11-20-2023, 09:10 AM   #1
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Anyone know about this car?

https://www.stevenscreekbmw.com/used...dc887881fc.htm

This is one of two used BSM 6 speed manuals for sale that I could find through a nationwide search on Autotrader. I'm looking at used as an option as I don't know how long my allocation will take for a new one and want to have something by April of 2024.

Did anyone on here own this car, or anyone who has gone to the dealer and looked at it?
      11-20-2023, 09:57 PM   #2
FrankWhite!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BWM G87

Looks like it has about 1600 miles on it. If I had to guess the asking price is about what the sticker was (less taxes). What are the used prices like for a 2023 M2.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2065.00
      11-21-2023, 08:17 AM   #3
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWhite! View Post
Looks like it has about 1600 miles on it. If I had to guess the asking price is about what the sticker was (less taxes). What are the used prices like for a 2023 M2.
For comparison sake, the other black 6 speed manual for sale at a dealer in NC the asking price is $72K. The used pricing depends on the seller. When I did a search on Autotrader I am seeing used G87's priced anywhere from $64K up to $98K with most cars priced between 67K to 73K.

I don't know. For someone who doesn't know how long their allocation will take getting something used isn't a bad idea. Most examples have less than 2K miles and I assume the break in service has been completed.
      11-21-2023, 10:59 AM   #4
TheDrivenGarage
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 G82, BMW M2 G87 (Order)

I wouldn't buy a used one for MSRP. That time is over. You can find them showing up at dealers for sale as canceled orders from time to time. Just have to be ready to MOVE. If buying used, I would aim for 10% off. or Just wait. I love my M2, but i wouldn't get in under water in one. The market is going to continue to depress.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2065.00
      11-21-2023, 11:41 AM   #5
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrivenGarage View Post
I wouldn't buy a used one for MSRP. That time is over. You can find them showing up at dealers for sale as canceled orders from time to time. Just have to be ready to MOVE. If buying used, I would aim for 10% off. or Just wait. I love my M2, but i wouldn't get in under water in one. The market is going to continue to depress.
I hear ya. If I didn't care about waiting one move is to wait until there are 15K to 20K miles used car examples in the market to get a deal on one.

Best used deal I have found is a ZF blue one at my local dealer. Dealer is asking 64K and the sticker on the car is about 68,500 with the options the car has. Plus, the car has $3500 of PPF work done. It's been sitting there for a few weeks so I wonder how low they would go. If it was a black one I would inquire and see.
      11-22-2023, 08:16 AM   #6
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
I hear ya. If I didn't care about waiting one move is to wait until there are 15K to 20K miles used car examples in the market to get a deal on one.

Best used deal I have found is a ZF blue one at my local dealer. Dealer is asking 64K and the sticker on the car is about 68,500 with the options the car has. Plus, the car has $3500 of PPF work done. It's been sitting there for a few weeks so I wonder how low they would go. If it was a black one I would inquire and see.
Price is not fact only an opinion.

I suspect that M2 at your local dealer -- somewhere in Minnesota I take it -- is going to sit on the lot for a long time, months.

General rule of thumb is research the car's trade in value -- which will almost certainly be higher than what the dealer allowed for the car. (Dealers don't go by the "book" but like to say they get their numbers from the "back of the book". But the publicly available trade in value gives you some idea of what the dealer has in the car. That new of a car it needed nothing other than a detail to make sale ready.

The trade in value then is where you start your negotiation.

Keep in mind the dealer is paying a flooring cost of (estimated) $250/month. Sure he may have paid for the car out of his cash reserves but still the (I estimate $60,000 trade in value) at 5% a year works out to $250/month of interest income he forfeits to floor the car every month.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2065.00
      11-22-2023, 08:29 AM   #7
TheDrivenGarage
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 G82, BMW M2 G87 (Order)

Quote:

That's awesome the PPF is done and means it was likely owned by a careful enthusiast. The dealer likely didn't give the guy anything for the PPF, so don't let on that it's valuable to you. I would go in around 62k and I bet they will be willing to play ball. The end of year is coming and the weather isn't optimal for the M2. I am assuming the blue one is low miles?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 09:25 AM   #8
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrivenGarage View Post
That's awesome the PPF is done and means it was likely owned by a careful enthusiast. The dealer likely didn't give the guy anything for the PPF, so don't let on that it's valuable to you. I would go in around 62k and I bet they will be willing to play ball. The end of year is coming and the weather isn't optimal for the M2. I am assuming the blue one is low miles?
The car has 2600 miles, and about 10 of those miles were from me as I was able to test drive it. It was the dealers HEA car that a local car enthusiast bought (guy has about 100 cars) so I'm sure it got special treatment. I can't quite like that ZF blue color enough to pursue it. Just checked and the price dropped 500 bucks since yesterday.
      11-22-2023, 09:32 AM   #9
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Price is not fact only an opinion.

I suspect that M2 at your local dealer -- somewhere in Minnesota I take it -- is going to sit on the lot for a long time, months.

General rule of thumb is research the car's trade in value -- which will almost certainly be higher than what the dealer allowed for the car. (Dealers don't go by the "book" but like to say they get their numbers from the "back of the book". But the publicly available trade in value gives you some idea of what the dealer has in the car. That new of a car it needed nothing other than a detail to make sale ready.

The trade in value then is where you start your negotiation.

Keep in mind the dealer is paying a flooring cost of (estimated) $250/month. Sure he may have paid for the car out of his cash reserves but still the (I estimate $60,000 trade in value) at 5% a year works out to $250/month of interest income he forfeits to floor the car every month.
I don't think there is enough history with the G87 M2 to have accurate trade in values. I only spent about 5 minutes researching values so maybe someone else has more insight but here is what I saw: KBB won't provide any values, and Edmunds spit out a range from 51K to 53K-- low 50's might be the case for "normal" car depreciation but we are dealing with a new car where the demand for them exceeds the supply.

I agree with you that this M2 local to me will sit for a while. It's been at the dealer for about 5 weeks and already has had a couple price drops.
      11-22-2023, 12:31 PM   #10
OldButSmooth
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Meanwhile in Sydney Australia there are currently over 20 new G87 M2's available for immediate delivery from authorised dealerships at RRP. If ever there was an indicator that our economy is slowing this is it. For the record I had a car on order and delivery was to be around the 15 November, ship still hasn't arrived and wisely I chose to buy a car from the showroom for immediate delivery at RRP.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 07:49 AM   #11
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
I don't think there is enough history with the G87 M2 to have accurate trade in values. I only spent about 5 minutes researching values so maybe someone else has more insight but here is what I saw: KBB won't provide any values, and Edmunds spit out a range from 51K to 53K-- low 50's might be the case for "normal" car depreciation but we are dealing with a new car where the demand for them exceeds the supply.

I agree with you that this M2 local to me will sit for a while. It's been at the dealer for about 5 weeks and already has had a couple price drops.
Did a quick search at autotrader and 227 new 2023/2024 M2's turned up. I had my ZIP code but had the search "nationwide". Think the supply exceeds demand. That's a time when a good deal can be had...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 09:45 PM   #12
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Did a quick search at autotrader and 227 new 2023/2024 M2's turned up. I had my ZIP code but had the search "nationwide". Think the supply exceeds demand. That's a time when a good deal can be had...
The problem there is a bunch of those are inbound cars that are already sold. Many/most BMW dealers list these cars as if they were unsold.

That said, I still suspect you’re right. Cars are out there, just takes a little detective work and willingness to travel for the right car at right price.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2065.00