can get some answers to share next month.
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2023, 08:23 AM   #33
polakai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
This isn't a braking issue. I added an update on the original post if you want to check it out.

As far as braking, I did have the sticky/sensitive brake issue that it seems a lot of people do but after ~5000 miles it resolved itself. I think it was the pads that seated in or wore in. Though it could be me just getting used to it and relearning how to brake in this car.
Thank you for sharing the update!

My oil change and service are due in April. So I'll see if you hear anything back from the dealer since your car is already there, and they are actively investigating the issue.

I tried to record the video over the weekend and caught shuddering while recording, but when I watched it after recording, you couldn't tell it was there. Revs are stable, the sound is unrecognizable, no noticeable vibration on video.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 12:06 PM   #34
polakai
Enlisted Member
Rep

old_man_feet, just out of curiosity checking if you have already picked up your car and have any update here
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2023, 08:42 AM   #35
polakai
Enlisted Member
Rep

e36uulm old_man_feet FYI - I found the spot at the service center this week and asked them to check the car.
They run all the possible tests electronically - nothing. They drove the car a few times and couldn't repeat the issue of shuddering (unfortunately).

They said tho that they had X5 a few weeks ago with very similar "symptoms", and this X5 even stalled at the red light once after this shuddering happened. The issue was with the fuel pump.

Since they weren't able to repeat the issue and haven't found any errors via electronic tests - they don't want to start looking through details manually (which is reasonable to me).

My oil change is scheduled for April, so I guess I'll just continue to drive as is until then.
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2023, 11:52 AM   #36
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

I have not noticed the symptoms mentioned but perhaps i am oblivious (likely). I do run with auto/start stop always off, but do use auto hold, i like it.

As a side note, since this is a braking thread i will throw the following in just as a bit of info. This was taken from a BMW tech article on the DSC system. The title is a bit misleading as it is entitled "Dry Braking" but what it describes occurs only in wet conditions...what the title means it (BMW) is giving you "dry braking" during wet conditions...i found this interesting

Quote:
Dry Braking
In wet conditions, a film of water is formed on the brake discs, resulting in delayed response of the brakes.
In connection with previous systems it was therefore recommended to operate the brake from time to time in wet conditions to wipe off the water film.
This dry braking function is dependent on the activity of the windscreen wiper.
When the windscreen wiper is operating in continuous wipe mode, the wheel brakes are lightly applied against the brake disc cyclically every 90 seconds in order to wipe off the water film.
Dry braking takes place under following conditions:
• Speed > 70 km/h
• In continuous wipe mode
This applies only if the driver does not apply the brake himself during this period of time
Appreciate 2
polakai46.50
pw490.50
      02-03-2023, 12:14 PM   #37
Zyvin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Its not the brakes

My wife's 230i does this and it has nothing to do with brakes.

I have only experienced a couple of times, but literally thought the engine shut off, but the idle was back to normal by the time I look at the RPM's.

Almost as if start/stop activated for less than a second, but that feature is disabled. Again, it only does it sporadically.
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2023, 05:59 PM   #38
old_man_feet
Private
Rep

Quote:
old_man_feet, just out of curiosity checking if you have already picked up your car and have any update here
Hey sorry for ghosting last week. Really didn't have time to get back here. I got the car back on Thursday. My SA said the issue was corrected by a software update. It was not.

The next day, Friday, It happened again. It was very, very minimal. If I'm remembering correctly, it was like it was this past summer when the issue started. I decided to just drive the car as normal for the week and see what happens.

It happened again a couple of times over the weekend. Again just minimal shuddering. It slowly got worse over the course of the week.

It's not quite back to pre-repair level but it's getting close. If pre-repair level was a 7/10, yesterday I had a 5/10.

I don't think it's a software issue. Attached is the invoice page that details what was done.

Sometime this week I'll get in touch with my CA and figure out what the plan is now. I absolutely need a loaner when this is in the shop and that usually takes a couple of weeks to get scheduled. I'll keep everyone updated for sure.

Off topic: The loaner I got was a '22 228i w/ xDrive. Very bare bones. It had pep and I could tell the difference in handling between the RWD 230 and the xDrive for sure. I prefer the RWD.

The seating position and seats in the 228 were sub par for me. For three days I could never get the lumbar or seat adjusted. The doors felt really thin and plasticey. Overall it's a good car. It rode on the highway and back roads perfectly. The only issue I had were the seats and cheap feeling plastic doors. Would suggest for sure if you can get comfortable in it. It never once shuddered at a stop light either, lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
e36uulm92.50
polakai46.50
      02-05-2023, 06:01 PM   #39
old_man_feet
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyvin View Post
My wife's 230i does this and it has nothing to do with brakes.

I have only experienced a couple of times, but literally thought the engine shut off, but the idle was back to normal by the time I look at the RPM's.

Almost as if start/stop activated for less than a second, but that feature is disabled. Again, it only does it sporadically.
This is exactly what is happening to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 06:05 PM   #40
old_man_feet
Private
Rep

Quote:
e36uulm old_man_feet FYI - I found the spot at the service center this week and asked them to check the car.
They run all the possible tests electronically - nothing. They drove the car a few times and couldn't repeat the issue of shuddering (unfortunately).

They said tho that they had X5 a few weeks ago with very similar "symptoms", and this X5 even stalled at the red light once after this shuddering happened. The issue was with the fuel pump.

Since they weren't able to repeat the issue and haven't found any errors via electronic tests - they don't want to start looking through details manually (which is reasonable to me).

My oil change is scheduled for April, so I guess I'll just continue to drive as is until then.
There should be an entry in TSARA for my issue. It was entered on 01/23/23. Maybe that will give them a starting point. Good luck. Let us know what happens.
Appreciate 2
polakai46.50
e36uulm92.50
      02-07-2023, 07:56 PM   #41
peaceindriving
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 230i

Garage List
2022 Bmw 230i  [8.67]
Another 230i owner reporting in that I’ve experienced this same shuddering on occasion. I haven’t kept detailed memory when it’s happened or if it’s tied to weather…, but it’s garaged at night and I’m in SoCal so no extreme conditions. Going in for an oil change this weekend and will see if anything can be learned.
Appreciate 1
e36uulm92.50
      02-08-2023, 07:52 AM   #42
Cwatt79
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i M Sport

I have to rescind my earlier response. I am noticing this shuttering in my 230i. As others have stated, it feels just like the engine has shut down with the Auto Stop/Start, but I look down at the tach and it's still running. Weird. I suppose I'll mention it when it's time for the first oil change later this year, but I'm not too worried about it.
Appreciate 2
e36uulm92.50
polakai46.50
      02-13-2023, 06:14 PM   #43
peaceindriving
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 230i

Garage List
2022 Bmw 230i  [8.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceindriving View Post
Another 230i owner reporting in that I’ve experienced this same shuddering on occasion. I haven’t kept detailed memory when it’s happened or if it’s tied to weather…, but it’s garaged at night and I’m in SoCal so no extreme conditions. Going in for an oil change this weekend and will see if anything can be learned.
In a nutshell no update, service couldn’t look at it on the fly, need to make a specific reservation.
Appreciate 1
polakai46.50
      02-14-2023, 04:28 PM   #44
m_g42bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

I noticed the same shutter today while at a stoplight I usually drive in comfort with start/stop off. I have a M240i
Appreciate 1
polakai46.50