BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

03-02-2022, 12:35 PM   #23
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
Yup, we need some specifics here, what size are your rotors, front and rear, what about calipers, have you verified they are "bigger" than stock. (note: i would like to have it verified the size of the rotors and calipers of the ZTK package since there is no mention of brakes in the description, yet i have come to believe the front rotors are larger (374MM?) yet calipers are the same. So can folks with that option verify?
The online builder seems pretty accurate to reflect when you make a change to options/packages. Some weeks back I took screen shots of the car with and without the ZTK package specifically to see if the calipers change. They did not.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 12:48 PM   #24
DriftKing860
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Passat

I believe the m240i in the USA has the same breaks with or without package. Other countries have 18" wheel options thats why it's an upgrade. You can't get 18 in USA.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 02:43 PM   #25
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

All US M240s get the bigger brakes regardless of tire choice.
US's ZTK package adds the wheels, the fender extensions (spats), and the additional cooling "Technology " package.
I don't know/think that the Technology package adds any additional hardware, only that it's BMW marketing way of saying they changed some of the programming to allow for more cooling overall.

I don't know what the situation is with the 230.
They may get smaller brakes standard, but can option the larger size.

I believe you can order 18" wheels in the US. They may not be on the BMW Build your own configurator, I think I did see them on the build sheet. My 18" aftermarket Wheelset with sno tires, definitely fit the bigger brakes.
      03-02-2022, 03:58 PM   #26
CJ2018
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 e50  [9.50]
2023 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpirx View Post
US's ZTK package adds the wheels, the fender extensions (spats), and the additional cooling "Technology " package.
I don't know/think that the Technology package adds any additional hardware, only that it's BMW marketing way of saying they changed some of the programming to allow for more cooling overall.

I don't know what the situation is with the 230.
They may get smaller brakes standard, but can option the larger size.

I believe you can order 18" wheels in the US. They may not be on the BMW Build your own configurator, I think I did see them on the build sheet. My 18" aftermarket Wheelset with sno tires, definitely fit the bigger brakes.
But if you read the specs on the USA bmw website configuration, you will see that the cooling wheel package list "larger brakes"
      03-02-2022, 04:44 PM   #27
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ2018 View Post
But if you read the specs on the USA bmw website configuration, you will see that the cooling wheel package list "larger brakes"
Bmwusa.com is not known for accuracy so I would check that with a more dependable source before using it for any decision or conclusion.
Appreciate 1
Jashue202.50
      03-02-2022, 09:24 PM   #28
SugarFreeSteve
Rep

I've had my M240i for about 1k miles now, I feel like the brakes are a little soft for a sport/performance brake caliper. Does anyone know if this car is brake by wire? If I press the pedal harder it starts braking well enough, I don't think it's inadequate for the road, I just got to press harder than I'd like to get it to slow at the rate I want.

I haven't gone around trying to lock up the brakes but I'm sure it could.

So I think it's just something I got to get used to in this car, that I have to press a little farther and firmer to get the brake feel I want. My previous car had brembos and was far more aggressive on the brakes, which for daily driving I don't see as a positive or negative. It's just another thing I'll have to adapt to and eventually forget I'm even doing it.

It's also hard to compare, because of different tire sizes, rotors, calipers, and curb weights, etc.

Last edited by SugarFreeSteve; 03-02-2022 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 10:35 PM   #29
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Bigger than WHAT? that statement means nothing to me, bigger than ?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 11:04 PM   #30
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did not see "larger brakes" mentioned. The following is what i find on accessing the Build BMW website, there are no "specs" unless i am accessing something different?
Quote:
Increased capacity of the braking and drivetrain cooling systems guarantee long-lasting high performance under extreme driving conditions, particularly when driving in very high temperatures.
Now i could interpret that to mean only better cooling for the brakes (which is a common add on for M2s) My peeve is that BMW is so non-specific in the description, is it different pads?, is it a different caliper, is it larger rotors...if so how big, or maybe just brake cooling ducts? Totally open to interpretation, lack of "specs".

To make matters worse the more detailed Order Guide does not mention brakes whatsover in the description of that option. From what i can figure it includes a larger 374mm front rotor. (standard M240 is 348??) But what bugs me is nowhere can i find it in any BMW source data. There are "larger" BMW calipers but these do not come with that option from what i can figure (or guess?)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 11:25 PM   #31
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I did not see "larger brakes" mentioned. The following is what i find on accessing the Build BMW website, there are no "specs" unless i am accessing something different?
Now i could interpret that to mean only better cooling for the brakes (which is a common add on for M2s) My peeve is that BMW is so non-specific in the description, is it different pads?, is it a different caliper, is it larger rotors...if so how big, or maybe just brake cooling ducts? Totally open to interpretation, lack of "specs".

To make matters worse the more detailed Order Guide does not mention brakes whatsover in the description of that option. From what i can figure it includes a larger 374mm front rotor. (standard M240 is 348??) But what bugs me is nowhere can i find it in any BMW source data. There are "larger" BMW calipers but these do not come with that option from what i can figure (or guess?)
I can’t find it either anywhere so I’ll bring a ruler and flashlight outside after dinner. We don’t have the ZTK on our M240i. The brakes feel great though…as they should on the street at least since both are more than adequate size for this car.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 04:09 AM   #32
Gavatron1
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:

I can't find it either anywhere so I'll bring a ruler and flashlight outside after dinner. We don't have the ZTK on our M240i. The brakes feel great though…as they should on the street at least since both are more than adequate size for this car.
Thank you. Photos would be great. In Australia the car come with no brake or cooling option. We may just get these as part of our import.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 06:47 AM   #33
CJ2018
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 e50  [9.50]
2023 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Increased capacity of the braking and drivetrain cooling systems guarantee long-lasting high performance under extreme driving conditions, particularly when driving in very high temperatures.

"Increased capacity of the braking" is what I interpreted as LARGER brakes
      03-03-2022, 10:27 AM   #34
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep

My understanding was that all US 240's are equipped with the M-sport package, which includes among other thing M-sport brakes.

I believe that these M-sport brakes are the same as the ones found on the G20 M340 as they are built on the same platform.

I don't know what the size difference is over non M-sport brakes but I'm pretty sure there is not another increase in brake size with the ZTK
Package. Same M-sport brakes, but with increase cooling. I doubt that this is much more than coding changes rather than additional hardware.

I really wish BMW was more transparent regarding these technical details, it is important for us enthusiasts.
      03-03-2022, 10:44 AM   #35
CJ2018
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 e50  [9.50]
2023 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
My understanding was that all US 240's are equipped with the M-sport package, which includes among other thing M-sport brakes.

I believe that these M-sport brakes are the same as the ones found on the G20 M340 as they are built on the same platform.

I don't know what the size difference is over non M-sport brakes but I'm pretty sure there is not another increase in brake size with the ZTK
Package. Same M-sport brakes, but with increase cooling. I doubt that this is much more than coding changes rather than additional hardware.

I really wish BMW was more transparent regarding these technical details, it is important for us enthusiasts.
Agree 100%
      03-03-2022, 10:53 AM   #36
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavatron1 View Post
Thank you. Photos would be great. In Australia the car come with no brake or cooling option. We may just get these as part of our import.
The weather isn’t great so I just did a quick check of the radius from wheel center to rotor edge with a ruler. Somewhere between 17 and 18cm and definitely not between 18 and 19. So it seems the 348mm rotors are fitted on the M240i without ZTK. Is ZTK bringing the 374mm as it does on M340i? Likely but need to be verified by someone with ZTK.
Appreciate 3
XC3LLR82062.50
jbazz256.50
Ilyam5897.50
      03-03-2022, 02:20 PM   #37
jbazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 30i , 1990 Miata Turbo

solstice thanks for measuring. I would also like to know if you get larger rotors with the ZTK. That could explain the "Increased capacity of the braking" verbiage with listed on the option.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 02:28 PM   #38
Vancouver_M440
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavatron1 View Post
The weather isn’t great so I just did a quick check of the radius from wheel center to rotor edge with a ruler. Somewhere between 17 and 18cm and definitely not between 18 and 19. So it seems the 348mm rotors are fitted on the M240i without ZTK. Is ZTK bringing the 374mm as it does on M340i? Likely but need to be verified by someone with ZTK.
The larger brakes refer to larger rotors with same calipers and pads. Those measurements are the ones listed in the dealer info packet which my sales agent shared with me. The larger rotors require 19 inch wheels to clear and if you look at photos or videos you can see there isn't much gap to allow 18s.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 11:35 PM   #39
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_M5 View Post
The larger brakes refer to larger rotors with same calipers and pads. Those measurements are the ones listed in the dealer info packet which my sales agent shared with me. The larger rotors require 19 inch wheels to clear and if you look at photos or videos you can see there isn't much gap to allow 18s.
Just so i am clear...the "larger brakes" you refer to i take it are the 374 front rotor size specific to the ZTK option. Is that what you are confirming? In other words the previous post that claims all are the same size including the ZTK option is incorrect? I believe the standard for non ZTK is 348 front 345 rear? (not totally certain on that)

Thanks for your post.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 12:03 AM   #40
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

does a larger rotor affect braking performance even though the caliper and pads are the same? afaik, the surface area that the pads will contact is the same so there shouldn't be any "performance" gain? the only thing I can think of is heat dissipation but I don't think it's that much of a size difference for it to matter.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 12:47 AM   #41
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo- View Post
does a larger rotor affect braking performance even though the caliper and pads are the same? afaik, the surface area that the pads will contact is the same so there shouldn't be any "performance" gain? the only thing I can think of is heat dissipation but I don't think it's that much of a size difference for it to matter.
The description on the website says it enhances "brake and drivetrain cooling" so I think bigger rotors, same everything else would align with what they're saying. It's the "cooling and tire" package, not the stronger brakes package.

If you want stronger brakes the M Performance big brake kit is available as a dealer-install option, although it's pretty pricey.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 02:40 AM   #42
Gavatron1
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 03:59 AM   #43
sbarrang
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: M240i coupé 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post
The description on the website says it enhances "brake and drivetrain cooling" so I think bigger rotors, same everything else would align with what they're saying. It's the "cooling and tire" package, not the stronger brakes package.

If you want stronger brakes the M Performance big brake kit is available as a dealer-install option, although it's pretty pricey.
In Europe, the 33T M Technik package has bigger front disks a part of better engine cooling.

Could be that this brake improvement is not available out of Europe?.. as per the pics, I think so..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 08:13 AM   #44
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo- View Post
Physics.
Larger radius brake disc (hub to contact patch),
Is a longer lever arm (physics term, not an actual car part) allows more stopping force to be generated by an equal pressure on the brakes versus a smaller diameter rotor.
EXE462101.50