BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls

11-16-2023, 06:05 AM   #1
MPowerLUFC
Rep
Drives: Was F87 now G87

Clutch pedal marking carpet.

As title, my clutch pedal is bottoming out on the floor carpet (and marking it) before being stopped by the clutch stop.

Any other MT owners seeing this issue?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 06:09 AM   #2
DBV
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G20 330d, Brabus Smart

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.75]
2018 Brabus Smart  [0.00]
2021 BMW 330d  [0.00]
Just another good reason to get the upgraded clutch stop
Appreciate 1
DrJLag420799.00
      03-20-2024, 09:42 AM   #3
MPowerLUFC
Rep

Still intrigued by this. Car is booked in for a warranty steamy headlamp so I mentioned the clutch pedal bottoming on carpet again to the dealer and asked if any updates or fixes but he knew nothing and said they’d take a look again when it’s in.

Decided to do some investigation and I am seeing pedal shots showing the same markings. Always RHD cars so that’s UK, Australia, Japan etc. Few pictures attached below. Surprised it isn’t getting mentioned as there must be plenty of RHD, manual cars out there by now.

Motech video
Name:  IMG_6581.jpeg
Views: 123
Size:  41.1 KB

Autocar review
Name:  IMG_6634.jpeg
Views: 125
Size:  103.1 KB

Japanese website
Name:  IMG_6636.jpeg
Views: 124
Size:  234.0 KB

Japanese poster on X
Name:  IMG_6637.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  279.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 07:45 AM   #4
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

My WAG is it is due to the difference in interior dimensions at least with the driver's area between LHD and RHD cars.

Over the years I have come across reviews of LHD and RHD cars and often the RHD car comes in for being noted as being different in the driver's area. Some RHD cars actually have the driver's seat a bit offset/turned.

I haven't had an opportunity to do so but I would not be surprised if the car was lifted up and one was able to get under the car with a bright light he'd see differences in two front seat areas, the sheet metal of the tub/chassis. Likely there's a bit of a cavity (which would be a bulge from the driver's point of view inside the car) on the RHD side to provide room for some mechanical hardware.

(Not a LHD/RHD thing but I had a 2001 Camaro Z28 that had a low but large bump/hump on the floor of passenger side of the car. Every passenger who got in the car noted it. Turns out it was there to provide room for the catalytic converter when the V6 engine was fitted. But my car had the V8.)

To avoid marring the carpet an adjustment of the clutch stop (if there is one) might work provided one could set the stop to limit how far down the clutch goes and avoid carpet contact yet still have enough travel to ensure the clutch is fully disengaged with the stop set.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2024, 10:07 AM   #5
MPowerLUFC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
My WAG is it is due to the difference in interior dimensions at least with the driver's area between LHD and RHD cars.

Over the years I have come across reviews of LHD and RHD cars and often the RHD car comes in for being noted as being different in the driver's area. Some RHD cars actually have the driver's seat a bit offset/turned.

I haven't had an opportunity to do so but I would not be surprised if the car was lifted up and one was able to get under the car with a bright light he'd see differences in two front seat areas, the sheet metal of the tub/chassis. Likely there's a bit of a cavity (which would be a bulge from the driver's point of view inside the car) on the RHD side to provide room for some mechanical hardware.

(Not a LHD/RHD thing but I had a 2001 Camaro Z28 that had a low but large bump/hump on the floor of passenger side of the car. Every passenger who got in the car noted it. Turns out it was there to provide room for the catalytic converter when the V6 engine was fitted. But my car had the V8.)

To avoid marring the carpet an adjustment of the clutch stop (if there is one) might work provided one could set the stop to limit how far down the clutch goes and avoid carpet contact yet still have enough travel to ensure the clutch is fully disengaged with the stop set.
Yes I think you are right. No issue in LHD cars but for RHD the transmission tunnel/footwell shape must slightly interfere with a fully depressed clutch pedal. I just thought it was strange the lack of mentions of this in RHD markets. Was it just mine or is it a wider issue? Looks like a wider issue. I’m mentioning it again to the dealer next month when it goes in for a headlamp so we’ll see.

I did buy a thicker stop but it was for an F87 and the hole it pushes through must be bigger on the G87 so it was too loose. So at the moment a piece of rubber mat is protecting the carpet. I’m keeping pushing for a dealer fix or at least an acknowledgement that there is an issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 03:10 AM   #6
MPowerLUFC
Rep

And another one. Joe Achilles M2 v M3 CSL video. A RHD Australian car. Can clearly see a mark where the pedal has been hitting the carpet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0