E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Cars suddenly has tons of codes

08-13-2023, 07:23 PM   #1
fcrestore
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Cars suddenly has tons of codes

Hi,

I recently bought a 2011 335i with steering angle sensor, traction control, and passenger airbag faults after the previous owner replaced the steering wheel. It only had 50k miles, so I figured the fix was likely not super complicated, and most likely the clockspring. The owner also HARDWIRED a switch from under the dash to the positive terminal of the battery and the wipers because the steering wheel buttons and wipers weren't working.

I opened up the steering wheel to find a torn clockspring and replaced it with a new one, but when I went to get the clockspring coded, it still did not remove those faults.

In the past few months, as I've been driving, the car started doing strange things, and gotten progressively worse. First, the speedo started suddenly not working intermittently. Then the gas gauge would fluctuate. Now, the gear indicator will sometimes not work, and I get a transmission fault and go into limp mode. Most recently, my tach has started flickering.

To be clear, it has no issues starting, and no issues driving. It will just limp mode after a little, and sometimes as soon as it turns on. But, no issues with starting, lights, or staying on.

I pulled codes and got a TON. I cleared them all, drove the car and pulled these (and a few more, but you get the gist):
003BD1
00CD87
003BD7
003BD5
003BD2
00CDB0
00CDAD
00CF34
00CFSB
0055C3
00CF4B
00D34C
006F56
00D358
00A3AC
00A3B9
00A556

Most of these codes are with a DME error. I'm a little overwhelmed and not sure where to start.

I figured the first would be to undue the hardwired wipers? Which grounds should I check after that.

Thank you for any and all help!!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 04:31 PM   #2
Xalithar
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335I X-drive (2011)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It almost looks like a wiring issue. When you have data or sensory input shorted together it causes the the respective computers to freak out. I would start by looking at the wiring at the steering wheel and it column and work your way through the dash, specifically the wiring that could of been touched by the previous owner. Then I would also undo the third party wiper switch and replace the defective car switch. Don't buy new, see if a junk yard like a pick-n-pull has bmws there. It would not hurt to do a steering wheel recalibration to see if it will narrow down the codes.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 05:26 PM   #3
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Check battery voltage when off and with the engine running. These cars don't like low voltage.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 03:02 PM   #4
Flores
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Have pretty much the same issues your having but thought it was because of the transmission fluid change I did that was causing the problems, took it to a shop and told me it was a bad clockspring and needed to be replaced and on top of that something was needed to be program that costed me 1k.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 08:29 AM   #5
D5 TXN
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 320D

I've had the same issue the past 3 weeks or so, after driving home in heavy rain I parked up and the morning after I turned out of My street and was hit with amber traction, ABS, and handbrake lights. Wipers won't turn off and indicators don't work but hazards do. I've tried a bunch of known fixes that haven't helped, My battery was the ORIGINAL from when the car was registered and was draining to 12.2/3 when off, i put a new one in, a new ABS module, ABS sensors on the rear (the previous ones were worn) and replaced a very warm black fuse in the glovebox (Big black square one). No fix from any, wondering if anyone has any other issues or if OP has sorted his? Hope My current experience helps with yours if not
Appreciate 0