BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

12-20-2023, 05:32 AM   #287
Wasp_Factory
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

It's a lot of work to remove the rear deck - many other parts as far forward as the door need to be removed. You wouldn't want to do all of that without going the extra mile to add the sound deadening.

For my part, I will be doing the fix per this thread over Christmas https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2065966 I'm grateful to TJZ67201 for the detailed write up and Coconut for the original diagnosis. Will report back in the New Year.
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201843.50
      12-20-2023, 08:12 PM   #288
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp_Factory View Post
It's a lot of work to remove the rear deck - many other parts as far forward as the door need to be removed. You wouldn't want to do all of that without going the extra mile to add the sound deadening.

For my part, I will be doing the fix per this thread over Christmas https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2065966 I'm grateful to TJZ67201 for the detailed write up and Coconut for the original diagnosis. Will report back in the New Year.

My suggestion wasn’t to pointlessly remove and reinstall things exactly as it were. It was to take the car for a drive while the parts were still removed, to eliminate any question about if the parts are related or not. Someone had asked how to know if the sound deadening was fixing a problem or masking it, so i was recommending a test drive to settle that question.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 04:54 PM   #289
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Ok so I’ll admit that I fucked up a bit. See when I did my testing it was abnormally warm out. Fast forward 2 weeks later and it got cold in the Midwest (like it should be) and the noise returned… I ripped apart and removed rear deck and I still heard the noise. It just so happened that when I did my initial testing it was warm and my car doesn’t make much noise at all when it’s warm.

So last week I took my car to the dealer. They confirmed they heard the noise and replaced the rear passenger shock absorber. The car still makes the exact same noise. They could have opened a case with BMWNA but decided not to (they consulted with me first) since I have a tuned trans. They advised I remove the tune and bring it back so BMWNA doesn’t void part of my warranty if they see the tune.

So I am I still experiencing the rear thumping noise after my rear deck lid fix. It is important to note that my fix DID permanently resolve vibration noises when blasting songs with bass, but it is not entirely the cause of the thumping noise I am hearing. I am busy the next couple of weeks but I will post here if/when there are any suspension updates. They tested another M240 on the lot and it also had the noise. I am not sure what year that was but I’m assuming it was brand new.

TO EVERYONE IN THIS FORUM! If you are hearing the suspension noise, please bring your car to the dealer if you can, after the holidays of course. We need BMWNA to properly investigate this issue and maybe issue a service bulletin or recall. Thank you all and have a merry Christmas and happy holidays!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 10:28 PM   #290
Jshoulder
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i X drive

FIXED: As a few folks have mentioned BMW has replaced my rear shock mounts and I can CONFIRM the noise has gone.
Appreciate 3
Rdurty2693.00
TJZ67201843.50
      01-09-2024, 05:26 AM   #291
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshoulder View Post
FIXED: As a few folks have mentioned BMW has replaced my rear shock mounts and I can CONFIRM the noise has gone.
Just the mounts? They didn’t replace the struts too?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 10:47 AM   #292
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:

Can you post a picture of the work order so others can see what they did/replaced? On mine they replaced both rear shocks and upper mounts and there was zero change to the noise. Attached is my right rear for reference. On subsequent pages it shows the exact same description for the left rear repair.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-10-2024, 09:30 AM   #293
Wasp_Factory
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

As I posted on another thread, on my RHD UK car, the noise comes from the rear passenger side (rear left) - the opposite side to where LHD cars seem to be noisy. Can't think of anything different back there between LHD and RHD builds that would explain it.

Looking forward to more feedback from Jshoulder
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 02:11 PM   #294
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, please attach your invoice so we can compare work completed and part numbers.

Here’s my invoice from last month (US car - right hand side only). The work completed on this invoice did NOT fix my issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 09:19 PM   #295
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sir - Any updates? Is the issue still fixed? If so, would you mind posting a pic of the repair bill? Other members of the forum would like to compare part numbers that were replaced.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 06:05 AM   #296
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Sir - Any updates? Is the issue still fixed? If so, would you mind posting a pic of the repair bill? Other members of the forum would like to compare part numbers that were replaced.
This always seems to happen. This isn’t the first time a newer member posts it’s fixed, people ask for more info, and the person never returns.
Appreciate 1
hooked190.00
      01-17-2024, 01:55 PM   #297
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
This always seems to happen. This isn’t the first time a newer member posts it’s fixed, people ask for more info, and the person never returns.
Probably a couple days later they realize nothing was fixed.
Appreciate 3
Rdurty2693.00
hooked190.00
      01-17-2024, 04:08 PM   #298
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTDG42 View Post
Probably a couple days later they realize nothing was fixed.
Lol you are probably right.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 11:58 PM   #299
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Well I’ve read the entire thread from beginning to end like a story, hopefully with a happy ending. I see there is none.

MY ‘24 and I have the clunk too. Same deal…right rear, slight bumps in the road, especially if it’s a series of them like an undulating surface. Sounds like a bad shock, a loose exhaust pipe that’s hitting something, or the softball in the wooden box. The weather is cold (MA). And it’s much less or almost gone with the soft setting on the dampers, but it’s not too difficult to make happen with the firm setting. I only have around 500 miles on it. I will mention it at my first service but I don’t have high hopes they will even do anything.

It seems like there isn’t a real solution yet. Just one person who said it’s fixed and then disappeared. Meanwhile others have done the same thing and more, with no change.

+1 to the people waiting and watching this thread. But for now I can ignore it
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201843.50
      02-16-2024, 02:08 PM   #300
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Well I’ve read the entire thread from beginning to end like a story, hopefully with a happy ending. I see there is none.

MY ‘24 and I have the clunk too. Same deal…right rear, slight bumps in the road, especially if it’s a series of them like an undulating surface. Sounds like a bad shock, a loose exhaust pipe that’s hitting something, or the softball in the wooden box. The weather is cold (MA). And it’s much less or almost gone with the soft setting on the dampers, but it’s not too difficult to make happen with the firm setting. I only have around 500 miles on it. I will mention it at my first service but I don’t have high hopes they will even do anything.

It seems like there isn’t a real solution yet. Just one person who said it’s fixed and then disappeared. Meanwhile others have done the same thing and more, with no change.

+1 to the people waiting and watching this thread. But for now I can ignore it

Yup. It's real, BMW says it's normal, and there is no confirmed fix or workaround.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 02:18 PM   #301
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked View Post
Yup. It's real, BMW says it's normal, and there is no confirmed fix or workaround.
The real kick in the pants is I recall one or two YouTube reviewers that were testing the launch vehicles and noted this problem. They were told BMW is aware of the problem and is working on a solution.

Here we are, over 2 years later.

Side note, this week the car has been annoying me more than usual (with noises), so I decided if it's not going to act like a "luxury coupe" then I'm treating it like a sport coupe. It has seen very liberal throttle application and many lateral G's this week. If I can't enjoy it as a quiet cruiser, then I'm going to beat on it and give it back after the lease it up
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 11:53 AM   #302
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you gone to a dealer where at least they acknowledged the issue? You’re in MA right? I don’t feel like trying to convince the service guys there’s a noise if I don’t have to.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 08:06 PM   #303
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is not normal. My dealer acknowledged it’s an issue and they want to investigate further. Might bring mine in sooner than waiting for my next oil change. Seems it is getting louder in my case
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 09:18 AM   #304
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Have you gone to a dealer where at least they acknowledged the issue? You’re in MA right? I don’t feel like trying to convince the service guys there’s a noise if I don’t have to.
Yes. They acknowledged it and even had the regional service manager from NJ come and hear it too. They used chassis ears to confirm it even though it is clearly audible but at least I have everything in writing. See below. After a LOT of time and back and forth, BMW finally told them it was normal even though they confirmed it and agreed it was abnormal in their experience. There was one other M240i that had the same issue and it happened to be a BMW technician at the dealership! They didn't have any other M240is since so few had been sold up here by then (Dec 2022). I don't blame the dealership as they did put a lot of time and effort into it, but if BMW doesn't back them up, their hands are tied.
Attached Images

Last edited by hooked; 02-28-2024 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: Added work order text
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 09:19 AM   #305
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
This is not normal. My dealer acknowledged it’s an issue and they want to investigate further. Might bring mine in sooner than waiting for my next oil change. Seems it is getting louder in my case
I agree. BMW doesn't. Therein lies the problem...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 11:18 AM   #306
cedmet
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw M240I

Same for me, living in Switzerland and just bought a G42 from 2022 and i have the same annoying noise when driving slow and roll over small holes, definitely coming from the right rear suspension and definitely not good for a car of this prize!!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 06:20 PM   #307
NoDramaG42
Private
Rep
Drives: M240x G42

2023 December build date, the issue still persists even at just 50 miles on the car.

Since a solution doesnt exist, imo its not worth having BMW techs mess the car and potentially cause other issues.

Wonder if moving to coilovers solves the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 11:27 AM   #308
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDramaG42 View Post
2023 December build date, the issue still persists even at just 50 miles on the car.

Since a solution doesnt exist, imo its not worth having BMW techs mess the car and potentially cause other issues.

Wonder if moving to coilovers solves the issue.
Not certain, but someone with coilovers said they don’t have it. But it’s not clear if they had it before. I’m not totally convinced it’s the struts, myself. People have replaced them and the mounting hardware and it’s no change.
Appreciate 0