rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by G42_blue View Post
Sorry to see this…
not something you want to deal with on a new car G42 or G87 both expensive enough to not have this kind of issue.

Merry Christmas anyway 🎁🎄🎅🏼
Thanks, you too. Looks like when I bring it in for service I'm going to have to prod them for new headlights. I'd really rather not deal with this.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 07:55 AM   #68
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by g42bmw View Post
I find what BMW said about vented headlights to be true. Try to drive for a long period of time. That completely resolved my issue. No more water has came inside even during the rain season and after washes. And to my surprise there's no watermarks left over.
one difference California is slightly drier than the very soggy cold UK....
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 05:37 PM   #69
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
I got bit by the headlight condensation issue this week.

Sent pix to my service manager, who knows me and the car, says I have to bring it in, and it has to have the moisture present at the dealer before they'll repair it (under warranty, of course).

Last edited by Dinosoar; 01-06-2024 at 04:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 10:28 PM   #70
g42bmw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i, 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_geezer View Post
one difference California is slightly drier than the very soggy cold UK....
Well after replacing the headlight, it happens again this year. Same side, new headlight. Maybe just need to drive it dry again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 04:30 PM   #71
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g42bmw View Post
Well after replacing the headlight, it happens again this year. Same side, new headlight. Maybe just need to drive it dry again.
This is obviously a design flaw in these lamps ,the amount of people who have have 1 ,2 even 3 sets replaced all to be hampered by the same issue. Its time BMW sorted this issue ,it cant be that hard never saw it on older cars .....my buddys cheapo kia does not have any light issues and its a new car.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2024, 04:59 PM   #72
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_geezer View Post
This is obviously a design flaw in these lamps ,the amount of people who have have 1 ,2 even 3 sets replaced all to be hampered by the same issue. Its time BMW sorted this issue ,it cant be that hard never saw it on older cars .....my buddys cheapo kia does not have any light issues and its a new car.
It’s been a problem on all models for years. Had it on my F36 in 2015.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 06:29 PM   #73
sclui56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E86, IS-F, G42, G87

My daughter's G42 got condensation on the pass side. This is a SoCal car and it doesn't rain much nor get chat cold. Nevertheless, sent pix over to SA I've known for 20+ years, and was told now I have to bring the vehicle in first, there's a different process @BMW.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-07-2024, 05:10 AM   #74
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
It’s been a problem on all models for years. Had it on my F36 in 2015.
I had the slightest bit on my F22, always went on its own ,never seen it on a scale this big ,headlight needs a design tweak to let the moisture out better, if California is getting this issue we in the Uk have no chance lol...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 11:42 AM   #75
sleeves007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G42 220i

Part Number

Attached is the part sticker from my headlights that were replaced April 2023 and full of droplets again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 01:34 PM   #76
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i

So, the good news is that my dealer had a right headlamp in stock, so that’s been replaced. The bad news is that on collection I noticed that the left headlamp was showing signs of light condensation (it hadn’t before). pointed this out and we came to the conclusion that with the car being in the warm garage all day, then outside for a wash, then parked in the cold, that had accelerated the fault. Booked back in next week for the warranty inspection, but this time there are no left headlamps available (on global back order!).
      01-12-2024, 09:07 AM   #77
m23439
Registered
Jersey
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i M (2023)

Had this issue on both lamps since I picked my 230i in October. It was 6 months old from new!

It took until today for the dealer to look at it, who accepts that it is a known issue but they have been advised by BMW that they need to try and blow air into each headlamp to try dry them, but for that they will need a specific tool from BMW, which they will not get until March! Only then, if that fails, will they consider replacement.

Has anyone heard of this magical tool, and is this correct, or am I being fobbed off? I have tried speaking to BMW customer service, who have been no help at all!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 09:10 AM   #78
cannockwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M240i 2023

dy444135.50
      01-12-2024, 12:39 PM   #79
sleeves007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G42 220i

Unless this magical tool sorts the seals or the chosen vent method that has issues with dew point and hot engine air condensing on the inside of the headlights again, then it will fail...Just a guess..
Appreciate 1
PP3121357.50
      01-12-2024, 01:19 PM   #80
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m23439 View Post
Had this issue on both lamps since I picked my 230i in October. It was 6 months old from new!

It took until today for the dealer to look at it, who accepts that it is a known issue but they have been advised by BMW that they need to try and blow air into each headlamp to try dry them, but for that they will need a specific tool from BMW, which they will not get until March! Only then, if that fails, will they consider replacement.

Has anyone heard of this magical tool, and is this correct, or am I being fobbed off? I have tried speaking to BMW customer service, who have been no help at all!

I call bull on any dealer response just now.
Mine said they pressure test it - which I don’t believe either as it’s not a hermetically sealed unit.

If they blow dry it, it suggests the unit has holes in it. In which case it’s bound to get moisture in it.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2024, 04:09 AM   #81
dy444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannockwolf View Post

Mine has just done exactly the same on both sides. It happened after the first frosty night we've had since I got it so evidently condensation rather than water ingress. We've had loads of heavy rain and that did nothing.

The right side has now cleared but the left hasn't yet - I think that's down to the car's orientation wrt the sun when parked. I turned it round but we haven't had any sun since!
G42 M240i xDrive. Brooklyn Grey, 19" Bicolour Double-spoke style 893 M alloy wheels with performance tyres, Technology Plus Pack, M Adaptive Suspension, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System, Heated Steering Wheel, Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 09:02 AM   #82
differentialusername
Registered
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
I call bull on any dealer response just now.
Mine said they pressure test it - which I don’t believe either as it’s not a hermetically sealed unit.

If they blow dry it, it suggests the unit has holes in it. In which case it’s bound to get moisture in it.
Yeah I tried checking the NHTSA website to see if there were any technical service bulletins regarding the headlights from the manufacturer but didn't see any for the G42. I just started getting some droplets in my passenger-side headlight after <2000 miles which has been infuriating.

We should file complaints with the NHTSA since it would put some regulatory pressure on BMW to address this issue. At the very least, we can get an estimate as to how many other people are dealing with the issue.

For those not familiar with the NHTSA website (updated links so they apply to the G42):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
The NHTSA actually stores all technical service information bulletins on their website. Well, I assume it’s all of them. I tried searching for the AC one, but couldn’t find it. However, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist as I’m sure there’s a delay in release versus winding its way through the bureaucracy of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

There are a lot of bulletins. If you scroll down and select MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION, you can see them all. This is also where you can find safety complaints lodged by other owners and where your complaint will end up. If they receive enough complaints, it usually shows up here (or it should).

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2023/B...Communications

For example, here’s the latest one: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...45376-0001.pdf

There’s a lot concerning the cooling system and coolant [regarding 2020 BMW X5], among other interesting notes. In any case, enjoy reading if you’re bored, or don’t read if you’re the “ignorance is bliss type.”

Last edited by differentialusername; 01-14-2024 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 10:19 AM   #83
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m23439 View Post

that is an absolute joke...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 12:31 PM   #84
Jumanji
Rep
Drives: M240ix

I have the same problem with my 2023 m240i. Just dropped it at the dealership for diagnosis. One headlight has a lot of condensation/water inside the assembly, the other one is dry. This happens every time it rains. I will update with the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 06:36 PM   #85
BimmerBenzorBentley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

My 2022 230i is also showing some condensation in the right headlamp. BMW is quickly becoming closer to KIA than to Porsche - don't want to be headed in that direction.

I thought I was buying somewhat of a luxury brand - but with this issue, coupled w/ my iDrive software still being on a 2021/11 version and won't prompt me to update, and the heated steering wheel barely getting lukewarm, I've lost faith in BMW and probably won't be buying another one in the future.

Also BMW dealerships are becoming big time jokes (either lazy or incompetent or both) or maybe they always were.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 04:23 AM   #86
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBenzorBentley View Post
My 2022 230i is also showing some condensation in the right headlamp. BMW is quickly becoming closer to KIA than to Porsche - don't want to be headed in that direction.

I thought I was buying somewhat of a luxury brand - but with this issue, coupled w/ my iDrive software still being on a 2021/11 version and won't prompt me to update, and the heated steering wheel barely getting lukewarm, I've lost faith in BMW and probably won't be buying another one in the future.

Also BMW dealerships are becoming big time jokes (either lazy or incompetent or both) or maybe they always were.

I’m guessing this is from someone who has never owned a Kia or a Porsche.

Wife has had 3 Kia’s over 15 years and Pentland Jr just traded his picanto (which was fault free for 10years) for a Rio.

I’ve had a Porsche and had pretty much 2 happy days with it - the first when I bought it and the 2nd when I sold it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 04:21 AM   #87
harcos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 240i xdrive

They're changing mine this afternoon...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 09:52 AM   #88
Wasp_Factory
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Quote:
I’m guessing this is from someone who has never owned a Kia or a Porsche.

Wife has had 3 Kia’s over 15 years and Pentland Jr just traded his picanto (which was fault free for 10years) for a Rio.

I’ve had a Porsche and had pretty much 2 happy days with it - the first when I bought it and the 2nd when I sold it.
+1 for this. Can't comment about Kia, but have owned 2 Porsches from new. The dealer experience (sales, service, parts and problem investigation) was appalling! I'll never have another Porsche.

My guess is that the likes of Kia, Hyundai and all the supposedly inferior brands all have dealers that try harder - because they have to.
Appreciate 1
Pentland1735.50