E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2006 BMW 325i to 328i N52 swap

09-05-2024, 04:05 PM   #1
SONORA-SAM
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i Sonora Metalic

Question 2006 BMW 325i to 328i N52 swap

afternoon,as the title states im looking to replace the blown motor in my 2006 BMW 325i with 215K miles and a Auto trans. I was driving home from my grandparents on the highway one evening very hard. Im not a fast driver by any means. but this particular afternoon i must have been possessed by some sort of demon. Engine braking, 100MPH+ throwing the engine to the rev limit every gear, any how. i got home and the engine was knocking im assuming i spun a bearing. it sounds as if someone is in my oil pan slapping a mallet against a block of wood every crank rotation. Im eventually going to be rebuilding this 325i N52 but what im wondering is if a engine from a 2011 BMW 328i X drive will technically "drop in"from my understanding the only difference between the 325i and 328i is the cam and lifters, and the possibility of a different ECU. Is there any thing i should be made aware about regarding the differences between the 2.5 and 2.8? i understand the 2.8 coming from a X drive might require a different oil pan as if i remember the axle runs directly through the thing? do you guys think im going to need to do computer work with this kind of swap? and last of all is there any advice one can give regarding pulling the motor and installing the motor. i used to be a mechanic and i know BMW does things that makes everything a hell of a lot harder.

just some more information on my vehicle
it has the silver magnesium? valve cover
as said 215K miles Automatic Trans
RWD
base no upgraded dash
NON related
thing went through a quart of oil a month, to not consuming any before death.
i believe this to be the cause of my motor blowing as i never could understand the electric dipstick gauge and always kept it in the middle.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 04:49 PM   #2
shanemeggison
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 325i

I would suggest looking into doing a 330i n52 swap
Appreciate 0