home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

12-17-2023, 12:18 AM   #1
OldButSmooth
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

G87 m2 v base 992 911

I am yet to find a Youtube review putting the BMW G87 up against a base 992 series 911.

I have found the odd 911 V M4 video, however nothing comparing the G87. Interestingly the G87 produces more power than the base 911 (and it needs to carrying those extra kilos), but, I remain curious if the 911 at double the price is the victor on a closed circuit.

For the record I love 911's, but can't justify spending the money and then being paranoid putting mileage on it (it's a residual value thing), not an issue using the G87 as often as i want.

Cheers
OBS
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 04:24 AM   #2
El SID
Enlisted Member
Rep

“He who goes to heaven with the lowest mileage Porsche, loses”

- Jerry Seinfeld
Appreciate 11
Ravenseal2811.00
ourlee918.50
BRAKE!844.00
Baller145.50
eleven11374.50
Ronin76827.00
LCDRJohn607.50
BLKM46.50
      12-17-2023, 04:31 AM   #3
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Unless you have money for a GT 911...BORINGGGGG. Get an M2.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 3
      12-17-2023, 05:28 AM   #4
m34door
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 35i, 2021 x5 msport, 2

😆
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 06:53 AM   #5
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldButSmooth View Post
I am yet to find a Youtube review putting the BMW G87 up against a base 992 series 911.

I have found the odd 911 V M4 video, however nothing comparing the G87. Interestingly the G87 produces more power than the base 911 (and it needs to carrying those extra kilos), but, I remain curious if the 911 at double the price is the victor on a closed circuit.

For the record I love 911's, but can't justify spending the money and then being paranoid putting mileage on it (it's a residual value thing), not an issue using the G87 as often as i want.

Cheers
OBS
If you don’t know, you don’t know.

I suspect it might be close but it’s a difference of how those numbers are achieved. I think I’d feel more nervous trying to match the 911 in an M2 vs the other way around.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 08:33 AM   #6
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Get a base 992 911. Better handling, better steering, lower weight, lower seating position, better control, better looking car.
Appreciate 4
c1pher4674.50
Ronin76827.00
MPR1812.50
      12-17-2023, 08:35 AM   #7
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
Unless you have money for a GT 911...BORINGGGGG. Get an M2.
Even if you do have money for a GT Porsche, good luck getting an allocation. You need to buy multiple cars to be considered for a GT allocation.

Used GT’s are priced higher than MSRP.
Appreciate 1
c1pher4674.50
      12-17-2023, 10:35 AM   #8
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Get a base 992 911. Better handling, better steering, lower weight, lower seating position, better control, better looking car.
No rear seat space, no cargo capacity, (can’t fit your skis in, can’t fit your bike in, can’t fit your tires in), 2x the price.

Both are good cars, and if the 911 fits your bill, go for it. The M2 is an insanely better car, while the 911 might be the better toy.
Appreciate 1
Geighty71410.50
      12-17-2023, 10:58 AM   #9
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
No rear seat space, no cargo capacity, (can’t fit your skis in, can’t fit your bike in, can’t fit your tires in), 2x the price.

Both are good cars, and if the 911 fits your bill, go for it. The M2 is an insanely better car, while the 911 might be the better toy.
The base 911 is a good car, but more bought by those that want the Porsche badge than enthusiasts who want to track it, as there are more visceral and better handling cars available for the same price.
Appreciate 2
M2siast5918.00
Geighty71410.50
      12-17-2023, 12:49 PM   #10
yuzu
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Literally $60k vs $120k, I don't really understand the point of even thinking about this comparison (which is why you're not gonna find content on it).
Appreciate 2
M2siast5918.00
BLKM46.50
      12-17-2023, 01:18 PM   #11
M2Sky
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I have a 991.2 GTS and my G87, speed wise I think the gts would take it 911 Traction is just that much better. Base 992 prob same unless surface is perfect.

The main area I prefer my G87 is it’s playfulness the 911 just feels a lot more grown up.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 01:25 PM   #12
BRAKE!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

The videos on G82 M4 vs 911 still serve as good proxies for the M2. The M2 is essentially a shorter version of a base M4 w/ similar weight. I can't imagine a significantly different outcome.
Appreciate 1
Ronin76827.00
      12-17-2023, 01:35 PM   #13
OldButSmooth
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Agreed a better car as it should be at twice the price of the G87. Not sure it is a better handling car than the G87, no doubt the Porsche has better steering feel (something missing in modern BMW's). Having owned a few Porsches I can state categorically the build quality of the G87 is not that far away from the legendary Porsche.

OBS
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 09:44 AM   #14
KCuv
Platinum Member
Rep
Drives: Tacoma

Forgive me for the length - but this comparison is very near and dear to my heart. I'm a long time diehard 911 enthusiast, look at their market everyday, still will buy more of them.. and I made a similar decision when choosing the M2.

Quick caveat - To whoever said a base 911 costs 2x the M2, so how can you compare... its not really the case - Now, I'm not buying Bugattis or anything wild, im not rich rich - but the price was a bonus..not the reason to buy the M. I could comfortably pay for a 911...and my m2 was 77, not 60. Not 120, but still quite a bit more.

Even though 911s, I recognize and truly believe, are literally the greatest cars of all time...a base 992 Carrera, is lucky to fit in that bucket. I personally was looking at a carerra T, which would be 140k including sales tax, vs the 85-86 the M2 cost me. That IS a big difference, but it's not the only variable I considered. The M2 was the better car for me.

The 992 is only special because... its a 911...but lets be honest, unless its....air cooled, or any generation of gt3, its not "special" its an amazing "regular" car...but thats part of its charm I guess.

The M2 is special IMO. Carbon roof, carbon buckets, M tri-color every where...last manual M? potentially last RWD M? last gas M? There are things going on with this car that give it more of a cool factor.

It also has significantly more grunt. You don't have to tell me 911 power doesn't translate like other cars, I am aware - but if we're talking WHEEL hp - we're in the ball park of PCar putting down 340whp/300tq vs 470whp/410tq. It's a significant difference here, and the M car accelerates just about anywhere in the rpm range, violently faster.

911 handling is iconic, we know. If you own a g87 and have ever done any spirited driving in sport+ suspension settings, you know this thing has no body roll and is glued. All of the complaints about weight are out the window, this thing handles extremely well, and leaves little to be desired on any on/off ramp you can throw at it.

I could, and still may daily a carerra T - I think its cool to have something like that and treat it like a regular car. Every day stuff, all seasons. Shopping, drop kid off at school, road trips, you name it - it's just your car, and not only a toy. It would willingly handle it all perfectly, it would be great, and I would enjoy it.
There's zero arguing however, the M2 is better at that in every way. My kid has plenty of room in back, the trunk is huge, the seats fold down, comfort settings are quiet and silky/floaty on highway - few cars have this ability (this well) with the press of a button to be a "race" car and also a comfy GT cruiser.

There's also a pretty important factor to me a lot of people may not care about..
When I go to work, or a family members house, or literally anywhere - only car nerds notice the M. I do get the odd guy in a WRX going wild next to me on the highway psyched up to see the car, but generally..It's a normal car. I would look like a complete twat showing up to work among other places in a 911 all the time. Even back in the day with a 996 that wasn't worth over 20k at the time...Perception is reality.

Overall, the M2 checks all of MY boxes (which I presume a lot of you are in a similar boat) that just about no other car available today can check. The exception is the M3..which if I had to have 1 car, it may be in my driveway due to the 2 extra doors. Also.. if it had the M2 kidneys, it wouldn't be so hideous in front, but if my aunt had a dick, she'd be my uncle.
Appreciate 16
      12-18-2023, 01:27 PM   #15
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCuv View Post
Forgive me for the length - but this comparison is very near and dear to my heart. I'm a long time diehard 911 enthusiast, look at their market everyday, still will buy more of them.. and I made a similar decision when choosing the M2.

Quick caveat - To whoever said a base 911 costs 2x the M2, so how can you compare... its not really the case - Now, I'm not buying Bugattis or anything wild, im not rich rich - but the price was a bonus..not the reason to buy the M. I could comfortably pay for a 911...and my m2 was 77, not 60. Not 120, but still quite a bit more.

Even though 911s, I recognize and truly believe, are literally the greatest cars of all time...a base 992 Carrera, is lucky to fit in that bucket. I personally was looking at a carerra T, which would be 140k including sales tax, vs the 85-86 the M2 cost me. That IS a big difference, but it's not the only variable I considered. The M2 was the better car for me.

The 992 is only special because... its a 911...but lets be honest, unless its....air cooled, or any generation of gt3, its not "special" its an amazing "regular" car...but thats part of its charm I guess.

The M2 is special IMO. Carbon roof, carbon buckets, M tri-color every where...last manual M? potentially last RWD M? last gas M? There are things going on with this car that give it more of a cool factor.

It also has significantly more grunt. You don't have to tell me 911 power doesn't translate like other cars, I am aware - but if we're talking WHEEL hp - we're in the ball park of PCar putting down 340whp/300tq vs 470whp/410tq. It's a significant difference here, and the M car accelerates just about anywhere in the rpm range, violently faster.

911 handling is iconic, we know. If you own a g87 and have ever done any spirited driving in sport+ suspension settings, you know this thing has no body roll and is glued. All of the complaints about weight are out the window, this thing handles extremely well, and leaves little to be desired on any on/off ramp you can throw at it.

I could, and still may daily a carerra T - I think its cool to have something like that and treat it like a regular car. Every day stuff, all seasons. Shopping, drop kid off at school, road trips, you name it - it's just your car, and not only a toy. It would willingly handle it all perfectly, it would be great, and I would enjoy it.
There's zero arguing however, the M2 is better at that in every way. My kid has plenty of room in back, the trunk is huge, the seats fold down, comfort settings are quiet and silky/floaty on highway - few cars have this ability (this well) with the press of a button to be a "race" car and also a comfy GT cruiser.

There's also a pretty important factor to me a lot of people may not care about..
When I go to work, or a family members house, or literally anywhere - only car nerds notice the M. I do get the odd guy in a WRX going wild next to me on the highway psyched up to see the car, but generally..It's a normal car. I would look like a complete twat showing up to work among other places in a 911 all the time. Even back in the day with a 996 that wasn't worth over 20k at the time...Perception is reality.

Overall, the M2 checks all of MY boxes (which I presume a lot of you are in a similar boat) that just about no other car available today can check. The exception is the M3..which if I had to have 1 car, it may be in my driveway due to the 2 extra doors. Also.. if it had the M2 kidneys, it wouldn't be so hideous in front, but if my aunt had a dick, she'd be my uncle.
You are forgiven for this lengthy post. You went places with your thoughts that are deep and helpful. I appreciate the comparison to "similar" P cars as prior to ordering my M2 I was hellbent on getting into a 911. Now I feel compelled to post something sort of lengthy.

After determining that I needed a modern 911 with a turbocharged motor with some low and mid range grunt (I'm coming from a 19' M240i with the torquey B58) I started to land on the 911.2's Carrera base models from the 2017 and 2018 model years. But for $70K all you are getting is the 911 carrera base model with 40k or more miles and no warranty.

My M2's sticker price is about $69K and feels like I am getting way more of a car for that price. On top of that the M2 is a little more practical with the larger rear seats which my kiddos will really appreciate. Going through the process of researching Porsches I realized the type that I would really want is a $100K plus car and my budget is topped out at $70K. If my budget allowed it I would go with a Porsche for the opportunity to experience one.
      12-18-2023, 03:01 PM   #16
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCuv View Post

I have echoed much of what you’ve said in my thoughts between the M2 and my 911S. Due to the rear engine and weight, the 911 can just make better use of the power it does have.

I have had lots of people comment on the M2 and have gotten lots of compliments. I suspect it’s due to its newness and it’s also priced somewhat at a level that it’s more attainable. When I drive the 911, I’m just as likely to get scowls as I am compliments or acknowledgment of having a cool car. I used to get lots of attention with my C7 Corvette. Maybe the 911 just flies under the radar. I can tell you though everyone wants to race me in either car or simply pass me to say they can because I allow it lol.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2023, 03:28 PM   #17
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Other than like CarWow, I don't think there will be a lot of videos comparing both of those car's performance because as you said, the price is so far apart. My G87 was $76K with just about every single box ticked. A base 911 with every option is like nose bleed level of money.

Quote:
I would recommend tracking a G87, I don't think a standard 911 has a shot at a G87 on track. I think you would need to go up to a GTS for similar performance.

Quote:
That is certainly a good opinion to have and if that thought would bug you in your car ownership, then there's no way you should purchase something you are afraid to drive. It's like saving the car for the next guy, that's terrible.

Quote:
Cheers
OBS
      12-18-2023, 06:41 PM   #18
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

For the same money as the M2 in Canada you get a base Cayman with the 2.0 turbo. I would love to see a review between those 2 the M2 would probably eat it for breakfast.

For the Base 911 I think the comparaison is only valid if you would pick your M2 automatic if you want a manual M2 then you have to go with the carrera T which is even more expensive. In Canada, it is pretty much twice the money of an M2 you have to give up alot of praticality. I did speed alot of time on the Porsche configurator but I can never justify the extra cost. It is a better sport car but is it twice the car?
Appreciate 3
M2siast5918.00
      12-19-2023, 06:31 PM   #19
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:

C'mon... The M2 is an "insanely better car" than the 911? 😂 It's not even in the discussion with a 911. Aside from price, carrying people and goods, the M2 has absolutely nothing else about it that surpasses a 911. Engine, transmission, chassis, looks, build quality, brand prestige...

911s are about as close to sports car perfection as you can get these days.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 06:33 PM   #20
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
For the same money as the M2 in Canada you get a base Cayman with the 2.0 turbo. I would love to see a review between those 2 the M2 would probably eat it for breakfast.

For the Base 911 I think the comparaison is only valid if you would pick your M2 automatic if you want a manual M2 then you have to go with the carrera T which is even more expensive. In Canada, it is pretty much twice the money of an M2 you have to give up alot of praticality. I did speed alot of time on the Porsche configurator but I can never justify the extra cost. It is a better sport car but is it twice the car?
Is it twice the car? No. Does it have to be to justify the price? Also no. It's worth every penny of what it costs and it holds value better than most cars out there. So while you will pay a premium upfront, you'll recover that at sale down the road.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 07:26 PM   #21
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2audioman View Post
C'mon... The M2 is an "insanely better car" than the 911? 😂 It's not even in the discussion with a 911. Aside from price, carrying people and goods, the M2 has absolutely nothing else about it that surpasses a 911. Engine, transmission, chassis, looks, build quality, brand prestige...

911s are about as close to sports car perfection as you can get these days.
Can you go to Costco with a 911?
Can you go skiing with a 911 with your skis inside it?
Can you take your children on rear-facing car seats in a 911?
Can you take your tires inside your car for a race day or tire changeover?

The M2 can do all of those.
The 911 cannot do anything the M2 cannot do.

So if the 911 can't do anything the M2 can't, how is it better, when the M2 can do things the 911 can't?

The M2 is an insanely better car.
As I stated, the 911 might be the better toy.

The Macan is a better offroader than a 911.
The Toyota Sienna is a better car than an M2 if you have 4 children.

Once you understand what "better" means, you'll get it.
The M2 is the best car in the world. But sometimes it's beat by a Civic. And that's ok.

I love Ferraris. They are insanely bad cars. I wish I had one.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 07:47 PM   #22
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Can you go to Costco with a 911?
Can you go skiing with a 911 with your skis inside it?
Can you take your children on rear-facing car seats in a 911?
Can you take your tires inside your car for a race day or tire changeover?

The M2 can do all of those.
The 911 cannot do anything the M2 cannot do.

So if the 911 can't do anything the M2 can't, how is it better, when the M2 can do things the 911 can't?

The M2 is an insanely better car.
As I stated, the 911 might be the better toy.

The Macan is a better offroader than a 911.
The Toyota Sienna is a better car than an M2 if you have 4 children.

Once you understand what "better" means, you'll get it.
The M2 is the best car in the world. But sometimes it's beat by a Civic. And that's ok.

I love Ferraris. They are insanely bad cars. I wish I had one.
You’re defining ‘better’ as more practical. You should have led with that. Aside from practicality, the 911 is vastly superior to an M2 in all criteria that a ‘driver’ cares about.
Appreciate 0