BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) Photos, Videos and Builds

12-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #1
702MoxyBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i purple

M240i car review (by me)

I picked my car up around the 18th I think or Thursday before Thanksgiving week. That gives you guys an idea of how long I have had it. I love this car. Its fast, good mix of sporty suspension and comfort and it handles great. My car is currently getting tint and PPF today but if you don't need a four door than I think this is a good way to go over the 440i option. The only cons I can think of are the lack of RWD, 6MT and the gauge cluster is a bit too digital. I prefer the old analog style but that is preference. Otherwise the car has great options and is fantastic. ITs hard not to drive fast overall. I think as these cars get faster it will tougher to stay under the speed limit. I was looking to get a new Supra so this was my option to that. I think it was a much better deal for what you get. I do like the Supra styling but go check one out in person and see what you think. The rear end is the hardest to adjust to.

Conclusion: for the mid 50k mark this is a pretty good bargain for fun, fast and some practical sense. I saw a comparison to a Cayman but for me the Cayman is more of a track car where this is better for daily duty and better punch from the torque. B58 engine is tops so I can't hate on the engine one bit. Go get one!
      12-01-2021, 01:41 PM   #2
randomusername
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW m240i (in production)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 702MoxyBMW View Post
I picked my car up around the 18th I think or Thursday before Thanksgiving week. That gives you guys an idea of how long I have had it. I love this car. Its fast, good mix of sporty suspension and comfort and it handles great. My car is currently getting tint and PPF today but if you don't need a four door than I think this is a good way to go over the 440i option. The only cons I can think of are the lack of RWD, 6MT and the gauge cluster is a bit too digital. I prefer the old analog style but that is preference. Otherwise the car has great options and is fantastic. ITs hard not to drive fast overall. I think as these cars get faster it will tougher to stay under the speed limit. I was looking to get a new Supra so this was my option to that. I think it was a much better deal for what you get. I do like the Supra styling but go check one out in person and see what you think. The rear end is the hardest to adjust to.

Conclusion: for the mid 50k mark this is a pretty good bargain for fun, fast and some practical sense. I saw a comparison to a Cayman but for me the Cayman is more of a track car where this is better for daily duty and better punch from the torque. B58 engine is tops so I can't hate on the engine one bit. Go get one!
What is PPF?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 02:06 PM   #3
newguy2022
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 WRX STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomusername View Post
What is PPF?
Paint protection film
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 07:30 AM   #4
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 702MoxyBMW View Post
but if you don't need a four door than I think this is a good way to go over the 440i option.

The only cons I can think of are the lack of RWD, 6MT and the gauge cluster is a bit too digital.

I saw a comparison to a Cayman but for me the Cayman is more of a track car where this is better for daily duty and better punch from the torque. B58 engine is tops so I can't hate on the engine one bit. Go get one!
Did you mean the 440 GC? I like the idea of the hatch on the GC vs the 340, but the beaver tooth grille and the reduced headroom negate some of the practicality of a sedan to me. I would've got another (M)340, but I like the idea of a sportier 2-door coupe too!

I think the majority of us agree with you 100% on this! I've always had 6MT and RWD, but I'm kind of OK with the AWD know but the 6MT is a huge blow. What's kind of funny is in the early days everyone was up in arms about no 6MT, but now you hardly hear a complaint about it being auto only. We have the B58/8spd in my wife's X5 and it's a fabulous drivetrain, yes it's a bit different than what we get, but our version is even better!

I completely agree that the Cayman is more capable on the track, but especially in base trim I wouldn't call it a "track car". Yes, the M240 is
is more practical and can be ALOT cheaper (the BMW tax isn't nearly as bad as the Porsche tax!) but the Cayman has a surprising amount of storage, gets good MPG, rides comfortably, and to be honest is probably a bit more reliable overall than BMW. The M240 definitely has the I6/B58, straight line speed, and price in its favor. Both are excellent cars (I say without having driven an M240 yet)!

How do you rate the M240 as a daily driver? I've read a few reviews saying the steering/brakes/throttle is very sensitive, do you find the car twitchy at all? How do you rate the comfort of the seats and overall ride quality?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 07:38 PM   #5
702MoxyBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I actually love the cayman and 911 a lot so I should add that part. Its just one is a different car than the other. The Cayman is a bit underpowered by today's standards but that is just me. That 4 cylinder engine was a bad switch when it happened. I only have 480 miles on my car but its good. Its a bit stiff on the comfort settings for the suspension but I prefer it to be this way. I have driven the 911 and a Cayman on the track here and the cayman is light and handles well however its just not as fun due to the low torque curve and practical use of it.
      12-03-2021, 01:10 PM   #6
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep

Garage List
THe switch to the 4cyl for Porsche was such a downgrade to the overall driving experience. They make more power than the engine they replace but the character and sound are so different. The flat 6 is a glorious sounding engine!
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2021, 06:51 PM   #7
702MoxyBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Porsche makes great cars but the 911 is a different animal than the Cayman. It just works out better. The Cayman GT4 is what the best version should be. I would love to drive that bad ass ride. As for a dedicated track car I would go with an older GT3, C7 Z06, Honda S2000, E46 M3 or an older Lotus Exige. Cars that you drive to work in don't necessarily fit these other categories.
      12-04-2021, 09:37 AM   #8
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Don't discount the new GT4 RS! I'd have a tough time choosing between it and a GT3, but would probably pick a GT3 Touring since its a bit more civilized.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 03:00 PM   #9
702MoxyBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

A Porsche GT4 would be a great car. It is essentially what I wish my old NSX was with weight and power/plus newer technology. I love all these cars and that is what made picking something out so difficult recently. Much has to do with my current job duties and financial obligations. I got this M240i but was really trying for an M2 comp and just settled with this since I didn't want a warranty worry despite how much I like that car.
      01-22-2022, 06:58 PM   #10
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Thx for the review
Appreciate 0