home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-29-2024, 09:33 AM   #23
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

This is a plastic body part not a blown head gasket or faulty transmission. It’s an easy fix as previously posted. Relax.

Yes, it should have been flagged by the dealer but shit happens. Give them a chance to make it right.

IMO
Appreciate 5
aerobod3707.50
Zatellia183.00
Ravenseal2881.50
ando2005.00
      04-29-2024, 09:43 AM   #24
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

It's not a museum piece- you will drive it and other defects in the paint and interior will accumulate due to wear and tear. in 6 mo you will forget the bumper was ever repainted, and in 6 years you might get it resprayed again. all will be well. let the dealer sort it out until it is fixed to your liking and then enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 02:29 AM   #25
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
Its just a door falling off jet...........you know. Get the dealer fix it. Not a Boeing issue lol!

Well said. Ravenseal might want to seal his mouth with such comments. The OP deserves full attention of the dealer/BMW to correct this.
BMW North America buying back a car because of a misaligned bumper is completely out of touch with the fabric of reality. I've seen manufacturers reject buybacks for significantly more serious power train and electronic malfunctions. Maybe I shouldn't have used the F word, but my point stands. Sucks for OP that he spent $70,000 on a car that's gonna have a brand new, repainted bumper, but it's his car now unless the dealer wants to be really really really really nice. The door blowing out of a pressurized airliner cabin is not comparable.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2024, 09:55 AM   #26
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
BMW North America buying back a car because of a misaligned bumper is completely out of touch with the fabric of reality. I've seen manufacturers reject buybacks for significantly more serious power train and electronic malfunctions. Maybe I shouldn't have used the F word, but my point stands. Sucks for OP that he spent $70,000 on a car that's gonna have a brand new, repainted bumper, but it's his car now unless the dealer wants to be really really really really nice. The door blowing out of a pressurized airliner cabin is not comparable.
Drink more and type less. Your just a rude human. Seek counseling you mad data scientist. More than half of your posts are just shite and rude.
Its applicable as its a car that is important to him and utterly the system failed from factory to dealer. System failure surely that computes for your little data world LOL!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 10:00 AM   #27
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
Drink more and type less. Your just a rude human. Seek counseling you mad data scientist. More than half of your posts are just shite and rude.
Its applicable as its a car that is important to him and utterly the system failed from factory to dealer. System failure surely that computes for your little data world LOL!
You can keep thinking you have the moral high ground, but I'm still right. Lol.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 10:51 AM   #28
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Ravenseal certainly isn't cautious with anyone's emotions, but the core of his message is correct if you can get passed that.

In the context of all the expensive and complicated components on the vehicle, replacing a bumper is a reasonable resolution. Replacing the entire car isn't.

Of course, if this happened to be me I might have a harder time being reasonable about it. Isn't that part of why the OP came to the forum with his dilemma? It's useful to get the perspective of others when shit like this happens.

The funny part of all this is if they had caught the problem at the port they would have done the same exact repair without him even knowing about it.
Appreciate 3
      05-01-2024, 11:14 AM   #29
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
Ravenseal certainly isn't cautious with anyone's emotions, but the core of his message is correct if you can get passed that.

In the context of all the expensive and complicated components on the vehicle, replacing a bumper is a reasonable resolution. Replacing the entire car isn't.

Of course, if this happened to be me I might have a harder time being reasonable about it. Isn't that part of why the OP came to the forum with his dilemma? It's useful to get the perspective of others when shit like this happens.

The funny part of all this is if they had caught the problem at the port they would have done the same exact repair without him even knowing about it.
Exactly. Cars are damaged in shipping all the time and arrive at dealers having already been repaired, and customers are none the wiser.
Appreciate 4
      05-01-2024, 11:18 AM   #30
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post

Waltersobchakeit is fake german for "you're right, but you're being an asshole about it"
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2024, 11:26 AM   #31
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Exactly. Cars are damaged in shipping all the time and arrive at dealers having already been repaired, and customers are none the wiser.
Even at the dealership, before cars go on the lot and after. Lol. Scuffs, windshields, curbed wheels, etc, etc. Cars get damaged all the time during unloading, test drives and even just being moved around on the lot. Also - specially in areas that are prone to hail. Cars could have undergone $10,000 of hail damage repair and nobody would ever know, specially with shadier dealerships that wouldn't disclose it upfront (saw this a lot during COVID). BMW dealerships weren't going to throw away cars during shortages. My girlfriend and I saw a $110,00 X7 that had at least 500 indentations on the body from a hail storm that happened in transit over the Rockies, and the car was back on the lot a month later for sale at MSRP. Doubt the buyer ever knew. Lol.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 11:38 AM   #32
Zatellia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 ZB (Manual)

Quote:
Even at the dealership, before cars go on the lot and after. Lol. Scuffs, windshields, curbed wheels, etc, etc. Cars get damaged all the time during unloading, test drives and even just being moved around on the lot. Also - specially in areas that are prone to hail. Cars could have undergone $10,000 of hail damage repair and nobody would ever know, specially with shadier dealerships that wouldn't disclose it upfront (saw this a lot during COVID). BMW dealerships weren't going to throw away cars during shortages. My girlfriend and I saw a $110,00 X7 that had at least 500 indentations on the body from a hail storm that happened in transit over the Rockies, and the car was back on the lot a month later for sale at MSRP. Doubt the buyer ever knew. Lol.
I believe that, but think of it this way... he has the car with a newly painted bumper and goes to sell the car to a dealer or privately and discloses that the bumper has been repainted / replaces. Now they offer him less because its not 'original' or what ever they want to say. Or lets say 3 years down the line the painted bumper is fading at a different rate then the rest of the car, do you think the dealer will go and fix the bumper again? of course not.

You will probably say something like 'well thats how cars work' or something like that. but this would not have been the case if it was original or maybe it would have been who knows.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 11:48 AM   #33
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatellia View Post
I believe that, but think of it this way... he has the car with a newly painted bumper and goes to sell the car to a dealer or privately and discloses that the bumper has been repainted / replaces. Now they offer him less because its not 'original' or what ever they want to say. Or lets say 3 years down the line the painted bumper is fading at a different rate then the rest of the car, do you think the dealer will go and fix the bumper again? of course not.

You will probably say something like 'well thats how cars work' or something like that. but this would not have been the case if it was original or maybe it would have been who knows.
I've seen this happen before, and dealerships, for better or worse depending on whose opinion you ask, will never report the repair to carfax or any other vehicle data aggregator when its their fault or a manufacturer defect, like this scenario. You'd have to either open your own mouth or be very unlucky to run into a dealership thats going around with paint meters when buying used cars. Also, re-sprayed bumpers genuinely aren't the end of the world. People do it all the time to repair rock chips, bug tars, scuffs, or other impacts - at least here in Colorado. As long as its not listed as a collision repair, it's not that bad. The body shop repairing his car should be an accredited BMW Body Shop using genuine BMW paint, and have a very generous warranty in terms of paint matching and fading - most of them warranty it for as long as you own the car. Doing PPF would also help maintain the quality of the paint long-term, if OP genuinely cares that much, which it sounds like it. If he ever drives the car off the lot without PPF, then he already lost the battle against mother nature anyway. Lol.

Appreciate 2
aerobod3707.50
Zatellia183.00
      05-01-2024, 11:53 AM   #34
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:

A used car is understood to be used and to have potential repairs. Body work does not implicitly reduce the market value of a vehicle. That is an individual's decision.

That is why you don't have to select all of your car's body panels and identify areas of repair when asking KBB how much your car is worth. Of course, if the body work is visibly poor quality that's another story.

Dealers who are trying to low ball you will certainly pull the paint gun if there is a repair on the CarFax. Then it's up to you to have good negotiation skills and not fall for that trap.
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2024, 11:58 AM   #35
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Adding a little gasoline here, can the car be described to a potential buyer as “original” if the bumper was repainted before it was registered?

Your turn
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2024, 12:03 PM   #36
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Adding a little gasoline here, can the car be described to a potential buyer as “original” if the bumper was repainted before it was registered?

Your turn
There will always be grey areas, moral or otherwise. If you're auctioning your car as a high value collectable and you've kept it in the basement for 10 years just to flip it on Bring a Trailer, maybe that's a problem. If you're driving the piss out of these cars like you're supposed to, they're going to wear and tear. I don't think the 3rd or 4th owner getting it with 90,000 miles from a Buy/Pay Here lot is going to be inspecting the paint with a microscope, lol.

Appreciate 1
      05-01-2024, 12:06 PM   #37
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

It's not that big a deal. My wife ordered a '23 Grand Cherokee back in '22. When it arrived the dealership let us know it had several areas of damage from shipping (fairly common). Most of it was scratches in the paint, chipped paint on the wheels. They fixed what Jeep authorized (didn't authorize the wheel finish damage). You'd never know the paint in some areas was fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 12:10 PM   #38
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
There will always be grey areas, moral or otherwise. If you're auctioning your car as a high value collectable and you've kept it in the basement for 10 years just to flip it on Bring a Trailer, maybe that's a problem.
Even then, as long as parts are original equipment, I don't think it matters all that much. When I had Xpel installed on my Callaway Z06, they cracked the original front splitter. The car is 1 of 3 produced. It was replaced with the same original GM splitter. Would I report that if I ever chose to sell the car? No, why would I? Now if it had an aftermarket splitter, I'd disclose that.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 1
Ravenseal2881.50
      05-01-2024, 12:10 PM   #39
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
It's not that big a deal. My wife ordered a '23 Grand Cherokee back in '22. When it arrived the dealership let us know it had several areas of damage from shipping (fairly common). Most of it was scratches in the paint, chipped paint on the wheels. They fixed what Jeep authorized (didn't authorize the wheel finish damage). You'd never know the paint in some areas was fixed.
Modern, high end paint shops are VERY advanced nowadays. Some of them even have air sealed paint booths and precision machine painting equipment similar to factories. I've been worse jobs on brand new cars than repaired ones. The days of a dude with a spray paint can and some safety glasses are long past unless you're going to the cheapest/shadiest place in town to get your bumper "refinished" for $200.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 12:11 PM   #40
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There will always be grey areas, moral or otherwise. If you're auctioning your car as a high value collectable and you've kept it in the basement for 10 years just to flip it on Bring a Trailer, maybe that's a problem. If you're driving the piss out of these cars like you're supposed to, they're going to wear and tear. I don't think the 3rd or 4th owner getting it with 90,000 miles from a Buy/Pay Here lot is going to be inspecting the paint with a microscope, lol.
i'd even go one step further and say "original paint" on all these early run G87s will count for precisely.... zero (as long as repaint is high quality). my opinion has always been, unless there is some value in the paint (IE BMW individual; VW spektrum; porsche PTS etc), a repaint will not hurt a standard car's value except at the very top 5% of resales where speculators are playing ball. there's almost no special paint option yet that is worth the money protecting from a repaint down the line. 95% of G87s won't be hurt by a high quality respray, and the 5% that will, are the frozen cars, and the special colors that aren't even in production yet.
Appreciate 1
Ravenseal2881.50
      05-01-2024, 12:13 PM   #41
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Modern, high end paint shops are VERY advanced nowadays. Some of them even have air sealed paint booths and precision machine painting equipment similar to factories. I've been worse jobs on brand new cars than repaired ones. The days of a dude with a spray paint can and some safety glasses are long past unless you're going to the cheapest/shadiest place in town to get your bumper "refinished" for $200.
Agreed. I just damaged my rear bumper cover, and have to replace it. The shop I was referred to uses a high-tech color camera and multiple spray-outs to perfectly match the color. I had to replace the rear spoiler on my Z06, same thing & you'd never know it was replaced.
Appreciate 2
Ravenseal2881.50
aerobod3707.50
      05-01-2024, 12:16 PM   #42
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:

The reality is the M2 is a $65k mass produced car, its not a Ferrari GTO. At this level dealers move volume, they care about the mileage and condition of the car so they can flip it. Assuming its done at a BMW authorized shop, it may even come out better than the original with less orange peel, better finish etc. I am super OCD about my cars, literally a paint chip used to keep me up at night. But having traded in and out of a few expensive Porsches and spent time at dealers I have realized you have to let go of stuff like this because it actually doesn't matter to anyone else and really shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the car. I get that its easier said than done as we are all enthusiasts, and place a lot of emotional value in cars. Ultimately something like this that will have zero aesthetic or value impact is really not worth ruminating on.
Appreciate 4
      05-02-2024, 09:43 AM   #43
Jett2835
Rep
Drives: '24 M2 G87

I, for one, am moderately OCD. My g87 was delivered with a door ding on the lower edge of my passenger side door (i.e., someone opened that door and hit something). Might have occurred during dealer inspection, prep, or when they were installing "surprise" tint. Doubt it occurred during transport as I can't imagine the need of opening the passenger side door until it got to the dealership.

Was pretty upset, but the dealer had me bring it back in where they had their PDR guy do his magic. At the end of the day, I got over it - no one is going to care or notice except you.

Good thing is you can document all of this if you ever do try to resell privately. If you end up trading it in, no dealer will even blink an eye or care. Like everyone else in this thread is saying, you will most likely not even notice any difference with the new bumper. The body shops dealers use go through hundreds of vehicles a month, and should be quite skilled.

Unless you are PPF/wrapping the front or plan on keeping your miles to less than 300 miles, your bumper is going to be imperfect rather quickly with rock chips + dings anyways.

If I were in your shoes, I'd ask to keep the original bumper. You could offer it when you resell, or you can put it back on and use it as your sacrificial bumper for rock chips while you keep the freshly painted one as back-up for when it's time to replace.
2014 911 Carrera (sold)
2005 S2000 (sold)
Appreciate 0