BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

12-03-2023, 02:01 AM   #1
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Clutch Feedback + 6MT Questions.

Anyone with a 6MT feel a slight clutch reverb feedback or an RPM vibration when disengaging clutch at RPM’s higher than 3k? It almost feels like the engine is fighting back a bit through the clutch.

First time I started noticing this was at about 200 miles in. I haven’t dropped the clutch, gone above 4000 RPM, and I like to think I shift pretty conservatively for the time being.

Maybe a flywheel issue? Or is this just performance clutch giving me feedback? It doesn’t happen all the time, and there’s no noises, just feedback feeling.

Other things I have noticed:

- At super low RPM’s, I have literally “popped” out of second as I was moving into third. I’m talking like if im driving my girlfriend and needing to keep it smooth as possible. Normal?

- The throws seem rubbery for sure, however at un-optimal RPM I get a double click feedback when shifting into gears (usually sub 2500 RPM). But- when in sweet spots around 3000+ RPM I’m getting a sweet POP! Right into gear with no double click. Anyone feel this also?

- Uncomfy car lurches when I’m pulling out of my garage when cold. I’m talking 1000RPM clutch out just to get the car rolling. I don’t like to slip clutch a lot but this is usually the time I do.

This is just my initial feedback ~500 miles in.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 05:42 AM   #2
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
Anyone with a 6MT feel a slight clutch reverb feedback or an RPM vibration when disengaging clutch at RPM’s higher than 3k? It almost feels like the engine is fighting back a bit through the clutch.

First time I started noticing this was at about 200 miles in. I haven’t dropped the clutch, gone above 4000 RPM, and I like to think I shift pretty conservatively for the time being.

Maybe a flywheel issue? Or is this just performance clutch giving me feedback? It doesn’t happen all the time, and there’s no noises, just feedback feeling.

Other things I have noticed:

- At super low RPM’s, I have literally “popped” out of second as I was moving into third. I’m talking like if im driving my girlfriend and needing to keep it smooth as possible. Normal?

- The throws seem rubbery for sure, however at un-optimal RPM I get a double click feedback when shifting into gears (usually sub 2500 RPM). But- when in sweet spots around 3000+ RPM I’m getting a sweet POP! Right into gear with no double click. Anyone feel this also?

- Uncomfy car lurches when I’m pulling out of my garage when cold. I’m talking 1000RPM clutch out just to get the car rolling. I don’t like to slip clutch a lot but this is usually the time I do.

This is just my initial feedback ~500 miles in.
Experienced none of those things with my 6-speed M2.

However, similar to brake disc/pad break in the clutch goes through a break in process too. That is the flywheel/disc/pressure plate friction surfaces and to a lesser extent the clutch master/slave cylinders.

The bit of feedback you are feeling could go away with more use. I'll say right here my M2's clutch/shifter/transmission got better with more use and sure more practice on my part. I don't recall at how many miles but it wasn't a lot.

Popping out of gear is never normal. The few times this has happened to me (I don't recall it ever happening with my M2 (nor my JCW) but it has happened with/in other cars) it was on me. I didn't shift right. Tired? Distracted? I don't know but it reinforced the fact that proper shifting was all on me and I strove to shift properly in the future.

One test for a transmission popping out of gear problem is with the engine/drive train up to operating tempreature go out on a suitable road and under way shift to 2nd and give the engine some throttle. No need to keep the throttle down until red line. Do this with the higher gears, too.

However, in your case since you have but only around 500 miles on the car an argument could be made to just drive the car adhering to the break in guidelines. After 1200 miles and the running in service has been completed then you have a bit more freedom to apply more throttle.

But in the mean time the hardware gets more use, goes through any break in, and you become more familiar with the car.

If (big if) there is a problem the symptoms will get worse and you can have the car in for this.

OTOH...

I won't bore you with the details of my experiences but I can offer based on my experience some of what you are experiencing could be a clutch hydraulic fluid problem. But one that could be addressed by a fluid flush/bleed. Sure the car is new. And it shouldn't need this. But (my experience at least with other cars is) there can be a fluid problem from new. So you can wait to see if the behavior gets worse or better, as I offered above. But if you want have the car in now and demo the behavior and see what the dealer/service department can do about it.

As for the lurching behavior when cold, my habit is after I start a car's engine from cold I let it idle until the elevated RPMs drop to near normal hot idle level. I have found with this bit of "warm up" the engine a bit more tractable -- the engine controller has gone into closed loop mode.

Then with my M2 to move it out of the garage I don't use any extra throttle just engage the clutch smoothly and the engine controller will strive to keep the engine idle speed at whatever it should be (~740 RPMs). Since my garage floor is level the car moves away from a stop smartly and with no drama and it is out of the garage in no time.

Might mention one of the things I do pretty soon after buying a new car with a manual transmission is to on a flat parking lot is to just leave my right foot flat on the floor and let out the clutch slowly and move the car off with no additional throttle. I do this a couple of times -- in 1st and reverse -- just to show myself with the fact the engine controller/e-throttle can manage idle speed with a reasonable amount of increase (or decrease) in engine load. As a result I use very little throttle combined with quick but *smooth* clutch engagement to get the car moving on the road.
Appreciate 2
      12-03-2023, 08:52 AM   #3
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

only 250 miles on mine so far so grain of salt but i have had zero issues, weird sounds, or vibration when disengaging the clutch at speed, and zero issues entering gear regardless of RPM. i would absolutely get this checked if it were my car.

on the last point, i have noticed that the hill assist is pretty aggressive and will engage at very slight inclines. are you sure you are letting the clutch out enough as you try to get the car rolling after cold start? i wont lie, this is a tricky clutch and ive been driving stick for a long time.
Appreciate 1
Geighty71559.00
      12-03-2023, 09:32 AM   #4
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Experienced none of those things with my 6-speed M2.

However, similar to brake disc/pad break in the clutch goes through a break in process too. That is the flywheel/disc/pressure plate friction surfaces and to a lesser extent the clutch master/slave cylinders.

The bit of feedback you are feeling could go away with more use. I'll say right here my M2's clutch/shifter/transmission got better with more use and sure more practice on my part. I don't recall at how many miles but it wasn't a lot.

Popping out of gear is never normal. The few times this has happened to me (I don't recall it ever happening with my M2 (nor my JCW) but it has happened with/in other cars) it was on me. I didn't shift right. Tired? Distracted? I don't know but it reinforced the fact that proper shifting was all on me and I strove to shift properly in the future.

One test for a transmission popping out of gear problem is with the engine/drive train up to operating tempreature go out on a suitable road and under way shift to 2nd and give the engine some throttle. No need to keep the throttle down until red line. Do this with the higher gears, too.

However, in your case since you have but only around 500 miles on the car an argument could be made to just drive the car adhering to the break in guidelines. After 1200 miles and the running in service has been completed then you have a bit more freedom to apply more throttle.

But in the mean time the hardware gets more use, goes through any break in, and you become more familiar with the car.

If (big if) there is a problem the [...]
Some great advice you have provided as well as insight. I think if it doesn’t get worse and just stays the same, I will wait for break in. There could be hydrolic issue, but it is so minimal I’m hesitant (and a bit ocd) to take it in just for that.

As for the popping, as much as we all want to believe we are the best manual drivers, I can honestly say there are plenty of times when I just suck. So huge point, human error could be the cause of that.

Besides what I’ve listen, the car has been nothing but a joy. I’m pretty strict on break in procedure as I have not even taken it out of efficient mode just yet (I’m waiting even for sport to be suprised post break in).

As you said, once I have a bit more freedom to apply some pressure after break in- I’ll for sure know if there’s an issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 09:33 AM   #5
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
only 250 miles on mine so far so grain of salt but i have had zero issues, weird sounds, or vibration when disengaging the clutch at speed, and zero issues entering gear regardless of RPM. i would absolutely get this checked if it were my car.

on the last point, i have noticed that the hill assist is pretty aggressive and will engage at very slight inclines. are you sure you are letting the clutch out enough as you try to get the car rolling after cold start? i wont lie, this is a tricky clutch and ive been driving stick for a long time.
I think human error as much as I don’t want to admit, is playing a big part in the “popping” out of gear when shifting. I must admit, it’s the same feeling as cruising and just putting into neutral without foot clutch. I probably have not fully engaged clutch at time of hand shift.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 12:13 PM   #6
Sculpin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 8Y RS3

I don't have my M2 yet but I've driven a lot of M cars over the years. They tend to be temperamental when:
  • The car is not yet up to operating temp
  • It's really cold outside
  • They are driven at low RPM

I would occasionally feel what I called "clutch shudder" in my M3 under the above conditions. Never once had any issues at the track on a warm day and shifting at redline though.
1995 E36 M3 (Retired)
Appreciate 1
Geighty71559.00
      12-03-2023, 06:06 PM   #7
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

I’m starting to think it’s just healthy feedback from the engine at higher RPM. Car drove great today! Hit 600 miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 06:53 AM   #8
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
I’m starting to think it’s just healthy feedback from the engine at higher RPM. Car drove great today! Hit 600 miles.
Had mine out to wash -- ended up a bit messy from encountering an unexpected bit of rain the day before -- and of course after washing a car I always drive the car to dry the brakes.

Had a chance to give the car the whip -- but not for long the car gains speed so fast -- and what a car.
Appreciate 1
Geighty71559.00
      12-05-2023, 11:11 AM   #9
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Still getting the engine feedback/vibrations through the clutch at higher RPM’s. A tech told me that this could be normal, but best to have it checked out on break in service coming up this Friday.

I will have the tech take her for a spin and assess. If anything, I might just need to bleed the clutch or it could be a pressure plate issue that HOPEFULLY my extended platinum warranty will cover.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 02:59 PM   #10
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
At 0-10 mph, it is better to engage 1st. This engine lacks torque below 1700 rpm to the point that it hates being in 2nd in low speed. Perhaps that's related to your first issue.

For reference I never shift before 2500 rpm to avoid lugging the engine.