home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-19-2024, 09:32 AM   #1
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM M2

Fuel filler flap failure?

Anyone have it stay locked on you? Happened to me yesterday, tried to install the software update in case that had anything to do with it, tried holding down the unlock button while trying to open it like someone on the internet said might work, turned the car on an off multiple times, but nothing worked so I had to bail on my drive and go home or risk running out of fuel (but hey, I did get to do the boring part of my drive twice). Got home, tried again, no dice, then 20 minutes later I tried again and it started functioning properly. This is obviously less than ideal given the small tank and less than economic engine. Anybody else had this happen? Dealer will be taking a look on Saturday, but I'm not sure there's anything for them to do now that it's working again. Hopefully it's a one time only gremlin (I also had the parking sensors freak out on me for one day and it has never repeated), but it could have been a real PITA if I were further away or lower on fuel. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 09:55 AM   #2
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Please let us know what the dealer says but I'm confident this was related to the update.

I won't proceed with an update anywhere but at home. Since you control the installation it is very easy to manage.
      04-19-2024, 10:03 AM   #3
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC87ZB View Post
Please let us know what the dealer says but I'm confident this was related to the update.

I won't proceed with an update anywhere but at home. Since you control the installation it is very easy to manage.

Highly doubt that had anything to do with any software update. That fuel door's lock is controlled by the car door''s locking mechanism (car locked, fuel door locked...car unlocked, fuel door should unlock). There should also be an emergency manual pull (in the trunk?) to open in a situation where the door's mechanism doesnt work
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 11:12 AM   #4
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
There should also be an emergency manual pull (in the trunk?) to open in a situation where the door's mechanism doesnt work
There should be, and there was in older cars, but no longer. Manual says if it doesn't work, take it to the dealer. Apparently they use a mini airbag to blow it open.

One data point, the only thing I did differently before it finally worked again was use the unlock button inside the car, rather than the fob or door handle. Maybe that made some difference and resolved the gremlin?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 12:30 PM   #5
Smilodon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Makes me feel kind of dumb, but I didn't even know it locked! It is always open when I get out and go to the pump at the gas station. No other car I've had has ever had that. Easter egg for the moron I guess...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 12:55 PM   #6
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Highly likely that the issue is update related. Both the updates I have done so far have disabled audible and visual lock/unlock during the upgrade and limited functionality overall. The lock mechanisms are overall message driven, not directly wired, so the fuel door may use a separate lock/unlock message than the doors, which could be affected by the software upgrade.

The recommended procedure is to initiate the upgrade in the car, exit the car, lock it and wait for the notification in the app that the upgrade is complete before unlocking the car again.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 05:59 PM   #7
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G42 m240ix, '18 X5 35d

Had this happen on my '22 m240. Dealer had to force it open and replace the filler door latch and locking mechanism after forcing it open. Hopefully anyone it happens to is close to the dealer or has enough fuel to get there.

I tried every conceivable technique to get it to open and could not trigger the latch to unlock.
2015 VW Golf 1.8t 5-speed (sold)
2004 Chevy Cavalier (hopefully crushed by now)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 10:28 AM   #8
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Highly likely that the issue is update related. Both the updates I have done so far have disabled audible and visual lock/unlock during the upgrade and limited functionality overall. The lock mechanisms are overall message driven, not directly wired, so the fuel door may use a separate lock/unlock message than the doors, which could be affected by the software upgrade.

The recommended procedure is to initiate the upgrade in the car, exit the car, lock it and wait for the notification in the app that the upgrade is complete before unlocking the car again.
Just to be clear, the issue was not related to the update, I just had a pending update when it happened so I decided to do it then to see if something would reset, but it didn't. At the very least, the lesson I'm taking from this is to fill up early and often . . .
Appreciate 0