BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

10-08-2022, 02:16 PM   #243
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Where are all these alternate sub-3,500lb 450hp 4-seat sport coupes for $65,000 base or less?

Unless you live at the track perpetually driving 10/10ths and consumables are an important discussion, the weight thing is pure magazine racing BS. Go drive a CLAR M car like a G80 before assuming anything about the G87 drive based on a spec sheet.
Appreciate 8
ronin130131002.00
Sedan_Clan25211.50
BRAKE!847.50
milr0.00
heavyD^23688.50
      10-08-2022, 02:19 PM   #244
BRAKE!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Where are all these alternate sub-3,500lb 450hp 4-seat sport coupes for $65,000 base or less?

Unless you live at the track perpetually driving 10/10ths and consumables are an important discussion, the weight thing is pure magazine racing BS. Go drive a CLAR M car like a G80 before assuming anything about the G87 drive based on a spec sheet.
Amen. We get too wrapped up in living in “race car” world that we forget we actually live in the “real world.”
Appreciate 8
Sedan_Clan25211.50
trey1001125.00
02M3ForMe4270.50
milr0.00
heavyD^23688.50
      10-08-2022, 02:30 PM   #245
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Agreed, I bet most ppl wouldn't even be able to gauge the weight from behind the wheel anyway. It is what it is and we have to be happy the option is even there before it's all taken away from us in a few years. As for design, I'm waiting for any final judgement until I see it in the flesh.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4270.50
      10-08-2022, 02:33 PM   #246
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
I find it funny when people post the designer of xyz from yesteryear critiques car designs of today.

Not to invalidate their opinions obviously, but times change, and so does trends. Barchetta on youtube has a wonderful documentary on Chris Bangle and even in those cars you can understand he served his term, did an excellent job, and changed the industry, but also knew when his term was over and moved out of the way. Whether for the good or for the bad that's up to you to decide, personally i think it was for the good. He brought the future with him, and when the present caught up with his idea of future, Hooydonk took over. Excited to see what the next person will bring.

The same person that designed a car ~30 years ago obviously will find today's designs different. Humans get upset when things we know are changed, down to something as simple as taco bell removing menu items.

One general complaint about BMW designs though: those guys NEED to hire better photographers. Back to the G01 facelift, their official release photos are disgusting and makes cars look very ugly. When you go see them in person it's so much better and you get a better understanding of the design language.

I'm excited about this car, minus the colors. Brooklyn is like the only "primer gray" paint that looks ugly, i wouldn't ever own a black car, toronto is too orangey (wish it was melbourne red), and zandvoort might be good or bad depending on how it looks in real life. Never thought I'd settle for a white car but it might become a reality in a few months
Appreciate 3
atl_1M1520.00
Sedan_Clan25211.50
heavyD^23688.50
      10-08-2022, 02:38 PM   #247
ronin13013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
I find it funny when people post the designer of xyz from yesteryear critiques car designs of today.

Not to invalidate their opinions obviously, but times change, and so does trends. Barchetta on youtube has a wonderful documentary on Chris Bangle and even in those cars you can understand he served his term, did an excellent job, and changed the industry, but also knew when his term was over and moved out of the way. Whether for the good or for the bad that's up to you to decide, personally i think it was for the good. He brought the future with him, and when the present caught up with his idea of future, Hooydonk took over. Excited to see what the next person will bring.

The same person that designed a car ~30 years ago obviously will find today's designs different. Humans get upset when things we know are changed, down to something as simple as taco bell removing menu items.

One general complaint about BMW designs though: those guys NEED to hire better photographers. Back to the G01 facelift, their official release photos are disgusting and makes cars look very ugly. When you go see them in person it's so much better and you get a better understanding of the design language.

I'm excited about this car, minus the colors. Brooklyn is like the only "primer gray" paint that looks ugly, i wouldn't ever own a black car, toronto is too orangey (wish it was melbourne red), and zandvoort might be good or bad depending on how it looks in real life. Never thought I'd settle for a white car but it might become a reality in a few months
BG is not ugly lol!!
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2022, 03:06 PM   #248
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post

This made me chuckle because of the hard truth of this post.
Appreciate 2
PLF693770.00
02M3ForMe4270.50
      10-08-2022, 03:29 PM   #249
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin13013 View Post
BG is not ugly lol!!
Amen. Love me some BG! Would love it more if it were only available on M cars though.
      10-08-2022, 03:34 PM   #250
SocalBM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Let me guess, the rear brakes are too small

They work, could they look better, yes but they work. Guys wanna talk how it drives and all but focus on the rear caliper size and design..
I didn't say anything about how the brakes look. Fact of the matter is, M brakes haven't always been good compared to other makes. With this car being heavier than expected and the brakes being smaller, it may not brake as well as it should.

Until its tested, we don't know. But, its a legitimate concern, as are the other performance metrics, because of the weight.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 03:44 PM   #251
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
Those saying looks don't matter is kind of a cop out.
I have a connection with my cars and part of that is looks. If I said otherwise, I'd be lying. I mod all of my cars to personalize them to my liking. Part of that is purely for aesthetics, but you still need the fundamentals of a car that looks good to make it work. You know you have a good looking car when you turn around and look at it after parking and walking away. I think the G87 will look a lot better than all the shitty pics we've seen to date. How it compares to the F87 remains to be seen. But to turn a blind eye to the looks of the car, that I don't get. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Appreciate 4
SocalBM179.00
Teutonic2709.00
trey1001125.00
      10-08-2022, 03:51 PM   #252
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRock View Post
Tell ya what - the rennlist bros are much more stingy with the appreciation button. They're a persnickety bunch. For me, at least, this forum is the best.
I will award you, one half of a Porsche Point.
      10-08-2022, 03:55 PM   #253
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Quote:

BG is not ugly lol!!
And this is exactly why I don't pay any attention to people's opinions on how the G87 looks because that's all it is, THEIR opinion.

And calling BG "ugly" is a laughably bad take but everyone's entitled to an opinion
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25211.50
      10-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #254
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Porsche vs BMW

BMW wins.
Appreciate 1
Game7444.50
      10-08-2022, 04:23 PM   #255
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalBM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Let me guess, the rear brakes are too small

They work, could they look better, yes but they work. Guys wanna talk how it drives and all but focus on the rear caliper size and design..
I didn't say anything about how the brakes look. Fact of the matter is, M brakes haven't always been good compared to other makes. With this car being heavier than expected and the brakes being smaller, it may not brake as well as it should.

Until its tested, we don't know. But, its a legitimate concern, as are the other performance metrics, because of the weight.
What other makes? ….and let's stick to direct competitor vehicles.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4270.50
      10-08-2022, 04:24 PM   #256
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Quote:
BG is not ugly lol!!
It is not the greatest and I look at it daily.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2022, 05:00 PM   #257
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
Those saying looks don't matter is kind of a cop out. Sure, people compromise all the time but the vast majority of people don't want to drive an ugly car. To build a mini M4 with all the right parts and then fall down on styling is a big disappointment. The car will cost the same either way, and you want a car that looks good AND performs well. Doesn't mean they won't buy one anyway of course but that is still a compromise.

I for one had my shopping list down to 2 cars - base RWD 6MT G80 or the M2 so I had high hopes they'd come through. I'm still hopeful that in person the M2 will look good which was the same thing I experienced with the G80.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
trey1001125.00
      10-08-2022, 06:43 PM   #258
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Aaah… Sorry,

Plenty of designers, architects and fashion designers who were never “caught up” by the present. That is just nonsense.

Bangle left for different reasons and his design is stil under question mark for many as it was never generally embraced.

There are also a lot of car design that are timeless so, no, you are not right.

I am not really a Porsche fan as I do believe that there is too much reiteration of the same formula, however, is Porsche “caught by the time”? I don’t think so. They manage to keep it good, but they have a timeless template.

Being mediocre at something it doesn’t mean you are modern. You are just MEDIOCRE. Like BMW today.
BMW also inherited in timefew timeless elements, but decided to drop them in the garbage…

A good design always stands the test of time. Always…
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 06:50 PM   #259
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I have a connection with my cars and part of that is looks. If I said otherwise, I'd be lying. I mod all of my cars to personalize them to my liking. Part of that is purely for aesthetics, but you still need the fundamentals of a car that looks good to make it work. You know you have a good looking car when you turn around and look at it after parking and walking away. I think the G87 will look a lot better than all the shitty pics we've seen to date. How it compares to the F87 remains to be seen. But to turn a blind eye to the looks of the car, that I don't get. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Same feeling here. It needs to represent me and my taste…
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 07:20 PM   #260
donm527
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Z06

Quote:
BG is not ugly lol!!
BG is not ugly... but it's not beautiful.

It's just the best "safe/neutral" color out of the choices available. When you don't want "Paint Swirl" Black or Bold Red or Purple but you want a little more character and show a little more detail than White.

Gray is the new Silver... see a version from every brand from a Porsche Taycan to a Toyota Rav4 at your local CostCo parking lot. I was leaning BG for a M240i order but now leaning Portimao Blue.

I wish they went back to a nice bright Metallic Silver personally instead of offering two whites for the M240i.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2022, 07:22 PM   #261
rwemersonrw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition, Acura TSX

My last rant. BMW took the ugliest rendering of the car and said VOILA!!! It could have been this🤷*♂️
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Ikester192125.00
      10-08-2022, 07:27 PM   #262
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwemersonrw View Post
My last rant. BMW took the ugliest rendering of the car and said VOILA!!! It could have been this🤷*♂️
Imo that's ugly. Just a hodgepodge of design elements of a bunch of different cars thrown together. I personally think if they took the g87 design but gave it dual headlights, a vertical grill, and the g80 style diffuser, it'd be perfect.
Appreciate 3
      10-08-2022, 07:30 PM   #263
rwemersonrw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition, Acura TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_1M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwemersonrw View Post
Imo that's ugly. Just a hodgepodge of design elements of a bunch of different cars thrown together. I personally think if they took the g87 design but gave it dual headlights, a vertical grill, and the g80 style diffuser, it'd be perfect.
I agree that would have been ideal. And while I'm not crazy about that pic what I've seen so far is just so disappointing although this pic isn't "terrible"
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
atl_1M1520.00
      10-08-2022, 08:10 PM   #264
n55f15
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240I

Interesting to find that some want the M2 to look like a 2 gran coupe...
Appreciate 1