bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

View Poll Results: Do you get tick and click noises from the dash?
Quite often/prevalent, never got better 0 0%
Very few, but no change over time 3 50.00%
Very few, gotten better over time 1 16.67%
None, Ever 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

04-03-2024, 02:28 PM   #1
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Click and tick noises from dash trim - Does it go away with age?

I am curious if anyone else noticed the expansion/contraction cycles, especially near the HVAC vents, causing clicks and ticks as the interior changes temperature? I understand this is a normal expansion/contraction phenomenon as the materials expand and contract based on temperature fluctuations, and overlapping plastics or dissimilar materials are likely the culprit. My G42 is by far the worst vehicle I have owned for this, and it's especially bad when it's cold and the interior is warming. It takes a good half hour or more before the noises reduce to nearly never. Most of my drives are usually that length, so there is no reprieve for me. As it has become warmer lately, it seems less prevalent, but it's still happening.

In the worst scenario, a 50 to 60% throttle application from a stop results in the whole trim piece basically creaking from the acceleration stress. It just makes this 70K car sound cheap.

I am at about 5,000 miles / 8,000kms, and about 11 months since delivery. Has anyone noticed this from new, but with some time it has greatly reduced over time?

I have my first service coming up in a month and a bit. I'd like to bring up any noise concerns within the first year window since most manufacturers officially have a "fit and finish" adjustment period within the first year, so I would bring up these minor concerns within that timeframe. My local dealer has been willing to try to address noise concerns after 1 year, but I'd at least like the minor ones documented so I can monitor and deal with them in the future. If this will go away on its own based on other's experience, great, I can probably leave it be. If nobody else seems to have this issue, it could be an issue with the materials in my particular unit.

Curious to get some feedback from the community on this. Yes, I understand the irony of knowing the root of the problem yet refusing to acknowledge it as normal, that's just me and the irritable old man I'm becoming. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 03:44 PM   #2
AlexC2er
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i RWD

Idk, I hear it like once in a while, and it doesn’t bother me that much. Maybe mine is not as loud. Mine came from two places, one is behind drivers left vent, the other is from behind the center vents
Appreciate 0