BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

11-02-2023, 05:16 PM   #1
Sleslie
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i xDrive

Long Lead Delivery - Trade In

I’m considering moving up from my 2017 230i to a 2024 M240i. My understanding is that I should expect a pretty significant delay between ordering and delivery (6+ months?). Given these long delivery timelines how are owners & dealerships handling trade ins? Does the dealership just assume a delivery date and adjust depreciation/trade in value to that date? Owners just continue t maintain and accumulate mileage?

When I bought my 230 it was only a couple of months to wait (it actually took a couple of weeks longer than forecasted and I ended up having to turn in my old car on the forecasted date and the dealership provided me with a loner for a couple of weeks).
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 05:31 PM   #2
BG42
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleslie View Post
I’m considering moving up from my 2017 230i to a 2024 M240i. My understanding is that I should expect a pretty significant delay between ordering and delivery (6+ months?). Given these long delivery timelines how are owners & dealerships handling trade ins? Does the dealership just assume a delivery date and adjust depreciation/trade in value to that date? Owners just continue t maintain and accumulate mileage?

When I bought my 230 it was only a couple of months to wait (it actually took a couple of weeks longer than forecasted and I ended up having to turn in my old car on the forecasted date and the dealership provided me with a loner for a couple of weeks).
Best answer comes from the dealer I would think. Allocations and what not all matter, if you order now and they already have an available allocation or if you order now and have to wait a month or two for an allocation. How they value your trade again all on the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 05:49 PM   #3
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

What BG42 said.
I've seen delivery wait times from 2 months to 9 months or more.
With the 2022 models and ordering late 2021 and the supposed supply chain holdups, many (including me) were getting em roughly 2 months from ordering.
I suspect single biggest variable to length of time for delivery is to make sure you order from a dealer that has an open allocation (verify) that you can fill. I would not hesitate to travel multi-state to get an open allocation as it might save me 3-6 months waiting time. I suspect some of the long waits were due to buyers placing orders with a dealer not having an open allocation and potentially others customers already in que for orders.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 07:37 PM   #4
Sleslie
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
Best answer comes from the dealer I would think. Allocations and what not all matter, if you order now and they already have an available allocation or if you order now and have to wait a month or two for an allocation. How they value your trade again all on the dealer.
Yes, ultimately you are right about answer coming from the dealer, however I thought it would be helpful to know how others have addressed this issue before I start discussions/negotiations with the dealer.

Good advice regarding allocations, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 07:52 PM   #5
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleslie View Post
Yes, ultimately you are right about answer coming from the dealer, however I thought it would be helpful to know how others have addressed this issue before I start discussions/negotiations with the dealer.

Good advice regarding allocations, thanks.
as we have said, it's gonna be up to the dealer. Yes you can negotiate (to a degree) trade in allowance, but the determination as to whether they will lock that in at the time of order, or if it will be re-appraised at the time of delivery is entirely up to your dealer, doubtful if that can be negotiated but regardless it will vary (if at all) by dealer. It is also possible the trade in value they give you will factor in the anticipated depreciation at delivery time. Me can't help ya, rarely trade in, I sell outright private party.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 09:26 PM   #6
Jacob657
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 230i Sport Line

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [8.50]
I’ve read on here about dealers giving a timeframe on how long their estimate is good for, I’ve read about dealers refusing to until the car arrived, I’ve read about dealers giving a trade value 3 months out, and I’ve read about dealers giving a date to trade in but people were left stranded with no car due to whatever reason was provided for the order being delayed/cancelled. Unfortunately everything is totally up to the dealer. I’m in this boat with financing, incentives, and these insane interest rates. Everything is up in the air and I’m following my order closely to get it prepped for a trade offer when the time comes. My dealer did tell me they will give me a value when the car was a few weeks out- meaning the boat is near its destination port. The used market is crazy right now and I think dealers are waiting for used values to drop in hopes they don’t screw themselves on a trade. Best bet is to inquire with dealer and have something in writing if you do get an offer on your car early. Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 01:44 AM   #7
netgear
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G21

Here is my situation from Slovenia. I ordered G42 on May 29 and we agreed to trade in my current G21. Dealer asked me how many kilometers will my car have in 6 months because that was estimated delivery time and then we agreed on price. Now after 5 months dealer told me that the car will come 1-2 month later than we agreed but it won’t affect our deal for my old car even if it will have more kilometers.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 11:35 AM   #8
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

I had my trade in price locked in, the dealer and I knew the delivery was going to be around 4 to 5 months. I had to do some finagling with the pricing at delivery, but they were willing to match the pricing we laid out from the beginning. It's all up to the dealer, some will do this, some will not. I did the same thing back in 2014/2015 on my factory order Mustang. It took 3 dealers to finally come to an agreed upon locked-in price.

One thing to consider, if you're leasing, the residual will worsen over the months while you wait for delivery. You may need to beg and plead your dealer to hold the overall price/payment since this worsens your deal. Mine dropped 2%, but I was able to negotiate it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 01:09 PM   #9
Brian1988
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW, G42

Depends on your location and availability of an allocation as others have said.

I live in Southern California and received my 2024 m240i just shy of two months after placing my order with an available allocation.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 09:13 PM   #10
JoeG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

I’m also trading in a truck on Long Island. The dealer will do an appraisal once my car gets on a ship. I’m also checking with CarMax. If the dealership is reasonably close to that, I’ll save myself the headache and trade it in. They did offer to appraise it earlier if I wanted to trade the truck in early, but I declined that.
Appreciate 0