09-13-2021, 05:22 PM   #45
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by reward72 View Post
I guess they are needed to comply with some rule about wheels not sticking out of the arches. Hopefully they can be removed after delivery...
Most likely for the G42 . . .

Nothing they will need to worry about with G87 . . . presuming the G87 will have the same 245/265, or even 255/275 setup as the F87C, those wheel arches with impressive fender flare should more than achieve the task at hand in terms of meeting regulations.

///AVM
Attached Images

Last edited by ///AVM; 09-13-2021 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 07:17 PM   #46
Denver BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i, 1997 E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reward72 View Post
I guess they are needed to comply with some rule about wheels not sticking out of the arches. Hopefully they can be removed after delivery...
Exactly why they are there. only in select markets
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:07 AM   #47
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_frankfurter View Post
The more "real" photos and videos I see of this pocket rocket, the more I love it. Wonder if the exhaust will sound less muted for US spec models as I'm sure Canada has PPF on their cars.
I'm from Canada and I'm pretty sure we don't have those filters. (I don't believe any US/Can cars do but could be wrong)
      09-14-2021, 12:55 PM   #48
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
So much carryover between parts now from the drivers seat you could easily think you were in the 3 series. I consider that a good thing, as the previous 2 definitely felt lower rent. The previous 2 series HK sound system was absolute garbage, interesting to see if they carried over parts from the 3 this time.

Very curious about NVH levels, the current 3 is excellent in this department and very quiet on a cruise. If you need a small fun daily this could be a great option, although for many use cases the m340i seems like the better option.
I'm going to guess NVH will be a good bit better than the previous generation. This car is built on a new platform so it'll be good. Probably not quite as quiet as the 3 Series, but still better than the previous 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
Finally a good design coming out of Munich I'm sure it looks even better in person
It DOES. I saw a couple in varying levels of camo coverage and they're certainly really good in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaffari46 View Post
Why BMW doesn't make cars that looks good "in photos " anymore?
People keep saying yeah wait to see them in person.
I didn't need to wait to see E46 or a m6gc "in person " to find they're good looking cars.
Good point, but when you first saw an E46 M3 or an M6 Gran Coupe in person, were they not considerably better looking than in pictures?
In my experience and with all the cars I've seen in my life, the majority of the best-looking cars only look that good in pictures. There's a huge difference between what you see in even 100 pictures versus spending 5 minutes walking around a car. I'm not saying this is one of the best-looking cars in history, but rather that having to see a car in person to truly understand and appreciate its design isn't a bad thing.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2021, 02:13 AM   #49
JD135Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Any news about an M240 Convertible? SOP?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 02:10 PM   #50
dr_frankfurter
non-essential
Rep
Drives: '21 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac View Post
I wonder if they are country specific, (I am in Australia) and as an example my OG M2 did not have wheel arch extensions but the new Comp I picked up last week did. I asked BMW dealer to take them off and they refused as they are a ADR (Australian Design Rule) specification with the wheel not being allowed outside the body. Since my Comp is BSM and I actually don't have an issue with them and do actually like them.
The wheel arch extensions are part of the Cooling and High Performance Tire package. If you go on BMWUSA's configurator, they are added on the vehicle once you select that package.
Appreciate 1
boostm3683.00
      09-16-2021, 04:32 PM   #51
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Not the best walk around… almost lost me at "fender widening thing", lost me at it doesn't look as bad in person.

New to sales?
It's not being new to sales...on the contrary, why would he say anything negative about a car that he's going to be selling in the near future? It's all about the benjamins...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 05:03 PM   #52
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
Quote:
Not the best walk around… almost lost me at "fender widening thing", lost me at it doesn't look as bad in person.

New to sales?
It's not being new to sales...on the contrary, why would he say anything negative about a car that he's going to be selling in the near future? It's all about the benjamins...
When you don't know what a component is called, it's not best to come into a community of mostly enthusiasts and call it a "thing" or "not as bad in person".
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 05:35 PM   #53
CDN-Driver
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche 718 Cayman

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

New to sales?
When you don't know what a component is called, it's not best to come into a community of mostly enthusiasts and call it a "thing" or "not as bad in person".
Try to look at it this way, that salesman was contributing, he should be thanked for his effort.
      09-16-2021, 06:00 PM   #54
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN-AWD View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

New to sales?
Try to look at it this way, that salesman was contributing, he should be thanked for his effort.
I'm afraid not everyone believes in participation trophies.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 06:55 PM   #55
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Quote:
I wonder if they are country specific, (I am in Australia) and as an example my OG M2 did not have wheel arch extensions but the new Comp I picked up last week did. I asked BMW dealer to take them off and they refused as they are a ADR (Australian Design Rule) specification with the wheel not being allowed outside the body. Since my Comp is BSM and I actually don't have an issue with them and do actually like them.
The wheel arch extensions are part of the Cooling and High Performance Tire package. If you go on BMWUSA's configurator, they are added on the vehicle once you select that package.
that's interesting. any idea what they are for exactly?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 07:10 PM   #56
dr_frankfurter
non-essential
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
I'm assuming the high performance tires are wider and the arch extensions are for that little bit of extra clearance. Must be a safety regulation thing.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2021, 12:33 AM   #57
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
I'm assuming the high performance tires are wider and the arch extensions are for that little bit of extra clearance. Must be a safety regulation thing.
In Australia it is to meet ADR compliance nothing more.
My comp has the same tires and wheels (437) as my prior OG.
The dealer was very clear and I have checked, it is simply to do with ADR compliance, the wheel/tire width must not be outside the widest part of the body of the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 01:38 PM   #58
dr_frankfurter
non-essential
Rep

Quote:
In Australia it is to meet ADR compliance nothing more.
My comp has the same tires and wheels (437) as my prior OG.
The dealer was very clear and I have checked, it is simply to do with ADR compliance, the wheel/tire width must not be outside the widest part of the body of the car.
Thanks for confirming my speculation. Visually alone it would be enough for me to avoid that package, those extensions just look awful.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 09:28 AM   #59
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
I'm afraid not everyone believes in participation trophies.
I'm confused... participation trophy for what? I don't think he was competing for anything. He was simply showing the car and saying things as they came to mind while shooting. This wasn't some rehearsed marketing spiel.

I'm sorry that you're offended by his usage of the term "thing" or him suggesting it doesn't look as bad in person - but if those are your focal points then you're obviously missing the point - so far this is one of the better real world videos showing off what the G42 actually looks like, so I very much appreciate him shooting the video.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 3
      09-26-2021, 01:52 PM   #60
CDN-Driver
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche 718 Cayman

Another Toronto dealership video:

01-25-2022, 12:46 AM   #61
LukyLu
Enlisted Member
China
Rep
Drives: G42 M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
I just don't like it, the look and power delivery of the manual M2 and derivatives need to be much better for me to consider it.

There will be big discounts on these in the coming years.
The fact that it's only rear wheel drive is enough not to buy it.. not very practical when it snows where you live....
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 06:00 PM   #62
BeemerBaron
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Here's another one in Thundernight:

Last edited by BeemerBaron; 01-29-2022 at 05:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:36 AM   #63
harcos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 240i xdrive

This one chosen...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:38 AM   #64
harcos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollyran View Post
I guess it's just an option, you can't see it on the official pr images.

Option with technical pack and sport tyres
Appreciate 0