E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i Xdrive oil pan gasket PITA?

02-11-2022, 09:33 AM   #1
ghost_m2c
Chief Cavity Inspector (TSA)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i XDrive

335i Xdrive oil pan gasket PITA?

Hey all,
I see plenty of videos on youtube about the RWD 335i oil pan gasket but I have maybe only seen 1 or 2 about the 335ix that don't go into enough detail for me. Does anyone know of a good tutorial on how to do it? My oil leak is not too significant, but I would still probably like to fix it for some peace of mind. From my understanding, you have to drop the subframe, lower the steering rack out of the way, pull both axles up front, and take out the oil pan. Also, not sure how long this will take? I am definitely mechanically inclined and have done some more complicated services for a 15 year old, but obviously this will not be just a weekend project for me. Is there a way to get a service manual for a job like this?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 11:43 AM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_m2c View Post
Hey all,
I see plenty of videos on youtube about the RWD 335i oil pan gasket but I have maybe only seen 1 or 2 about the 335ix that don't go into enough detail for me. Does anyone know of a good tutorial on how to do it? My oil leak is not too significant, but I would still probably like to fix it for some peace of mind. From my understanding, you have to drop the subframe, lower the steering rack out of the way, pull both axles up front, and take out the oil pan. Also, not sure how long this will take? I am definitely mechanically inclined and have done some more complicated services for a 15 year old, but obviously this will not be just a weekend project for me. Is there a way to get a service manual for a job like this?
I am in the same boat. Mine only does about 1 drip every week or two so it's slow. Huge pain on on the xi for sure. I plan to live with it until turbos / motor mounts need replacing as it's pretty much the same labour. 3 separate shops all quoted me $2000 for an oil pan gasket replacing on my xi.
If you plan to do yourself, YouTube is probably your best option.

Edit* you will also need the property equipment to support the engine from above when you drop the subframe. Good time to do motor mounts as well.
      02-11-2022, 12:58 PM   #3
Leanped
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i ST MT

I recently did an engine replacement on an xi 335, so I'm pretty familiar with what I looks like down there. A lot of it comes down to just seeing what's in your way and removing it. In this case, it would be the subframe, power steering rack, front driveshafts, and front diff.

Get yourself an engine hoist or an engine support bar, remove all the paneling underneath, get the driveshafts out, disconnect all the suspension species connected to the subframe (I forget how the sway bar connects but you may have to deal with it too). Then drop the power steering rack or get it out of the way if you can. Pull off the front diff and just let it sit there or support it. Now you should have easy access to the pan.

The most important part is to not take shortcuts. These engine bays are very tight to work in and chances are that if there's a bolt that's too hard to reach, you can make it easier by pulling something else. Use common sense and the job is doable.

I've heard of people just dropping the subframe with everything still attached, wheels, control arms, and all, just to give themselves around 6 inches of clearance to pull the pan. If that seems better, you can do that. I haven't found much documentation on it.

Set aside several days to do it as shit does just happen.
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2022, 02:08 PM   #4
SG335Xi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 SG 335Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanped View Post
I recently did an engine replacement on an xi 335, so I'm pretty familiar with what I looks like down there. A lot of it comes down to just seeing what's in your way and removing it. In this case, it would be the subframe, power steering rack, front driveshafts, and front diff.

Get yourself an engine hoist or an engine support bar, remove all the paneling underneath, get the driveshafts out, disconnect all the suspension species connected to the subframe (I forget how the sway bar connects but you may have to deal with it too). Then drop the power steering rack or get it out of the way if you can. Pull off the front diff and just let it sit there or support it. Now you should have easy access to the pan.

The most important part is to not take shortcuts. These engine bays are very tight to work in and chances are that if there's a bolt that's too hard to reach, you can make it easier by pulling something else. Use common sense and the job is doable.

I've heard of people just dropping the subframe with everything still attached, wheels, control arms, and all, just to give themselves around 6 inches of clearance to pull the pan. If that seems better, you can do that. I haven't found much documentation on it.

Set aside several days to do it as shit does just happen.
I did mine at home on jackstands... as long as you take your time - it's not hard... just time consuming.

I bought the engine support bar at harbor freight... it's not too bad... $80.

The part that was the most questionable was the axles... I remember thinking they were never going to come out... but eventually I pryed in enough places and they came loose.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2022, 02:11 PM   #5
SG335Xi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 SG 335Xi

I think I used this guide as it was PRETTTTTY much the same process for the N54 cars.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1211290
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 02:13 PM   #6
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

I just did this on my wife's 2011 335i xdrive. I did not pull the axles, driveshaft, or control arms, just let the subframe 'hang' down as far as it could, which gave me juuuuuust enough room to maneuver the gasket under the oil pump and into place. I did not disconnect the steering shaft from the rack, just unbolted the rack from the subframe so the subframe could go even lower.

Still a PITA, with all the stuff you'll have to disconnect and lines to remove. I replaced several coolant hoses and the engine mounts while I was in there.
2011 e70 x5 diesel
2010 Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2022, 02:16 PM   #7
torrque
Banned
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430, E92 M3, 335xi

Garage List
2005 Ferrari F430  [9.08]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
I am not sure I would risk doing it without disconnecting the axles, as one of the axles goes through the oil pan ? You need to take that out at least...
It is a huge pain; I did it when I changed my turbos and I had the subframe down completely anyway ..... EDIT: nevermind.. I think the N54 engine is special, but to be honest I would not buy another car with this engine.

Last edited by torrque; 02-11-2022 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 07:21 PM   #8
torrque
Banned
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430, E92 M3, 335xi

Garage List
2005 Ferrari F430  [9.08]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by donalexinder24 View Post
Why would be interested in Turkish citizenship requirements?
Appreciate 0