BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls

12-15-2023, 08:53 PM   #1
M2BOT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [10.00]
I know the answers gonna be just take it to the dealer but I’m getting random check engine lights when I shift the 6MT (usually in 1st) where the gear number in the dash will disappear and then throw a code which returns “Gear Sensor: gear lever position invalid”

I’m assuming I have a bum sensor for the shifter that tells the ECU which gear I’m in and it flake occasionally.

Wondering if anyone else’s had this problem and if it’s something small. I’d hate to take it to the dealer for 2 weeks just to have them not be able to reproduce it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 07:17 PM   #2
CoolATIGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 340i 6MT xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2BOT View Post
I know the answers gonna be just take it to the dealer but I’m getting random check engine lights when I shift the 6MT (usually in 1st) where the gear number in the dash will disappear and then throw a code which returns “Gear Sensor: gear lever position invalid”

I’m assuming I have a bum sensor for the shifter that tells the ECU which gear I’m in and it flake occasionally.

Wondering if anyone else’s had this problem and if it’s something small. I’d hate to take it to the dealer for 2 weeks just to have them not be able to reproduce it.

Did you ever figure this out?
Appreciate 1
M2BOT93.00
      04-13-2024, 10:02 AM   #3
islandfalconer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Having the same issue. Now need to find this gizmo
Appreciate 1
M2BOT93.00
      04-28-2024, 07:30 PM   #4
M2BOT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandfalconer View Post
Having the same issue. Now need to find this gizmo
I turned off auto start stop and never happened again since. I think it has to do with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 08:00 PM   #5
islandfalconer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2BOT View Post
I turned off auto start stop and never happened again since. I think it has to do with that.
My auto start stop isn’t on. And now the car is undriveable and sitting at the dealership. It surges and stalls. It’s a danger to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 08:10 AM   #6
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
My auto start stop isn’t on. And now the car is undriveable and sitting at the dealership. It surges and stalls. It’s a danger to drive.
Stating the obvious the car needs to be picked up via a flat bed tow truck and brought to a dealer service department for proper diagnosis.

And before the tow truck gets to your place write on a letter size sheet of paper in big bold/black lettering "DO NOT DRIVE!" and tape this in a very prominent place to the inside of the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 08:19 AM   #7
islandfalconer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Stating the obvious the car needs to be picked up via a flat bed tow truck and brought to a dealer service department for proper diagnosis.

And before the tow truck gets to your place write on a letter size sheet of paper in big bold/black lettering "DO NOT DRIVE!" and tape this in a very prominent place to the inside of the windshield.
It’s at the dealership. They can figure it out
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 09:03 AM   #8
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
It’s at the dealership. They can figure it out

I'm sure the problem will be sorted.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 02:27 PM   #9
islandfalconer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
I'm sure the problem will be sorted.
Oh yeah they will sort it I’m sure. Needs a new transmission and that’s “back ordered” so my summer car is now parked at the dealership with 2000km on it. Great investment of $80k I’m a little disappointed that a brand new car is basically useless.
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2024, 05:08 PM   #10
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Oh yeah they will sort it I’m sure. Needs a new transmission and that’s “back ordered” so my summer car is now parked at the dealership with 2000km on it. Great investment of $80k I’m a little disappointed that a brand new car is basically useless.
Don’t worry I’m sure you will appreciate it more after driving something else for a while. ZF probably still have some parts challenges, I found it took me 9 months to get all the parts for the blown engine on my Caterham due to parts being back ordered, blew the engine at the beginning of last track season and only just have the car ready for this year - drove a Toyota Echo on slicks last year and still had fun.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2024, 06:10 PM   #11
islandfalconer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Don’t worry I’m sure you will appreciate it more after driving something else for a while. ZF probably still have some parts challenges, I found it took me 9 months to get all the parts for the blown engine on my Caterham due to parts being back ordered, blew the engine at the beginning of last track season and only just have the car ready for this year - drove a Toyota Echo on slicks last year and still had fun.
Yeah if it wasn’t for the payment I make every month. It’s one thing to own a new car that’s working, but a new car that’s not in my garage and that I’m paying for isn’t so great. Anyway they are trying to find me something to drive.
Appreciate 2
aerobod3706.00
      05-01-2024, 07:14 AM   #12
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: an old Ford

Quote:
Yeah if it wasn’t for the payment I make every month. It’s one thing to own a new car that’s working, but a new car that’s not in my garage and that I’m paying for isn’t so great. Anyway they are trying to find me something to drive.
Sorry to hear this. Is there a "lemon law" in Canada?
      05-01-2024, 10:28 AM   #13
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hankey View Post
Quebec has a new "citron" law that is probably the best in North America, other provinces have some less effective laws, but in any case the dealer has 3 attempts to rectify the problem, so the OP's car is a long way from lemon status.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1071.00
      05-01-2024, 10:34 AM   #14
islandfalconer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hankey View Post
No, best we can ask for is arbitration, or we have to go to court. It’s not as easy as the USA. I do wish we had lemon laws. But frankly it astounds me that BMW has this policy of 1- Re-program car, send it home. If it breaks again, try a sensor, but they openly admit that likely its internal to the transmission. But! They can’t replace the transmission without replacing the sensor and “trying” that first. So basically wait weeks for a back ordered sensor, and if that doesn’t fix it, wait weeks more for a back ordered transmission. This car has less than 2000km on it. Why not just fix it once instead of stringing the customer around. I get if it’s a 4 year old car and your trying to save the customer money. But right now I have a brand new car and they want to “try” to fix it. What pisses me off most is this is my 6th BMW. So much for customer loyalty. Whatever I’m sure they will sort it. But me making a monthly payment and probably being without the car during the only months I drive it is a genuine piss off. At least the dealer made good today and I have a car to drive now. M4 Competition. So theees that saving grace. I had to basically argue with them to get something that isn’t an enterprise rental Malibu.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      05-01-2024, 10:35 AM   #15
islandfalconer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Quebec has a new "citron" law that is probably the best in North America, other provinces have some less effective laws, but in any case the dealer has 3 attempts to rectify the problem, so the OP's car is a long way from lemon status.
Actually this is attempt #2 now. So I’d be one more attempt and in “lemon” status.
Appreciate 1
aerobod3706.00
      05-01-2024, 09:18 PM   #16
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: an old Ford

Quote:
Actually this is attempt #2 now. So I’d be one more attempt and in “lemon” status.
Sorry for what you’re going through. I hope they get the part, get it fixed and it’s good as new. At least they can through with the M4.