F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Oil Reset Unsuccessful & oil level measurement not possible
Studio RSR

06-29-2023, 09:43 PM   #1
athh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i

Oil Reset Unsuccessful & oil level measurement not possible

Hey! I brought a used 2015 320i a while ago, and I just got an oil change done and neither me nor my mechanic were able to reset the oil through the dashboard. It just says "Reset unsuccessful" I've tried doing it multiple times throughout the past few days and I keep getting this message.

Not sure if this is related, but when I go into vehicle status on the screen, and go to oil level measurement, it says that oil level measurement is not possible at this time and to get the system inspected on the next service.

Any idea what might be wrong and how I can fix this? Also, what would be the effect if I just didn't fix the issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 08:12 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Do you have a dash light that shows the oil change is either due or overdue? Is an oil change shown in iDrive > Vehicle info>Vehicle status>Service required ? If not it can't be reset. Oil level can only be measured with the engine running at full operating temperature.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 08:29 PM   #3
athh
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Do you have a dash light that shows the oil change is either due or overdue? Is an oil change shown in iDrive > Vehicle info>Vehicle status>Service required ? If not it can't be reset. Oil level can only be measured with the engine running at full operating temperature.
Yes it shows that service is required, but it still won't let me reset. It even shows "reset possible" when I go into the menu to reset it, but when I reset it it says "reset unsuccessful"

I have also tried measuring the engine oil on my flat garage after driving around for 30 mins, the oil temp was just under 250. It said that oil measurement is not possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 08:50 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The next step is to pull codes with a reader.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 09:43 PM   #5
xbladr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sold 1995 M3 with LS1 T56 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by athh View Post
Yes it shows that service is required, but it still won't let me reset. It even shows "reset possible" when I go into the menu to reset it, but when I reset it it says "reset unsuccessful"

I have also tried measuring the engine oil on my flat garage after driving around for 30 mins, the oil temp was just under 250. It said that oil measurement is not possible.
Did you ever get this figured out? Via the dash or even with bimmerlink it fails to rewet the oil and brake service lights. 2016 340i here. I can't for the life of me get these to nreset. It also says engine oil level measurement inactive.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 12:45 AM   #6
athh
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbladr View Post
Did you ever get this figured out? Via the dash or even with bimmerlink it fails to rewet the oil and brake service lights. 2016 340i here. I can't for the life of me get these to nreset. It also says engine oil level measurement inactive.
Yea i had the same thing, ended up just taking it to BMW n they fixed it for me. Later found out I had a bad oil sensor, which probably caused it. You should check the oil sensor and if it's not the problem just take it to bmw.
Appreciate 0