F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Redbull exploded on my subwoofer
proTUNING Freaks

05-06-2024, 01:41 PM   #1
sodixm
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i, 435i

Hey guys, a redbull I had rolled under the seat and I guess from overnight pressure/climate changes exploded and leaked into the subwoofer under the passenger side. All speakers in the car sound fine besides that sub obviously, sounds very broken… is it as easy as swapping it out or taking it out and cleaning it? Or is there a different component under there that I could have damaged? Any advice is appreciated, I should be able to just do the work myself, trying to avoid the dealer pricing…
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 02:34 PM   #2
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

I guess your sub got some wings now that are flappin' around!! Sorry, couldn't resist!!

What kind of audio system do you have? Base? Hifi? HK?

Based on that, replacement of the floor sub is easy, just a few screws to remove the cover, and a few more to remove the driver, and maybe a pry tool since it's usually sealed into the back box with some adhesive.

You can find replacement drivers here in the classifieds, or facebook marketplace for cheap. Or maybe this might be the ideal opportunity to put some Earthquake underseat subs that you can easily buy from Amazon:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ght=earthquake
      05-06-2024, 02:40 PM   #3
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

If it’s Harman Kardon it has its voice coil vents at the top of the speaker which is partly covered by the speaker grill.

If no liquid is gone in you’ll be ok. But you may need to clean the speaker wire connector as it might be submerged in redbull. Otherwise replacement time.

You’ll need to unbolt the seat torx screws and move seat back out of the way. ( carefully not to over stretch or damage seat harness ). Also don’t unplug seat otherwise you could end up with airbag errors.

Grill needs Torx t20 driver , two 10mm bolts to undo. Unclip the speaker harness and wire clips for front loom. Take out enclosure and keep as leave as possible to stop liquid going into side sill vent.

The speaker enclosure is designed to vent liquid through a hole in the floor. No doubt you’ll need to wipe out that area under the speaker
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-06-2024, 02:57 PM   #4
sodixm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
I guess your sub got some wings now that are flappin' around!! Sorry, couldn't resist!!

What kind of audio system do you have? Base? Hifi? HK?

Based on that, replacement of the floor sub is easy, just a few screws to remove the cover, and a few more to remove the driver, and maybe a pry tool since it's usually sealed into the back box with some adhesive.

You can find replacement drivers here in the classifieds, or facebook marketplace for cheap. Or maybe this might be the ideal opportunity to put some Earthquake underseat subs that you can easily buy from Amazon:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ght=earthquake
lol maybe it will fly out of the spot so I have to do less work 😂 but it’s the HK system so I see from the guy below it’s the voice coil is fried… if I’m replacing the entire unit/box do I need a pry tool and then how would I seal it back in? Thanks 🙏
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 02:58 PM   #5
sodixm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealfromNZ View Post
If it’s Harman Kardon it has its voice coil vents at the top of the speaker which is partly covered by the speaker grill.

If no liquid is gone in you’ll be ok. But you may need to clean the speaker wire connector as it might be submerged in redbull. Otherwise replacement time.

You’ll need to unbolt the seat torx screws and move seat back out of the way. ( carefully not to over stretch or damage seat harness ). Also don’t unplug seat otherwise you could end up with airbag errors.

Grill needs Torx t20 driver , two 10mm bolts to undo. Unclip the speaker harness and wire clips for front loom. Take out enclosure and keep as leave as possible to stop liquid going into side sill vent.

The speaker enclosure is designed to vent liquid through a hole in the floor. No doubt you’ll need to wipe out that area under the speaker
Wow thank you for this detailed post. This will certainly make it so much easier I appreciate it. I think I’m going just replace the entire large black box the driver comes in as well, one of my friends parts out cars and has a working good condition one for sale!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 03:01 PM   #6
sodixm
Private
Rep

Quote:

So I see from the pictures, I take everything out one by one? Speaker driver then enclosure? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 04:31 PM   #7
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Enclosure and speaker can come out together. But I’d take of the grill, sponge up any red bull sitting on the cone. And then take speaker out of enclosure. Use a pri tool for the first time as the woofers seal will need to be broken.

If you have base audio however just take the enclosure out as the smaller 6.5 woofer is glued in.
Appreciate 1
sodixm8.00
      05-06-2024, 07:20 PM   #8
sodixm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Enclosure and speaker can come out together. But I’d take of the grill, sponge up any red bull sitting on the cone. And then take speaker out of enclosure. Use a pri tool for the first time as the woofers seal will need to be broken.

If you have base audio however just take the enclosure out as the smaller 6.5 woofer is glued in.
Ah okay thank you. For resealing is that something I should worry about?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 10:52 PM   #9
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodixm View Post
Ah okay thank you. For resealing is that something I should worry about?
The purpose of the seal is to make the driver and enclosure an "airtight" enclosure. A very thin bead of silicone should be fine.
      05-06-2024, 11:54 PM   #10
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

As above for base audio

For hifi or Harmon Kardon providing the seal around the woofer is intact it will seal again when torqued down.

The top woofer is a Harman Kardon. You can see the seal ring around it which will continue to work. No need to seal the enclosure again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0