home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

11-06-2023, 03:09 PM   #1
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Series (G42)

M Performance effect on handling/performance

Hey all, I have an M240i arriving soon and I’m very tempted by the M Performance front splitter and rear wing.

Of course these parts are largely for cosmetics but how do they effect performance and handling.

I really love the way these parts look, but I’m not tracking the car regularly and so the performance impact from adding these parts is negative.

More drag, lower top speed and maybe even messing up handling at high speed.

What is everybodies real world experience?

Please don’t guess or hypothesise. Looking for real examples.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 04:07 PM   #2
BG42
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

You wont notice a difference.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 04:22 PM   #3
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

You’ll have a weight saving from a lighter wallet. That is all.
Appreciate 5
      11-06-2023, 04:23 PM   #4
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
You’ll have a weight saving from a lighter wallet. That is all.
See that was funny 🤣
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 05:45 PM   #5
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
You wont notice a difference.
I’m not sure about this. I’ve heard from someone their non m performance splitter slowed them down by about 5 mph and made the car feel light at high speed.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 06:23 PM   #6
TheGeekGuy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

I have both and it is purely cosmetic. As an added bonus there are cheaper versions available on the Interwebs if you're mechanically minded.

AutoID
IND Distribution

Gone but not forgotten:
2021 MINI JCW GP • 2016 MINI JCW • 2012 MINI Couper S • 2010 MINI Cooper S Camden Edition
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 06:46 PM   #7
BG42
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmoretea View Post
I’m not sure about this. I’ve heard from someone their non m performance splitter slowed them down by about 5 mph and made the car feel light at high speed.
They probably have 225 all seasons all around with a lower speed limiter, and there have been a couple threads about the stock alignment making the car feel very light.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 12:32 AM   #8
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They probably have 225 all seasons all around with a lower speed limiter, and there have been a couple threads about the stock alignment making the car feel very light.
They had the bigger wheels and tyre package
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 08:02 AM   #9
BG42
Captain
United_States
Rep

Dunno know what to tell you then I guess, mine still hits speed govern with both on fairly easy 155 comes pretty quick. Hell shes got a ton more if it werent for that pesky limiter. I assume you have never seen the oem splitter in person its pretty small, think thats what made the essentials CF one from AutoID popular is its quite a bit more aggressive.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2023, 08:20 AM   #10
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

You're not going to get a "real" answer on this.

I doubt anyone has driven a G42 with and without the MP CF front and rear spoilers back to back on a track.

You're not going to be able to get anywhere close to the limit on public roads where the miniminal impact they have on downforce becomes noticeable. And even then, you'd have to be a really experienced driver to even feel the difference.

What I can say is that BMW does not allow you to spec the wing on a G42 without the front lip. They claim having one without the other can cause instability at high speed.

I had both on my G42. I don't think it had any impact on my car with the types of driving I was doing. I also destroyed the front lip on a parking block and noticed no difference with it damaged. Ironically, the dealer I traded it in to removed the broken front spoiler, did not replace it, and sold the car to someone 6 days after I traded it in.

On my G87 I have the wing and BMW doesn't have any issue with it on the G87 with no front lip. Take that for what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 08:28 AM   #11
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dunno know what to tell you then I guess, mine still hits speed govern with both on fairly easy 155 comes pretty quick. Hell shes got a ton more if it werent for that pesky limiter. I assume you have never seen the oem splitter in person its pretty small, think thats what made the essentials CF one from AutoID popular is its quite a bit more aggressive.
I have actually seen plenty of demo cars IRL with the full kit. I was never expecting it to make a huge difference but obviously it is adding drag and someone I spoke to gave me the impression it made more of a difference than I expected, hence this thread. But thanks for the info sounds like it’s nothing to worry about (besides the insane cost of the OEM front splitter that will either be obliterated by stones or an object)

And tbf it was an Auto ID one that my friend said maid a difference to front stability and speed, but also the cannards on their A45 AMG were apparently noticeable in a big way on top speed

I’m sure M Performance is fine, just for looks anyway.

I don’t care if it doesn’t add performance, so long as it doesn’t hurt it.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 10:42 AM   #12
JoeyJoeJo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240ix

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but wouldn't things like tyre pressures, ambient temperatures, how much fuel you're carrying etc be more likely to have far more impact on absolute performance numbers than what are pretty minor "aero" parts? Very unlikely to be doing top speed runs pre/post fitting with identical conditions I'd have thought, lots of variabilty.
      11-07-2023, 10:45 AM   #13
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJo View Post
Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but wouldn't things like tyre pressures, ambient temperatures, how much fuel you're carrying etc be more likely to have far more impact on absolute performance numbers than what are pretty minor "aero" parts? Very unlikely to be doing top speed runs pre/post fitting with identical conditions I'd have thought, lots of variabilty.
Sounds like a good idea for me to be the test mule for this!
Yeah these are valid points and honestly don’t know the answer.

I really didn’t think these aero parts would reduce top speed or acceleration much at all, if anything. But like I said a friend with some third party replica parts felt an issue. Of course not apples to apples seeing as those parts weren’t OEM but it did get me wondering as of course these parts are adding drag

Interesting comment from someone above saying BMW wouldn’t let them do rear wing only as it messes the balance up. So if that is true then clearly the parts are doing something
Appreciate 0