M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
TestDrive’s M2 Review

Another review in. Seems we’ll be seeing reviews of the “brand new” car until next year.

Appreciate 2
ourlee933.50
ronin130131002.00
      08-13-2023, 04:30 PM   #2
clydefrog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ, G87 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW G87 M2  [0.00]
2013 Subaru BRZ  [0.00]
I usually like their videos but they went ON and ON about the looks and then the weight, but of course like everyone else they get to the end and say it's brilliant.

At one point they said if this wasn't a BMW M2 would people still be buying it it's that ugly -- and I think it's the opposite! If it wasn't a BMW people wouldn't be shitting on the styling that much.
Appreciate 6
M2siast5997.50
aerobod3727.00
ronin130131002.00
MLBMW37.00
      08-13-2023, 04:33 PM   #3
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog View Post
I usually like their videos but they went ON and ON about the looks and then the weight, but of course like everyone else they get to the end and say it's brilliant.

At one point they said if this wasn't a BMW M2 would people still be buying it it's that ugly -- and I think it's the opposite! If it wasn't a BMW people wouldn't be shitting on the styling that much.
Good point you’re making.

I agree talking about looks, the most subjective part, is not what reviewers should do. To use their analogy with your partner, some people find some people attractive, even if you think they’re ugly. So beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

That said, I also agree you can love the car once you get used to its looks and by how capable it is. It starts looking better.

But they’re wrong the car is “ugly”, given how many people think it’s awesome. I think we, BMW enthusiasts, are the most prone to finding it ugly, since we’re biased and used to a different design language.

I like these guys, and was subscribed to them. Their review doesn’t disappoint, to me.
Appreciate 2
clydefrog290.00
aerobod3727.00
      08-13-2023, 05:05 PM   #4
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Just because BMW decided to do something different doesn’t make it an ugly car. I think time will be kind to the G87.
Appreciate 5
M2siast5997.50
aerobod3727.00
clydefrog290.00
MLBMW37.00
      08-14-2023, 04:30 AM   #5
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Just because BMW decided to do something different doesn’t make it an ugly car. I think time will be kind to the G87.
I think so too. If you want to look at ugly, look at the buck tooth grill of the G80 M3. Now that's a face only a mom could love. People who said the looks of the front end eventually "grew" on them have to continue saying that or convincing themselves "it's okay" every time they walk up to the front of the car.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 06:52 AM   #6
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

There are rules to design. For example, a face that is symmetrical is more pleasing than a face that is not. And mixing squares and circles and soft lines with hard lines if done at all should at least be done subtly and with finesse. Not every woman can be on the cover of a high fashion magazine, and for very good reason.

As an individual, you might like the look of the BMW M2 and that's fine. But there is no question that aesthetically BMW (for whatever reason) pushed or broke some of those design rules and the result of that decision is being commented on by many reviewers.

Being different doesn't automatically mean a design is aesthetically correct or pleasing, it just means that it's different. That is, of course, why new designs that are both different but still aesthetically pleasing are not all that easy to create. Different still has to follow certain design rules or you might end up with something that is both different and unpleasant.

If that happens, people start asking: why in the world did they do that?

Bob
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 07:27 AM   #7
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

I agree that they are bitching at it to create some hype and clicks. Much of it due to being a BMW and an easy target. Once the blood is in the water, they are going to center on it until they find the next target.

I've noted in many posts that the new Mustang, which is very similar in layout, power and size to the M2, is also heavier, as is the camaro, as is the Cadillac sedans, as are the Porsche sedans, as are all the AMG vehicles, as are all EVs, and weight is never mentioned in those reviews. Fact is, the E46 ain't coming back and it is not due to lazy engineers. These cars have to be 2X stronger than even cars from 4 years ago, and unless you pull a 911 trick, and remove all of the sound insulation and ancillary parts, you're going to be looking at a weighty vehicle.

As for styling, I get that there are aspects I don't like. But again, if you look at many other designs, they also share the same flaws, and again, no one mentions them. I mean, the Nissan Z looks like a carp fer' chrissakes. And lets not even get started on Korean designs.
Appreciate 4
aerobod3727.00
clydefrog290.00
DSTR1286.00
      08-14-2023, 12:11 PM   #8
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDRJohn View Post
I agree that they are bitching at it to create some hype and clicks. Much of it due to being a BMW and an easy target. Once the blood is in the water, they are going to center on it until they find the next target.

I've noted in many posts that the new Mustang, which is very similar in layout, power and size to the M2, is also heavier, as is the camaro, as is the Cadillac sedans, as are the Porsche sedans, as are all the AMG vehicles, as are all EVs, and weight is never mentioned in those reviews. Fact is, the E46 ain't coming back and it is not due to lazy engineers. These cars have to be 2X stronger than even cars from 4 years ago, and unless you pull a 911 trick, and remove all of the sound insulation and ancillary parts, you're going to be looking at a weighty vehicle.

As for styling, I get that there are aspects I don't like. But again, if you look at many other designs, they also share the same flaws, and again, no one mentions them. I mean, the Nissan Z looks like a carp fer' chrissakes. And lets not even get started on Korean designs.
Nicely said.

Also a review this late is utterly fkn meaningless. Welcome to the party now take out the trash and be gone lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 01:13 PM   #9
ronin13013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I enjoy my G87. It has grown on me. Even the M4. However coming from an E92 M3 I do feel resentful. They would never play with the M5 or M8 styling the way they did with the M2 M3 and M4. I feel that BMW is sending a message. If you want your M product to do back flips and be gorgeous you gotta pay 120k plus. Otherwise you get what we give you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
Nicely said.

Also a review this late is utterly fkn meaningless. Welcome to the party now take out the trash and be gone lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 11:35 AM   #10
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I don't think the design of the rear and the tail lights could be much worse. Its bad. I saw a white one in person and I wanted to like it.
It needs to be in a color like black to hide the trash lines.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 12:09 PM   #11
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelguin View Post
I don't think the design of the rear and the tail lights could be much worse. Its bad. I saw a white one in person and I wanted to like it.
I got white so you will have to see them.
Appreciate 3
ronin130131002.00
GHO$T20.00
      08-15-2023, 12:45 PM   #12
ronin13013
Lieutenant
Rep

Hey Steelguin the rear bumper is similar. It has the same lines as the old car just angular and more aggressive. Not soft and bulbous. The old car looks strange to me. Like a shorter stubbier bloated version of my E92 M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 12:49 PM   #13
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin13013 View Post
the rear bumper is similar. It has the same lines as the old car just angular and more aggressive. Not soft and bulbous. The old car looks strange to me. Like a shorter stubbier bloated version of my E92 M3. QUOTE=Steelguin;30402797]I don't think the design of the rear and the tail lights could be much worse. Its bad. I saw a white one in person and I wanted to like it.
[/QUOTE]

The rear of the F22/F87 is not appealing to me either, I could never make the jump from the E82 to it, as the rear end is disproportional in the F22/F87.

I prefer the rear end of the G80/G82, but the aggressiveness of the rear bumper in the G87 makes it better looking to me.
Appreciate 1
ronin130131002.00
      08-15-2023, 02:45 PM   #14
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin13013 View Post
Hey Steelguin the rear bumper is similar. It has the same lines as the old car just angular and more aggressive. Not soft and bulbous. The old car looks strange to me. Like a shorter stubbier bloated version of my E92 M3.
similar? My 21 doesn't have those huge bulbous tail lights or the weird fangs that hang down on the corners. There is nothing similar.

If you like the new design that's good. I think BMW design has lost its way. Its terrible.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 02:51 PM   #15
ronin13013
Lieutenant
Rep

I can respect that. I would never have bought a F87.
Quote:
similar? My 21 doesn't have those huge bulbous tail lights or the weird fangs that hang down on the corners. There is nothing similar.

If you like the new design that's good. I think BMW design has lost its way. Its terrible.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5997.50
      08-15-2023, 03:01 PM   #16
CodeSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '17 Macan GTS

Quote:

There's definitely some echos of the same design, the usage of the vertical reflectors as a 'cut in' design element and the raised black diffuser with the bottom bumper that sticks out from where the trunk sits.

In terms of bulbous design... that was always the word I used in describing what I didn't like about the F87 rear end, not nearly enough definition and aggressiveness.

I would probably have preferred if the rear bumper was slightly less blocky than it is but I vastly prefer the chiseled rear end of the G87.

'17 Macan GTS + '23 M2 (MT)
Appreciate 3
ronin130131002.00
aerobod3727.00
mrdudley356.50
      08-15-2023, 03:05 PM   #17
ronin13013
Lieutenant
Rep

I know what I'm talking about! Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeSlinger View Post
There's definitely some echos of the same design, the usage of the vertical reflectors as a 'cut in' design element and the raised black diffuser with the bottom bumper that sticks out from where the trunk sits.

In terms of bulbous design... that was always the word I used in describing what I didn't like about the F87 rear end, not nearly enough definition and aggressiveness.

I would probably have preferred if the rear bumper was slightly less blocky than it is but I vastly prefer the chiseled rear end of the G87.

Appreciate 3
M2siast5997.50
aerobod3727.00
mrdudley356.50
      08-15-2023, 03:07 PM   #18
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This is where this forum goes absolutely insane. I'm glad you recognize that looks are subjective, not objective.

When I was moving on from my F30 I was between an F87 and a G42. Both were roughly the same price and I had a tough choice to make.

I can't stand the rear of the F87. It just looks feminine to me, the way the rear number is just like a fat wide butt without much definition. It's really striking because you see the front of the car which looks incredible, but then you go around back and it looks so much like a standard 230i. Like CodeSlinger is saying, bulbous is the exact word I'd use to describe the rear of the F87, especially beneath the trunk like. It's like a wraparound inner tube to my eye.

I ended up getting the G42.

Then, like you, I hated the rear of the G87. I had the opportunity to put the first deposit down for a G87 at my dealer in April of 2022 and because I hated the rear and they wanted $10k over MSRP I rejected that offer.

Fast forward to June, I finally got a chance to see a G87 in person. The car looked incredible, I just wasn't completely in love with the rear bumper on the Brooklyn Gray car I got to see. However, and this is big, I didn't hate it. I hated it in all the photos I had seen, but I actually didn't mind it in person, and I actually liked the whole package significantly more than the F87, which we had a couple of with us at this event.

Fast forward another 30 days and I bought a black G87. Dark colors win on this car. It's unfortunate that black sapphire is the only dark color offered right now. This car in mineral gray, tanzanite blue, dravit gray, thunder night metallic, hell even Portimao blue would be incredible.

Now with the way my car is set up, I wouldnt even trade it for an F87 M2 CS. I'm completely in love with it.

And this is coming from someone who hated this car at first.

To go back to my original point, aesthetics are completely subjective. That being said, I would still never buy an M3 or M4 with the pig nose.
Appreciate 4
ronin130131002.00
M2siast5997.50
baron951756.00
GHO$T20.00
      08-15-2023, 03:09 PM   #19
ronin13013
Lieutenant
Rep

So true!! F87 looks like Junior's sports car to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rons e92 View Post
This is where this forum goes absolutely insane. I'm glad you recognize that looks are subjective, not objective.

When I was moving on from my F30 I was between an F87 and a G42. Both were roughly the same price and I had a tough choice to make.

I can't stand the rear of the F87. It just looks feminine to me, the way the rear number is just like a fat wide butt without much definition. It's really striking because you see the front of the car which looks incredible, but then you go around back and it looks so much like a standard 230i.

I ended up getting the G42.

Then, like you, I hated the rear of the G87. I had the opportunity to put the first deposit down for a G87 at my dealer in April of 2022 and because I hated the rear and they wanted $10k over MSRP I rejected that offer.

Fast forward to June, I finally got a chance to see a G87 in person. The car looked incredible, I just wasn't completely in love with the rear bumper on the Brooklyn Gray car I got to see. However, and this is big, I didn't hate it. I hated it in all the photos I had seen, but I actually didn't mind it in person, and I actually liked the whole package significantly more than the F87, which we had a couple of with us at this event.

Fast forward another 30 days and I bought a black G87. Dark colors win on this car. It's unfortunate that black sapphire is the only dark color offered right now. This car in mineral gray, tanzanite blue, dravit gray, thunder night metallic, hell even Portimao blue would be incredible.

Now with the way my car is set up, I wouldnt even trade it for an F87 M2 CS. I'm completely in love with it.

And this is coming from someone who hated this car at first.

To go back to my original point, aesthetics are completely subjective. That being said, I would still never buy an M3 or M4 with the pig nose.
Appreciate 1
rons e921439.50
      08-15-2023, 03:12 PM   #20
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
4. It looks great . . . from some angles. From others, it looks like a weird, fat-hipped cow. The front three-quarter view is killer—a snarly face, aggressive haunches, a low roof. But the M2 is based on the standard 2-series, which looks tall and narrow but also oddly fat in places (blame the stuffing of mid-size sedan components into a smaller frame). This car, lower than the standard 2, looks a tad saggy in the butt and rockers. The fat fenders help, as do the bumper covers. But don't stand behind it. Hell, just stay in the driver's seat. It looks great from there.
LOL (this is about the F87 btw)
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...2-first-drive/
Appreciate 1
ronin130131002.00
      08-15-2023, 03:20 PM   #21
CodeSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '17 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
Haha it's always funny how the most negative reaction to car design is always when it comes out and then it's a steady track up from there.

It's easy to see this with the S650 mustang right now and I remember the exact same thing with the S550 before. Some designs are immediate winners, but most aren't.
'17 Macan GTS + '23 M2 (MT)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 03:26 PM   #22
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

As far as looks go, Harry put it all to rest calling the car thuggish. I’ve been busy trying to think up a vanity plate in a clever way using thug etc
Appreciate 1
ronin130131002.00