12-17-2023, 10:19 AM   #23
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Ok man. I won’t argue.
You don't need to believe me, go to your car and try it. Or don't, up to you.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2023, 10:43 AM   #24
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
You can reset it, I've been doing it for years on all my BMWs. I can't find a video on a G8x but this video shows what I'm talking about.

That works for the trip and individual related consumption, as it always has done on previous BMWs, but has no effect on the “From Factory” value for either distance or consumption on iDrive 8 on our G87.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5957.00
      12-17-2023, 11:01 AM   #25
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
That works for the trip and individual related consumption, as it always has done on previous BMWs, but has no effect on the “From Factory” value for either distance or consumption on iDrive 8 on our G87.
Guess I didn't fully understand what the OP meant. Thought he was talking about what's displayed in your cluster. Is the "factory value" in the hidden menu of iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 11:05 AM   #26
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Guess I didn't fully understand what the OP meant. Thought he was talking about what's displayed in your cluster. Is the "factory value" in the hidden menu of iDrive?
No, it is just one of the 4 main fuel consumption values that can be displayed.
Appreciate 2
M2siast5957.00
Tag18400.00
      12-17-2023, 01:46 PM   #27
Rep
Drives: 600LT, C6 ZR1, G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Keep the car and trade it in for a 2025 M2 next year. The 2025 will have 20 more horsepower.
Good thought, but I already ordered a ton of mods prior to getting the car. Full exhaust, BM3 flex fuel, Femto unlock, etc. So the 20hp wouldn't benefit me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      12-17-2023, 02:10 PM   #28
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
The paint issues should've been very obvious in photos or video walk around of the vehicle prior to purchase. Regarding the message about service due, what service does it say is due? The messages on mine specified that the "break-in service is due is xx miles". You can also see what services are due in the My BMW app.

Unfortunately, it looks like you jumped the gun on the purchase without doing your due diligence. Unless the selling dealer deliberately misrepresented the vehicle, it's on you.
The scratches didn't show up in photos due to the limited resolution of our WhatsApp video walkaround and the fact that it looks exponentially worse at night under a flashlight then it does in the pictures he took during daylight.

The car is going in to BMW tomorrow to comb through the service history, but thanks for the tip. I'll check out the app.

The dealer definitely misrepresented the car, but I should have done more DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
When you say the scratches are pretty deep, what do you mean? Will your fingernail catch in them? They mostly don't look that bad to me, although I'm curious how they got there. Anyway, if you can't catch a nail in them, then it can be made to look new by somebody who knows what they are doing.
A couple catch a nail, especially the ones on the side skirt area under the door. Car is going to a detailer this week for analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
You have to think about the circumstances that would land a relatively new enthusiast car like this at a "used car dealership." They likely aren't good.

It's too hard to know how the car was previously driven, and you might drive yourself mad coming up with theories.

If I were you, here would be my game plan to help put my mind at ease.

1. Bring the car to a BMW dealership for a mechanical inspection.
2. Get a quote from a BMW authorized body shop to correct the paint. Paint work like this is surprisingly cheap, in my experience. Also, it's really hard to tell from the pictures, but these might just be clear coat scratches which are very easy to correct with a polish.
3. Talk to the dealership you bought the car from. Show them the quote from the body shop. Explain that the blemishing on the paint was in fact not dirt, and that he should reimburse you for the paint work.

If the dealership isn't willing to cooperate, and you can afford it, speak to a lawyer about your options.

At the end of the day if the car is mechanically sound and you can correct the paint then you can still fully enjoy the car. It may have been tracked, but these cars are fairly tough. People buy them to track them. I don't think that's the end of the world unless the previous driver did something egregious.
I agree with all of this; that was my game plan. The dealer definitely misrepresented the car, but I should have done more DD. He has a couple G87 M2s and deals with other cars of this nature and had a story of how he acquired the car, so it didn't raise any red flags at the time. I got fatigued after having 2 prior deals fall through and just wanted to get a car. I've purchased many vehicles remotely before, and never got screwed like this. So I suppose I got complacent.

My attorney is presently reviewing the pictures of the car, our correspondence, and the paperwork for the deal. I agree with the sentiment that I'll drive myself crazy trying to explain the MPG reading and it's best to stick to mechanical analysis.

I'm friends with the service manager at my local BMW dealer, so the car is going in tomorrow for him to comb over and pull the service records. From there it is going to a reputable detailer to see what can be paint corrected and if panels need repainted.

I can suck it up and spend a couple grand extra to get the car back in shape. What worries me most is that I have a mountain of modifications sitting here ready to go on the car. I don't want to void the warranty on a car where I'm not sure if the motor was properly broken in or potentially abused and have a ticking time bomb on my hands.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2023, 02:14 PM   #29
Rep

Another thing I forgot to mention: The car only arrived with one FOB. It should have come with two, correct?
Appreciate 1
c1pher4679.00
      12-17-2023, 02:15 PM   #30
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 View Post
Good thought, but I already ordered a ton of mods prior to getting the car. Full exhaust, BM3 flex fuel, Femto unlock, etc. So the 20hp wouldn't benefit me.

Better get anything settled with BMW before pulling the ecu and sending to Femto.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 02:17 PM   #31
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Another thing I forgot to mention: The car only arrived with one FOB. It should have come with two, correct?

Not sure...if it was new, yes. As you purchased a used car, what does your contract say?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 02:29 PM   #32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Better get anything settled with BMW before pulling the ecu and sending to Femto.
Absolutely. Not going to touch this car mod wise until everything is gone through with a fine toothed comb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Not sure...if it was new, yes. As you purchased a used car, what does your contract say?
Thanks for the quick reply. Nothing is explicitly stated in contract. The dealer has been silent so far when I brought up that I only received one FOB. I should have phrased the question differently. Just wanted to verify they came from the factory with two before proceeding with the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 02:37 PM   #33
NewToM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 G87 Brooklyn Grey

Garage List
2024 BMW M2 G87  [9.12]
To confirm, I received two FOBs when I picked up the vehicle new.
Appreciate 3
M2siast5957.00
      12-17-2023, 03:08 PM   #34
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToM View Post
To confirm, I received two FOBs when I picked up the vehicle new.

This...purchased new, you get two...
Appreciate 1
NewToM367.00
      12-17-2023, 05:01 PM   #35
RootsTootsMagoots
Private
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

11.7 mpg, those rock chips, and only 3k miles means that thing was HOONED.

Check your brake pads, OP. I'm curious if you have stock ones or something for the track. Might want to consider replacing the brake fluid if the pads aren't stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 07:45 PM   #36
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
My average consumption is 17mpg OP. Tracked twice. Almost 9k kilometres.

IIRC these cars track the time the engine idled as well, have a look.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 10:19 PM   #37
FrankWhite!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BWM G87

Two keys. Good luck OP. I hope everything checks out for you.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2023, 07:04 PM   #38
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootsTootsMagoots View Post
11.7 mpg, those rock chips, and only 3k miles means that thing was HOONED.

Check your brake pads, OP. I'm curious if you have stock ones or something for the track. Might want to consider replacing the brake fluid if the pads aren't stock.
Pictures attached. I can't tell if they're stock or not. Will be pulling wheels tomorrow to get a better look.

The service message I'm receiving is for rear brake pad replacement. At 2800 miles. Not a good sign. Rotors look pretty well used for <3k miles but the rear pads don't look too terrible to me, so I'm not sure why I'm getting the service prompt. Unless the previous owner put in aftermarket pads that aren't jiving with the OEM service indicator.

Quote:
My average consumption is 17mpg OP. Tracked twice. Almost 9k kilometres.

IIRC these cars track the time the engine idled as well, have a look.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 07:10 PM   #39
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Rear brake pads needed: your car was a drift car.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 07:19 PM   #40
Rep

To those who have posted words of encouragement, thank you! And those that were a bit critical of my due diligence or lack thereof, I agree and lesson learned.

As I stated before, what worries me most is the fact that I had planned to modify the car and void the warranty and all signs are indicating this thing was thrashed and break-in was potentially not adhered to. Beyond having BMW look over the car, I was thinking of doing an oil analysis and compression / leakdown tests to ensure the motor is okay.

I connected the car to MyBMW app and the previous owner is still in there as the primary user. So he presumably has the other key and can see where the car is via GPS. Not good. I'm assuming the dealer can remove him and set me as the primary user since the car is titled in my name. Since I got his full name through the app, I was able to track down his address and phone number. I'm actually thinking of calling him up and asking him what the hell happened to the car.
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2023, 07:21 PM   #41
Rep

Quote:
Rear brake pads needed: your car was a drift car.
I wouldn't rule it out at this point. But I'm not sure how that would work with the electronic e-brake? Or are you saying they two foot it to apply braking force to the front wheels while spinning the rear? I drifted my F87 a good bit and never needed more than my right foot.

If you look at the photos, there is plenty of pad material left and the wear indicator line (4th photo) shows plenty of life left. I'm wondering if they're aftermarket pads or if the service notice is erroneous.

EDIT: Forgot to add, the car still has the OEM PS4S with star markings with plenty of tread left. That's adding to my confusion. If someone had replaced the tires, especially if they were into drifting, I'd assume they'd opt for a different tire.

Last edited by 335; 12-18-2023 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 07:23 PM   #42
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't rule it out at this point. But if you look at the photos, there is plenty of pad material left and the wear indicator line (4th photo) shows plenty of life left. I'm wondering if they're aftermarket pads or if the service notice is erroneous.
They don’t look like the BMW pads, the backing plate is normally black for the stock pads.

Also, if the previous owner info is still in there, you may be able to look at the trip history, or delve into nav system history.
Appreciate 2
M2siast5957.00
      12-18-2023, 07:26 PM   #43
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
I wouldn't rule it out at this point. But if you look at the photos, there is plenty of pad material left and the wear indicator line shows plenty of life left. I'm wondering if they're aftermarket pads or if the service notice is erroneous.
I didn’t look to compare with a new one, that’s true.
Maybe the pads were changed after the sensor got tripped. The rotors look pretty used.

Unless the sensor broke at some point (easy to break/disconnect at the track, happened to me multiple times).

Just odd to see it at this low mileage.

I would still vote on drift car because of the rear brake usage by the DSC when sliding the car.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2023, 07:27 PM   #44
gcmak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 & IS500

Quote:
Pictures attached. I can't tell if they're stock or not. Will be pulling wheels tomorrow to get a better look.

The service message I'm receiving is for rear brake pad replacement. At 2800 miles. Not a good sign. Rotors look pretty well used for <3k miles but the rear pads don't look too terrible to me, so I'm not sure why I'm getting the service prompt. Unless the previous owner put in aftermarket pads that aren't jiving with the OEM service indicator.

Pads don't appear to be the factory ones from the limited amount of pad visible but I see minor edge chunking of the pad, pad smear on the outer diameter of the brake rotor, and heat check cracks all around the front rotors you shared photos of. This car was not necessarily 'abused' but I can tell you for sure the brakes experienced a lot of high temperatures. Based on other photos of the body of the car, it was likely driven on a track.
Appreciate 1