E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Im scared of airbags. So tell me....

03-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
plague
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE

Im scared of airbags. So tell me....

I went ahead and got the M tri-stitched steering wheel.. I change the wheel on my mk3 golf project car before like a p@ssy standing outside the car literally stretching to unplug the airbag as i was doing it scared shitless.. Went smooth.

BUT, when installing my procede tune on saturday i started the car and had a check engine light. Spoke to Shiv, he told me to clear the codes, did it, and light was gone for good. He said the car was still slightly awake during the install and was logging codes along the install thats all. So some power is STILL there obviously even when battery negative is not attached.

I want to install my wheel, but im honestly scared to do it. Is it safe for me to do it..... simple question.. i mean can i sit comfortably in my drivers seat and do the install without worrying.... thanks .
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
i completely know how you feel. if you haven't thrown any airbag faults, i don't see an issue... i could be wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
i completely know how you feel. if you haven't thrown any airbag faults, i don't see an issue... i could be wrong though.
im not gonna lie i attempted to START the install saturday before putting in the tune. obviously the hardest part is getting in the little crevice behind the wheel to push the buttons that allow the airbag to pop out so you can disconnect it. Well i was having trouble making that happen, i called the dealer to ask how to get the dang thing to pop and they responded with "The airbag COULD deploy, its not safe so we arent going to disclose that information to you". It sounded to me like there was an undertone saying "um, bring it in to us so we can charge you $300 for the install, its safe for us not you derf". am i wrong.. idk....
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Unplug the battery's negative terminal in the trunk first! Then, do the install. It's very easy. Shouldn't have any issues with the negative terminal unplugged. Wait a few minutes if you don't feel safe. I've done the M-Sport wheel install more than a couple of times and my face isn't broken (knock on wood).
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
Unplug the battery's negative terminal in the trunk first! Then, do the install. It's very easy.
so with the negative being unplugged, there is no worry?? and have you installed one? lol, how the hell do i just get the airbag to pop forward. i am pushing on a white little button looking device with screw driver, nothing gives.. and where do i press on the other side? i see the button on the right side (my right), nothing on left. lol thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
plague
Captain
Rep

did you just edit your post as i was posting lol? ok so youve done it.. maybe you can fill me in on getting the airbag to pop out lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
MooseCaboose
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with a doge

when i installed my msport wheel even with the negative unplugged. i still got an error on startup. had a trip to the dealer afterwards and they fixed it free of charge! (lol, i said i got it installed at another dealership)

and yes, i am sure my negative was unplugged and not touching the terminals. im guessing there may be some residual current that needs to be dissipated.
      03-31-2011, 12:33 AM   #8
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseCaboose View Post
when i installed my msport wheel even with the negative unplugged. i still got an error on startup. had a trip to the dealer afterwards and they fixed it free of charge! (lol, i said i got it installed at another dealership)

and yes, i am sure my negative was unplugged and not touching the terminals. im guessing there may be some residual current that needs to be dissipated.
i can clear the code through my procede unit which is nice.. lol, another dealership haha i like that. it still didnt go off on you.. +1
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:34 AM   #9
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by plague View Post
did you just edit your post as i was posting lol? ok so youve done it.. maybe you can fill me in on getting the airbag to pop out lol.
Yeah I must have! This is the guide I followed: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11825

If you're talking about getting the airbag to pop out, you have to push those metal clips in at just the right angle.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:41 AM   #10
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I must have! This is the guide I followed: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11825

If you're talking about getting the airbag to pop out, you have to push those metal clips in at just the right angle.
thanks bud thats the on i printed out as well lol.. but metal clips.. i mean where, i dont see them in there. i saw one white small button i could press on with the screw driver, do i have to press it in TOWARDS the front of car? or do i push it towards the center of the wheel.. i tried that too, felt like i was gonna break the little thing... on the left side of wheel i saw absolutely nothing to press or push or anything... i was confused honestly. just steel back there.....
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:48 AM   #11
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
thanks bud thats the on i printed out as well lol.. but metal clips.. i mean where, i dont see them in there. i saw one white small button i could press on with the screw driver, do i have to press it in TOWARDS the front of car? or do i push it towards the center of the wheel.. i tried that too, felt like i was gonna break the little thing... on the left side of wheel i saw absolutely nothing to press or push or anything... i was confused honestly. just steel back there.....
I don't recall any white buttons... be careful. You can't see the clips. You have to feel for them. It is a bit frustrating.

This will help: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=707

Push the metal clips toward the center of the wheel using a flathead screwdriver. The airbag should pop out one side at a time as you press them in.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 01:00 AM   #12
Eric@e2design
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E46 M3

you wont pop the air bag with the battery unplugged.. =)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 01:12 AM   #13
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't recall any white buttons... be careful. You can't see the clips. You have to feel for them. It is a bit frustrating.

This will help: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=707

Push the metal clips toward the center of the wheel using a flathead screwdriver. The airbag should pop out one side at a time as you press them in.
whhaat? there are slits? dude i was putting the screwdriver in the little space between the actual wheel and hub .... motherfucker lol. not for nothing, dude should have said this in that DIY lol. youd never know
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 08:14 AM   #14
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

It's simple and safe as long as you disconnect the battery. I even took my airbag apart and put a new cover on it. Bought the cover off of ebay with a new BMW badge. There are 3 parts to the airbag and they come apart pretty easy.

Last edited by ChasVS; 03-31-2011 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
whhaat? there are slits? dude i was putting the screwdriver in the little space between the actual wheel and hub .... motherfucker lol. not for nothing, dude should have said this in that DIY lol. youd never know
Actually if you've never removed your steering wheel before there are "dimples" where the hole is and no "slit" yet. You may need to feel with your fingers to locate the holes. You need to puncture the cover material to get into the holes to remove the airbag. Then you'll have "Slits" that are not noticeable once you put the wheel back on.

Last edited by ChasVS; 03-31-2011 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
GTiceman
Parrothead
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M40i   [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
i have taken off my wheel ... and even my dash for that matter ... the first time removing the bag was scary but i let the car sit for like 20 min to be safe with the trunk and doors open and the negative disconnected

be careful when you switch the adapter plate for the airbag as if you lose a spring your horn will sound when you turn the wheel haha, i found this out the hard way

the slits are the biggest pita imo to this day it still takes me a bit to find the triggers
See Garage for Mods
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:13 AM   #17
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The biggest problem I have when disconnecting the battery is to get my windows to work right again. With the E92, the windows drop down a bit when you open the door and then push up after closing the door to seal tightly. When you disconnect the battery, you need to open the window completely and close it a couple times to get it to work correctly again! Airbags are rightfully dangerous if you mistreat them, but if handled correctly you can work safely around them. No electricity, no way they are going to "blow".
      03-31-2011, 09:20 AM   #18
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

Not to sound like a man that likes to be hit in the face with airbags, but when I used to work for Honda, we would swap 'em out without even disconnecting the battery terminal. Just take the key out of the ignition and go to town. No one there had ever heard of or seen anyone get popped by one doing it that way either. I'd say if you take the battery terminal off, you should be just fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #19
psre08
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 & 330Ci E46

Done this install before as well. Disconnecting the battery is a must for real peace of mind.

Second, don't sit in the driver's seat. For the right side, I simply sat in the passenger's seat and for the left, I just did it from the outside with the driver's door open. Once the clips pop, you just pull out the airbag. Super easy job.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:09 PM   #20
plague
Captain
Rep

^ thanks a lot guys.
Appreciate 0