home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls

01-22-2024, 06:27 AM   #1
baj_baj
Private
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Clutch Pedal Catching / Sticking

I noticed a few days ago that my clutch pedal is somehow catching/sticking on the halfway point. It feels exactly the same as if it's catching the floor mat, but it isn't. It happens only when the car is cold and I press/depress the clutch quickly.
Has anyone noticed the same behaviour? I don't want to leave the car at the dealer only for them to say it's normal...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 07:39 AM   #2
Zatellia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 ZB (Manual)

Yeah I noticed that on some very cold days and when the car is cold but normal depression and release of the clutch and only noticed it once or twice but nothing too normal

Last edited by Zatellia; 01-29-2024 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 08:22 AM   #3
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by baj_baj View Post
I noticed a few days ago that my clutch pedal is somehow catching/sticking on the halfway point. It feels exactly the same as if it's catching the floor mat, but it isn't. It happens only when the car is cold and I press/depress the clutch quickly.
Has anyone noticed the same behaviour? I don't want to leave the car at the dealer only for them to say it's normal...
Do not drive my M2 below 40F. Car fitted with high performance tires and well, I have another car to use in cold weather.

I have never depressed the clutch pedal quickly then released it quickly except when the engine is up to temperature under hard acceleration I have shifted the transmission very quickly and this of course requires quick clutch operation. But I have not noticed any delay or hesitation in the clutch pedal's movement.

Now there is I believe a clutch delay valve that can slow the clutch's engagement.

With the engine properly warm I have not encountered this.

But you operating the clutch like you did when the car/clutch hydraulic system was cold that might be the clutch delay valve and its interference increased by the cold temperature.

I don't think your operating the clutch pedal in the way you did and when the clutch hydraulic system was cold is normal usage. Thus I would offer the behavior is while a bit out of the ordinary is normal.

If the clutch pedal behaves this way under real driving conditions then that could be not normal. Could be then the clutch delay valve is to blame.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 09:06 AM   #4
baj_baj
Private
Rep

I thought it might be the CDV, but there is a noticeable "click" halfway through the pedal travel, it's not just a slow pedal. Now that the outside temperatures have rissen a bit, it feels normal again...
I suspect the master cylinder, which seems unlikely with 5k km, but everything is possible...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 11:40 AM   #5
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
I thought it might be the CDV, but there is a noticeable "click" halfway through the pedal travel, it's not just a slow pedal. Now that the outside temperatures have rissen a bit, it feels normal again...
I suspect the master cylinder, which seems unlikely with 5k km, but everything is possible...
If it does it on the way in, it won't be the CDV. On the way out it could be the CDV just causing the pedal to catch up with your foot and hit it. Even when warmed up and at 30C ambient temperatures, a very quick pedal release can cause the pedal to be left behind your foot moving outwards.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 02:52 AM   #6
baj_baj
Private
Rep

It's doing it both ways. Like I said it's not that the pedal is slow, it really feels like catching the floor mat
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 10:48 AM   #7
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
It's doing it both ways. Like I said it's not that the pedal is slow, it really feels like catching the floor mat
Have you checked the floor mat to be sure it is properly positioned? Not with my M2 but with other cars the floor mat could shift position. Never enough to interfere with the clutch pedal or brake pedal or even the throttle but in getting in the car I'd notice the floor mat out of position -- tended to move forward and bunch up a bit at the floor mounted accelerator pedal.

Harder to diagnose would be bad clutch pedal linkage. I'd have to believe a tech would know what to look for how to check the linkage for proper movement with no binding.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 06:20 AM   #8
baj_baj
Private
Rep

I pulled the floor mat completely out just to be sure, but nothing... It must be in the linkage or something further down the chain...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 01:34 AM   #9
6spbmw
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
I pulled the floor mat completely out just to be sure, but nothing... It must be in the linkage or something further down the chain...
I noticed the same issue this evening. Car/environment was on the cooler side - about 50 degrees F. Seems like it went away after 10-15 mins of driving. Did you get this checked out by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:22 AM   #10
baj_baj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spbmw View Post
I noticed the same issue this evening. Car/environment was on the cooler side - about 50 degrees F. Seems like it went away after 10-15 mins of driving. Did you get this checked out by any chance?
February is quite warm here, so the issue didn’t come up again, but I will probably drive to the dealership as soon as the temperatures drop. Luckily I have a dealership a few min away so the car won’t have the chance to warm up and they can repeat the issue
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 11:24 AM   #11
6spbmw
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
February is quite warm here, so the issue didn’t come up again, but I will probably drive to the dealership as soon as the temperatures drop. Luckily I have a dealership a few min away so the car won’t have the chance to warm up and they can repeat the issue
Sounds good. Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 06:41 PM   #12
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

This would happen occasionally on my F87, not sure why.
Appreciate 0