E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > A tale of an E91 Recall

09-25-2024, 08:08 PM   #1
SyCoREAPER
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

A tale of an E91 Recall

Actually not nearly as mystical as the title. Took our E91 in for a recall and was given a basically new 2024 330i with triple digits on the odometer.

Let me tell you about that car!
It sucked.

I know cars have gotten bigger but it was like driving a GD tank around (size-wise). Sounded OK, they apparently have G-Sensors built in now that graph on the dash (picture a video game controller joystick output test).

Changing the temperature is a damn chore, it's amazing half the newer BMW owners aren't dead from having to stare at the center screen to do something as simple as adjust the fan or temp, takes longer than you think.

Worst of all to follow and as such, my E93 will likely be my last BMW. Despite all the cool stuff that means nothing when the car handles like dog💩. Maybe it handles fine, I really didn't test it because it felt so incredibly unnatural and lacked any sort gratitiying qualities. It felt like it was driving itself. Barely any feedback, understeer and oversteer depending on the speed. Just not fun to drive. Tried Sport mode, which has its own Sport mode (TF?), same outcome.

Is this just the world of modern mid-luxury vehicles?

(Not flexing, just giving for reference what I'm accustomed to driving:
E93 (2007)
E91 (2009)
Porsche 911 (late 80s)
Porsche 911 SC
Honda Prelude (this is a bit of a flex , supercharged, complete suspension overhaul, etc..)
Porsche 911 (2015)

Recently drove a Cayman R, fun but not my cup of tea and a 2017(?) BMW 540i. Those didn't feel artificial. Anyone drive any newer BMW M's? Do they still feel like you're driving a car?
Appreciate 5
ppointer822.00
3PedalJake3039.50
Cal122338.50
Mike K372.50
      09-26-2024, 10:47 PM   #2
johnnyorange
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 lci e91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyCoREAPER View Post
Actually not nearly as mystical as the title. Took our E91 in for a recall and was given a basically new 2024 330i with triple digits on the odometer.

Let me tell you about that car!
It sucked.

I know cars have gotten bigger but it was like driving a GD tank around (size-wise). Sounded OK, they apparently have G-Sensors built in now that graph on the dash (picture a video game controller joystick output test).

Changing the temperature is a damn chore, it's amazing half the newer BMW owners aren't dead from having to stare at the center screen to do something as simple as adjust the fan or temp, takes longer than you think.

Worst of all to follow and as such, my E93 will likely be my last BMW. Despite all the cool stuff that means nothing when the car handles like dog💩. Maybe it handles fine, I really didn't test it because it felt so incredibly unnatural and lacked any sort gratitiying qualities. It felt like it was driving itself. Barely any feedback, understeer and oversteer depending on the speed. Just not fun to drive. Tried Sport mode, which has its own Sport mode (TF?), same outcome.

Is this just the world of modern mid-luxury vehicles?

(Not flexing, just giving for reference what I'm accustomed to driving:
E93 (2007)
E91 (2009)
Porsche 911 (late 80s)
Porsche 911 SC
Honda Prelude (this is a bit of a flex , supercharged, complete suspension overhaul, etc..)
Porsche 911 (2015)

Recently drove a Cayman R, fun but not my cup of tea and a 2017(?) BMW 540i. Those didn't feel artificial. Anyone drive any newer BMW M's? Do they still feel like you're driving a car?
I agree and am in sync with everything you have written above, especially about the lack of driver feedback in BMW with the sweet spot being the e9x series when maintained - to me everything starting with the BMW f series feels artificial and kinda sloppy; like driving a bus or flying a DC3.

I think BMW M became shells of themselves and did everything possible to make BMW M feel like a Mercedes AMG car. Modern BMWs feel like modern Mercedes to me.

I fear that both Mercedes and BMW have reached 'good enough' when it comes to handling and driver satisfaction, instead seemingly putting all their focus on removing buttons and making screens, especially as they see the driver soon being replaced by AI

I will always drive and maintain my 09 e91 for as long as I possibly can. I love that car and its telepathic handling.

With all that said, I do confess that I am looking longingly and kinda drooling at a Porsche for all the reasons expressed above
Appreciate 4
3PedalJake3039.50
Cal122338.50
Mike K372.50
      09-26-2024, 11:14 PM   #3
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [10.00]
It's not just midlux cars or BMW cars, all cars suck now. They may as well make them all drive themselves because they're putting ppl to sleep behind the wheel (car enthusiasts anyway). Time was even economy cars are fun, my first new car many moons ago was a VW Fox, it was $7k off the lot the cheapest car on the market and it was a blast to drive. I'd rather drive that with it's 81hp and 4MT or my snow car the 08 Accord with a 5MT, than any of the synthetic space capsules on the lots today. They really ruined driving for a lot of ppl when they did away with pedals and sticks in average cars. I plan on keeping my E90s until it's or my wheels fall off.

Last edited by 3PedalJake; 09-26-2024 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 3
Cal122338.50
Mike K372.50
      09-26-2024, 11:56 PM   #4
SyCoREAPER
Rep

Sort of off-topic but does/did any of the E-Series ever have a manual rack?

I've been told not to loop the lines because of the electronic assist fighting you if not making it impossible to steer. I know looping you're still fighting the hydraulics and the gearing isn't the same as a manual rack but it's close enough (but again not sn option). Would love to drive my 93 on a manual rack and really feel the road.

Mine is older (I'm not s BMW expert) but one of the seemingly enthusiast advisors told me on BMWs they start to bind and get harder to turn. There's a definite difference between the E93 and E91 (not in handling, that's obvious) but in the force to turn.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:26 AM   #5
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [10.00]
I've never heard of one. I know US market your choice was between regular hydraulic steering and "active" steering.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:10 AM   #6
SyCoREAPER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalJake View Post
I've never heard of one. I know US market your choice was between regular hydraulic steering and "active" steering.
Thanks. Maybe I'll source on and loop that.

Such a shame "cars" are what they are today. BMWs are ruined, Honda's are the new Buick (RIP NSX, Prelude and S2000). Nissan Skyline isn't a Skyline IMO. Toyota Supra looks interesting but don't know much about it other than it's expensive.

While interesting in some regard there's the electrics but not fun even if they are quick AF.

And dumb dumb BMW wants 10K to 12K for a remanufactured engine, no core. Rebuild the hell out of it? Swap with a sleeper engine?

There's just no modern cars and no good options. Not looking forward to when it's time for a new vehicle after this last experience. FML. And then those living in the US are facing potential shift from 10% to 15% ethanol, so we've got self destruct incoming.

I'm getting ranty because as I type I'm realizing how bad the situation is.
Appreciate 1
3PedalJake3039.50
      Yesterday, 11:14 AM   #7
Fredo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

The newest car on my fleet is a 2020 G01 X3. The oldest: 2005 E46 ZHP.

I like both. YMMV.
Appreciate 2
      Today, 02:38 PM   #8
SyCoREAPER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
The newest car on my fleet is a 2020 G01 X3. The oldest: 2005 E46 ZHP.

I like both. YMMV.
That's true, peoples preferences and choices vary and that's unique tontje individual and neither right nor wrong.

Just for me I guess I'm stuck in the past.
Appreciate 1