02-09-2022, 06:44 PM   #23
G42Bama
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomusername View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for ceramic coating brands?
I went with Crystal Serum Ultra. First experience with ceramic. But let me say… SHEESSH does it make washing a car 10x easier. Only time will tell how long it holds up.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 06:50 PM   #24
CDN-Driver
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche 718 Cayman

Quote:
Does anyone have recommendations for ceramic coating brands?
I have OptiCoat Pro on my car. Very happy it over almost 5 years.

gtechniq is another brand I considered at the time.
      02-09-2022, 08:52 PM   #25
randomusername
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW m240i (in production)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240idax View Post
Quote:
Can someone explain to a complete novice:

1) what ceramic coating is meant to do when applied in addition to PPF; and
2) what needs to be avoided before ceramic coating and/or PPF (e.g., car washes it sounds like?)

I don't want to have issues out the gate!
The ceramic coating over PPF provides an additional thin layer of protection to the PPF itself. It adds UV protection which can prevent PPF from yellowing. One of the main benefits to ceramic is that it will still add the hydrophobic layer making it extremely easy to keep clean. Ceramic manufactures have stated that it does not affect the PPF's ability to self heal.

Prior to ceramic the car should basically be UNTOUCHED. Some amount of paint correction is built into most shops ceramic costs and even brand new cars need some correction, but significant paint correction will cost more. I.e. Do not let the dealer wash/detail the car. If it needs to be washed, stick to lightly hand washing - no pressure washing or touch car washes
One more question. Should the shipping protection stay on the car too? Can someone even drive with that still on?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 08:33 AM   #26
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 RSX-S

Wow I've been out of the car modifying game way too long and didn't even know what PPF & ceramic coats were haha. $2-$3K seems like a lot and I'm not sure how it would hold up in a Chicago winter. I'll have to research it a bit more.

Anyways, your Thundernight looks amazing, especially with that spoiler!
Appreciate 1
G42Bama402.50
      02-10-2022, 12:55 PM   #27
Golddog
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Car looks great. Any issue with the tint causing the display to dim??
G42Bama402.50
      02-10-2022, 01:35 PM   #28
FeckinSpaceman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22' M240i

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G42Bama View Post
I paid $1805 for the PPF - whole front end including headlights. Full hood. Mirrors. Side Skirts and up to the body line on doors and side portion of rear bumper.
And $1785 for Ceramic. Car, wheels and calipers. That included paint correction from the Dealer taking it through the car wash 3 times before I could pick it up.
Check out InsanePaintAutoDetailing on Instagram to see how bad the swirls were. They have it pinned on their stories.
The car looks stunning for starters man!

Did your dealer offer any relief or support for the paint correction?

I just had the same issue, picked up the car got home and actually looked at it with some decent light, and was heartbroken how much damage was done

I have an appointment set for a correction, PPF, ceramic, and some tint and can't wait for it to be done so I can drive this car.

Previous
2019 540, 2018 M3 CS, 2015 M3, 2011 550i, 2013 335i
Appreciate 1
G42Bama402.50
      02-10-2022, 02:14 PM   #29
G42Bama
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddog View Post
Car looks great. Any issue with the tint causing the display to dim??
None at all
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 02:16 PM   #30
G42Bama
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeckinSpaceman View Post
Quote:
I paid $1805 for the PPF - whole front end including headlights. Full hood. Mirrors. Side Skirts and up to the body line on doors and side portion of rear bumper.
And $1785 for Ceramic. Car, wheels and calipers. That included paint correction from the Dealer taking it through the car wash 3 times before I could pick it up.
Check out InsanePaintAutoDetailing on Instagram to see how bad the swirls were. They have it pinned on their stories.
The car looks stunning for starters man!

Did your dealer offer any relief or support for the paint correction?

I just had the same issue, picked up the car got home and actually looked at it with some decent light, and was heartbroken how much damage was done

I have an appointment set for a correction, PPF, ceramic, and some tint and can't wait for it to be done so I can drive this car.
Thanks. I honestly didn't even bother. I picked the car up 11/20 and didn't get to the paint correction until 1/19. So I didn't even wanna hassle with them about it. I chalked it up to it being my first New car purchase and a lesson learned
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 02:48 PM   #31
702MoxyBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i purple

Quote:
I went with Crystal Serum Ultra. First experience with ceramic. But let me say… SHEESSH does it make washing a car 10x easier. Only time will tell how long it holds up.
God, we must have the exact same specs minus the black wheels. I even got my spoiler this week. I did the PPF back in December with window tint but didn't do the ceramic coat yet. It may be what I need for it to last better and make hand washing easier. That shine is pretty bad ass. I am curious how to wash the car after you get that done to it.

Something I want to add since I got deep into detailing for a minute. paint correction is basically clearing away clear coat little by little to remove scratches or other issues. You can only do this a handful of times before the car is unable to fix without a respray. The ceramic coating is key because you fix said issues and then put a new layer of protection on them in order to have the car look nice but have protection from outside issues. The key is understanding that PPF is actually giving you a barrier of protection from rocks and other stuff. Ceramic doesn't do that besides how a wax or sealant protects slightly. Is it worth it? Depends really on how long you will keep the car, is the car a lease, and what is your budget on this stuff? I would not do this for a lease honestly. I would do this if you plan to keep for 4+ years at least. 3 years and a PPF is probably fine but Ceramic is a great add for looks but it can be $3500 with tint, PPF and ceramic coating easily so if you are modding your car with tunes, wheels, tires and coilovers, this may not be your best bang for buck. I just got a JB4 but hasn't been installed yet. My wife will trip out if I go too wild here.

Last edited by 702MoxyBMW; 02-10-2022 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 11:46 PM   #32
randomusername
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontsave View Post
Ended up going with full front PPF for now. I'll be coming back for ceramic coating in a month or two. Makes it a little less painful
Hey which shop was it that you were saying is top notch? Have you used them for ceramic coating before?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 12:06 AM   #33
idontsave
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Quote:
Ended up going with full front PPF for now. I'll be coming back for ceramic coating in a month or two. Makes it a little less painful
Hey which shop was it that you were saying is top notch? Have you used them for ceramic coating before?
Ceramic Pro Burbank. I haven't personally used them but have heard feedback from countless people about the quality of their work.

They also took me for a brief tour of their facility to see some of the cars they were currently working on/had just finished and you can truly see the attention to detail the team has. The space looks pristine as well.

I can certainly provide some of my own feedback once I pick my car up though
      02-11-2022, 01:14 AM   #34
randomusername
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ceramic Pro Burbank. I haven't personally used them but have heard feedback from countless people about the quality of their work.

They also took me for a brief tour of their facility to see some of the cars they were currently working on/had just finished and you can truly see the attention to detail the team has. The space looks pristine as well.

I can certainly provide some of my own feedback once I pick my car up though
Please do!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 01:26 AM   #35
randomusername
Private
Rep

Quote:
Please do!
I am concerning about the brands they use across the board. I am going to maybe explore Sticker City too.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 02:07 PM   #36
idontsave
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Please do!
I am concerning about the brands they use across the board. I am going to maybe explore Sticker City too.
I think they actually use their own brand. Seems to have a good rep. The shop I got my windows tinted at actually uses their brand for ceramic coating as well.
      02-11-2022, 02:23 PM   #37
randomusername
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think they actually use their own brand. Seems to have a good rep. The shop I got my windows tinted at actually uses their brand for ceramic coating as well.
Got it. I gave them a call and left them a message. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 02:08 PM   #38
randomusername
Private
Rep

Quote:
How were you able to get them to return your calls or e-mails?? I'm trying to set something up with them, but to no avail.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 08:07 PM   #39
idontsave
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Quote:
How were you able to get them to return your calls or e-mails?? I'm trying to set something up with them, but to no avail.
I just called the number listed on their Yelp. Never had any issue reaching them.