home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls

03-23-2024, 04:56 AM   #1
Toadus
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

New M2 with a strange noise on bumpy / uneven road surfaces

Hi guys.

This is my first post on your forum. I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a couple of small issues I have with my new M2. I have only had the car one week, coming from a couple of years ownership on an M2C, and I absolutely love it!

The main issue is a noise coming from the rear, but hard to tell if it's from outside the car or not. When I drove the car away from the dealership, I immediately heard it and thought maybe the boot wasn't shut properly, as the noise was a metallic "clink" you might compare to a steel clip in a door not correctly seated.

I've been reading through the forum over the past few days and have seen a number of posts relating to suspension noises, but they seem to be a little different. The noise I can hear is not a thud, it's a metal on metal noise. Sometimes it's not just a single "clink", it's two or three together, almost like a rattle. I've had the seats and arm rest down, checked the battery seating, etc. I'm running out of ideas. Oddly, you can go over large bumps and not hear a peep, and then go over the smallest bump and it goes off. What I can say for certain, is that if either rear tyre goes over a catseye, it always happens.

The other issue is to do with the collision warning system. The icon
in the centre console comes on at random. For example, reversed from my driveway this morning, starting going forwards and it came on and remained on for roughly 20 seconds, even though there were no other cars on the road. It also came on again a few miles later, also when there were no cars around.

Anyway! Despite these two issues, I'm so happy with the car. It's been a while since I've owned a brand spanker!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 09:06 AM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadus View Post
Hi guys.

This is my first post on your forum. I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a couple of small issues I have with my new M2. I have only had the car one week, coming from a couple of years ownership on an M2C, and I absolutely love it!

The main issue is a noise coming from the rear, but hard to tell if it's from outside the car or not. When I drove the car away from the dealership, I immediately heard it and thought maybe the boot wasn't shut properly, as the noise was a metallic "clink" you might compare to a steel clip in a door not correctly seated.

I've been reading through the forum over the past few days and have seen a number of posts relating to suspension noises, but they seem to be a little different. The noise I can hear is not a thud, it's a metal on metal noise. Sometimes it's not just a single "clink", it's two or three together, almost like a rattle. I've had the seats and arm rest down, checked the battery seating, etc. I'm running out of ideas. Oddly, you can go over large bumps and not hear a peep, and then go over the smallest bump and it goes off. What I can say for certain, is that if either rear tyre goes over a catseye, it always happens.

The other issue is to do with the collision warning system. The icon
in the centre console comes on at random. For example, reversed from my driveway this morning, starting going forwards and it came on and remained on for roughly 20 seconds, even though there were no other cars on the road. It also came on again a few miles later, also when there were no cars around.

Anyway! Despite these two issues, I'm so happy with the car. It's been a while since I've owned a brand spanker!
The most obvious thing I would check is the exhaust flap and it’s actuator mechanism. It typically starts with the flap open then closes soon after engine start. Switching the exhaust flap button (on the centre console) on and off may replicate the noise.
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2024, 03:06 AM   #3
Toadus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
The most obvious thing I would check is the exhaust flap and it’s actuator mechanism. It typically starts with the flap open then closes soon after engine start. Switching the exhaust flap button (on the centre console) on and off may replicate the noise.
Thanks for the help.

I tried this, but couldn't get any noise to happen when switching it on / off.

I had a friend kindly sit in the back with the back seats down. After some testing, he was able to locate the noise which was coming from the rear right wheel area. Other than that, still stumped! I've informed the dealer
Appreciate 1
aerobod3706.00
      04-02-2024, 04:55 PM   #4
Shadak
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Thanks for the help.

I tried this, but couldn't get any noise to happen when switching it on / off.

I had a friend kindly sit in the back with the back seats down. After some testing, he was able to locate the noise which was coming from the rear right wheel area. Other than that, still stumped! I've informed the dealer
if you can reprosuce the noise for the dealer thats good, some times its the weirdest things, my dealer is quite good at this, they fixed on my M140 strange noises some of them made by isofix mounts in the rear and also once had to readjust door striker thingy to get rid of a creak.
Appreciate 1
Toadus1.50
      04-02-2024, 06:07 PM   #5
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Shipping blocks removed from suspension?
Appreciate 2
Resoelg255.00
Toadus1.50
      04-06-2024, 08:09 AM   #6
Toadus
Rep

It's not going in to the dealership until the end of April. I will update with the findings as soon as I can. As long as there's some rough road near to them, they should be able to pick up on the noise.

I drove over some cats eyes recently, and when the rear right wheel hits one, instead of the usual "thump" sound, you hear a "clink". Very odd!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 03:31 PM   #7
RootsTootsMagoots
Private
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I has this noise over bumps and it ended it being the license plate frame that the dealer slapped on. I ordered a silicone one from Amazon and used 4 screws to hold it all in place. No more noise over bumps.
Appreciate 1
Toadus1.50
      04-08-2024, 03:23 AM   #8
Toadus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post
Shipping blocks removed from suspension?
Thanks. I will mention the possibility to the technician.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 03:24 AM   #9
Toadus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootsTootsMagoots View Post
I has this noise over bumps and it ended it being the license plate frame that the dealer slapped on. I ordered a silicone one from Amazon and used 4 screws to hold it all in place. No more noise over bumps.
I will have a look! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 03:28 AM   #10
Toadus
Rep

I've recorded a quick video of the noise. It's not a great effort! You will probably need to turn whatever sound source you have up to 11

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 01:25 PM   #11
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

This is highly unlikely since your car is new and unmodified. Try shaking the car vigorously while in a stand still by standing on top of the door frame both left and right and see if it duplicates the sound. If it does it's definitely suspension related. I recently replaced my springs and I forgot to tighten the rear sway bars to torque specs and it made a similar sound to yours. It was not loose but torquing it to specs made the sound go away.
      05-02-2024, 02:36 AM   #12
Toadus
Rep

I had my RIS done the other day and the noise investigated at the same time. They discussed with me that they found a slightly loose strap on the driver's side fuel tank, which meant that the tank could foul the heat shield with enough force. I was delighted to hear this, as it sounded very plausible. Sadly, on the drive back home, the same noise was still happening. The mystery continues. I hope it doesn't turn into one of those things that never gets sorted.

The dealership seemed very thorough. They said they have 4 technicians underneath, trying to discover any noise. They road-tested and all seemed well. They were kind enough to lend me a car in the meantime, as they weren't 100% sure how long the RIS + investigation would take. It was another m2! And it didn't make a single peep of noise; so it's not just in my head!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 06:08 AM   #13
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Sucks man. I’ve had this before in a few cars. Really can kill some of the enjoyment and sanity behind the wheel.
      05-06-2024, 02:19 AM   #14
Toadus
Rep

I can't yet say with 100% confidence, but I *think* I've figured this out. I've noted a few stretches of road where the noise always occurs, so it's given me the opportunity to do some testing. What I've found is that if I apply the brakes when the rear tyres go over the bump / rough bit of road, there is no noise. If this is the case, it would seem perhaps that the noise is coming from the the rear brake pads? Does the sound in the video marry up with what a loose pad might sound like? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 11:25 AM   #15
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
I can't yet say with 100% confidence, but I *think* I've figured this out. I've noted a few stretches of road where the noise always occurs, so it's given me the opportunity to do some testing. What I've found is that if I apply the brakes when the rear tyres go over the bump / rough bit of road, there is no noise. If this is the case, it would seem perhaps that the noise is coming from the the rear brake pads? Does the sound in the video marry up with what a loose pad might sound like? Thoughts?
One can only do so much behind the wheel. Someone has to get his hands dirty.

The noise could be from the pads, although there is hardware to prevent pad rattle. But the hardware could be missing or broken.

For suspected brake hardware, pads, or ?, the car needs to be properly lifted and the wheels left hanging so they can be removed and the brakes inspected for any thing that could possibly account for the noise.

At the same time a check of all the under body panels needs to be made looking for any loose panels. And this would be a good time to check whatever suspension/drive train hardware one can get at for any play or looseness.
Appreciate 0