BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls

08-25-2023, 03:57 PM   #1
gcmak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 & IS500

Question Driver-Side Window Malfunction

I've owned my G87 for just over a month and 1,100 miles and I just got my first electric gremlin.

The driver side door window stopped functioning - it didn't lower for opening, thus making closing the door difficult and it doesn't seal either but thankfully it doesn't appear to damage the trim or the glass from what I could tell. The window switch on the door didn't work either; the memory seat buttons also didn't work.

After a few on/off/lock/unlock/buckle seatbelt attempts, it randomly started functioning again.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 08:33 AM   #2
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmak View Post
I've owned my G87 for just over a month and 1,100 miles and I just got my first electric gremlin.

The driver side door window stopped functioning - it didn't lower for opening, thus making closing the door difficult and it doesn't seal either but thankfully it doesn't appear to damage the trim or the glass from what I could tell. The window switch on the door didn't work either; the memory seat buttons also didn't work.

After a few on/off/lock/unlock/buckle seatbelt attempts, it randomly started functioning again.

Had a passenger window in my Porsche Boxster fail to drop when the door was opened. Or worse dropped but once the door was opened it went up on its own.

There were other symptoms. Doors randomly locking when pulling away.

Tech diagnosed a bad door lock controller.

But in the case of your car with the window switch not working and the memory seat buttons not working that's hard to believe a door lock controller is responsible.

Admit I don't know how BMW has assigned various functions to what controller.

Some cars water in the door can cause odd behavior. Sure your car is new but a leak can arise from a bad seal or a damaged seal this during assembly. The seal or seals keeps the water from the wet side of the door from the dry side.

Check/feel along the door bottoms for dampness. Check the carpet next to the door. Not sure the water level -- assuming of course there is any water in the door in the first place -- is this bad but shaking the door and listening for signs of water sloshing ain't necessarily a bad idea.

(After some years another car of mine developed damp carpets. Door seal (membrane) bad. Had both replaced. It is a good habit to get into after washing the car or it being out in the rain to check for carpet dampness. If there is a leak you want to catch ASAP.)

Regardless if it is water or something else it is not something you can fix on your driveway.

Think you need to have the car in for the behavior.
Appreciate 2
gcmak135.50
      08-28-2023, 09:59 PM   #3
gcmak
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
But in the case of your car with the window switch not working and the memory seat buttons not working that's hard to believe a door lock controller is responsible.

Check/feel along the door bottoms for dampness. Check the carpet next to the door. Not sure the water level -- assuming of course there is any water in the door in the first place -- is this bad but shaking the door and listening for signs of water sloshing ain't necessarily a bad idea.

Think you need to have the car in for the behavior.
Thanks. The odd part is the passenger window button was working fine and its been working without fail since. I will mention it to my service advisor tomorrow when I go in for my break-in service.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 08:47 AM   #4
DAXXR
M2 comp
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Just had this happen on my G42, UK passenger side, so same side as yours.

Did you have any luck with the dealers ?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 01:14 AM   #5
gcmak
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXXR View Post
Just had this happen on my G42, UK passenger side, so same side as yours.

Did you have any luck with the dealers ?
Mine hasn’t done it again. Unless it’s pretty repeatable or is a stored fault, the dealer won’t do anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 11:07 AM   #6
DAXXR
M2 comp
Rep

I have booked mine into the dealers, it does it every day now.
Thankfully it's the passenger window.
Appreciate 1
gcmak135.50
      10-03-2023, 11:47 AM   #7
gcmak
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXXR View Post
I have booked mine into the dealers, it does it every day now.
Thankfully it's the passenger window.
Did this get resolved?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 12:32 PM   #8
DAXXR
M2 comp
Rep

It's booked in to the dealers for next month, that's the earliest slot they had.
Last night the window decided to not go up, after a few minutes it finally closed.
I dare not use the window at all now, really annoying.
I will post the outcome of what they do.
Appreciate 1
gcmak135.50
      10-15-2023, 09:22 PM   #9
DarkNight707
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 (2024),BMW E82(2009)-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmak View Post

Unfortunaltley yes. I took delivery 5 days ago and have 192 miles. Any updates from the dealer? Was it fixed?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 10:01 PM   #10
1stM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Maybe trying to reset it. Here is how.

Appreciate 1
      10-15-2023, 11:31 PM   #11
DarkNight707
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 (2024),BMW E82(2009)-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stM View Post
Maybe trying to reset it. Here is how.

https://youtu.be/8-9XRtkj3Gk?si=7Fe65mpLum2dNNGE
Will try it but my window is dead. No up, no down. And the beeping sound of the alarm is also gone. The red flashing light is on. Maybe the car recognizes there is an issue. Got the layout of the fuse boxes. Tried to access the fuse box but have no idea how to get to it (the front fuse box). Will schedule service tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 11:31 AM   #12
DAXXR
M2 comp
Rep

Mine is still doing this, even after the latest software auto updated.
Still got a few weeks until it goes in for repair.
I will update the outcome.

What I notice is the window works in the morning, but fails in the afternoon. Weird !
Appreciate 1
gcmak135.50
      11-08-2023, 09:59 AM   #13
DAXXR
M2 comp
Rep

Update;

Garage say its the window motor at fault

Edit: motor replaced under warranty and it seems fine now.

Last edited by DAXXR; 11-23-2023 at 02:41 AM..
Appreciate 2
gcmak135.50
      03-06-2024, 09:08 AM   #14
dadjoker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

I am having the same issue now. Reset did not work. Car only has 700 miles, and this is the second electrical issue I've had. The windshield wipers also failed last week.
Appreciate 1
gcmak135.50
      03-06-2024, 11:02 AM   #15
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadjoker View Post
I am having the same issue now. Reset did not work. Car only has 700 miles, and this is the second electrical issue I've had. The windshield wipers also failed last week.
Well, that's unfortunate.

All I can offer is the car has a new car warranty for just such things. You need to get the car in for the behavior.

Odds are very high the issues will be resolved and I don't want to seem like I'm over reacting but with electrical issues at rather distant/unrelated areas (window and windshield wipers) you should consider researching lemon law in your state and do what is necessary to build a case... just in case.
Appreciate 1
gcmak135.50
      03-06-2024, 06:59 PM   #16
gcmak
Private
United_States
Rep

I haven't had the same issue pop up again, just the recurring and rather embarrassing/annoying issue of the driver side door handle sensor to unlock the car doesn't seem to function consistently.

The passenger side is fine. I'm going to chuckle if one day it's taken apart and connectors are just a bit loose.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:25 AM   #17
dadjoker
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, that's unfortunate.

All I can offer is the car has a new car warranty for just such things. You need to get the car in for the behavior.

Odds are very high the issues will be resolved and I don't want to seem like I'm over reacting but with electrical issues at rather distant/unrelated areas (window and windshield wipers) you should consider researching lemon law in your state and do what is necessary to build a case... just in case.
I’m in the military so getting the car in is tough as this is my only car at the moment. I can only go on the weekends and the nearest service center is an hour away. They can’t get it done in a single day and I need a car during the week for work. I’m also too young for them to give me a loaner
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 11:21 AM   #18
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m in the military so getting the car in is tough as this is my only car at the moment. I can only go on the weekends and the nearest service center is an hour away. They can’t get it done in a single day and I need a car during the week for work. I’m also too young for them to give me a loaner
Complications that's for sure.

All I can offer is it is almost always better to get this taken care of sooner rather than later.

While it might be a bit of effort/even inconvenience on your part my experience is things go from bad to worse and at the most inopportune time.

Can't get a loaner? Can you arrange to rent a car to use while your car is in the shop?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 09:05 AM   #19
dadjoker
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Complications that's for sure.

All I can offer is it is almost always better to get this taken care of sooner rather than later.

While it might be a bit of effort/even inconvenience on your part my experience is things go from bad to worse and at the most inopportune time.

Can't get a loaner? Can you arrange to rent a car to use while your car is in the shop?
I'd rather not pay to rent one for an entire week as the dealership said they wouldn't reimburse me. I'll probably just get rides from friends for a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 10:43 AM   #20
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd rather not pay to rent one for an entire week as the dealership said they wouldn't reimburse me. I'll probably just get rides from friends for a while.
Well, that's of course entirely up to you. I would just urge you to get the issue looked into and resolved sooner rather than later.
Appreciate 1
dadjoker112.50