home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

11-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #89
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 M340i

Garage List
Very nice, fully loaded car! I'm jealous! A few weeks until I should see mine. Question, are the tops of the door panels where you rest your arms hard plastic?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 05:07 PM   #90
G42Bama
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightngsvt View Post
Very nice, fully loaded car! I'm jealous! A few weeks until I should see mine. Question, are the tops of the door panels where you rest your arms hard plastic?
Not gonna lie, I never rested my arm on um. And the car was responsive and aggressive. I never had a chance too. But I'm fairly certain that they are. My biggest take away from sitting/driving that pictures/videos fail at putting into perspective…. Is just how comfortable and close the cockpit kinda surrounds you. Everything is in its perfect spot. Nothing is out of place and the car is meant to drive. For buying the car sight unseen, it blew my expectations out of the water!
Appreciate 7
      11-05-2021, 05:19 PM   #91
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by G42Bama View Post
Not gonna lie, I never rested my arm on um. And the car was responsive and aggressive. I never had a chance too. But I'm fairly certain that they are. My biggest take away from sitting/driving that pictures/videos fail at putting into perspective…. Is just how comfortable and close the cockpit kinda surrounds you. Everything is in its perfect spot. Nothing is out of place and the car is meant to drive. For buying the car sight unseen, it blew my expectations out of the water!
Classic BMW 3 series attributes. Warms the heart of someone who has owned these cars since the very first 3 series, much due to these very reasons IMO the zweier is now the new dreier.
Appreciate 2
      11-05-2021, 07:59 PM   #92
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Awesome! That is how I feel about my Boxster, never quite got that feeling with my E90, or F30's so now I'm even more anxious to get my car. We all took a leap and bought our cars sight unseen so it makes me happy to hear such a glowing review.

One other question, how is the presence of the car in person? How does it look compared to pics?

Last edited by Lightngsvt; 11-05-2021 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 3
      11-05-2021, 08:25 PM   #93
G42Bama
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42

Quote:
Quote:
Awesome! That is how I feel about my Boxster, never quite got that feeling with my E90, or F30's so now I'm even more anxious to get my car. We all took a leap and bought our cars sight unseen so it makes me happy to hear such a glowing review.

One other question, how is the presence of the car in person? How does it look compared to pics?
It's def better in person. But I (like many) have been anticipating this for quite some time. So that may be my bias. But I was having a hard time talking to my CA while we were walking around. And by the time we were driving, I was speechless. I'm legit still processing it lol Me and the wife are gonna try and go back tomorrow and check it out 🤣
Appreciate 5
      11-05-2021, 09:35 PM   #94
yanks1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Mustang GT Vert 5-speed

Great to hear a forum members review; sounds great & exceeded expectations. Got to love that, can’t wait to receive mine even more now. Best of luck with your pickup!!!
Appreciate 2
      11-05-2021, 10:08 PM   #95
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep

Garage List
That might actually be the first review on the internet since the "press" reviews are embargoed until 11/16 and I don't think many people's car have arrived yet.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2021, 10:15 PM   #96
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

So stoked to see one in person today too!
As a former F22 owner, I can definitely say the G42 has a unique, new presence. The proportions reminded me of the 6 series coupe, a car whose details I never liked, but had a bold presence. The body work on this car really stands out in person, and the divisive design details like the front end, tail lamps and lower body cladding blend much better than in the photos. Aggressive in a classy way. The hood is a knock out! Voluptuous!
I bought the car mainly because I loved the performance of the F22 and now 50 extra HP!
Seeing it in person should be a performance/appearance win/win! (Go ahead, wait on your G87, we'll have fun now!)
      11-05-2021, 10:41 PM   #97
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpirx View Post
So stoked to see one in person today too!
As a former F22 owner, I can definitely say the G42 has a unique, new presence. The proportions reminded me of the 6 series coupe, a car whose details I never liked, but had a bold presence. The body work on this car really stands out in person, and the divisive design details like the front end, tail lamps and lower body cladding blend much better than in the photos. Aggressive in a classy way. The hood is a knock out! Voluptuous!
I bought the car mainly because I loved the performance of the F22 and now 50 extra HP!
Seeing it in person should be a performance/appearance win/win! (Go ahead, wait on your G87, we'll have fun now!)
With 6 series I guess you mean the E63 which was controversial but very cool. The E24 was stunning and the F12 also looked good.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #98
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E36 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyrx7 View Post
Quote:
Nice! Make sure to get no less than $5k over msrp right now.
In my industry a comment like this could be consider collusion and could put you in an orange jump suit.
That's the beauty of different industries and the free market.
Taking advantage of people by charging over MSRP in this market is not very good business practice and displays a lack of business integrity IMO. Over the 25 years I've been buying cars I've come across dealerships conducting themselves in similar ways and wouldn't step foot in them again. Nobody likes to be ripped off or taken advantage of. Ultimately what goes around comes around, sometimes back to bite you in the ass!
No one is taking advantage of anybody. A car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And if you don't like the asking price you have 300+ other dealerships to shop from until you find the deal you want.

Your comment reeks of entitlement. No business owes you a discount or what you think is fair to pay for an item. The market sets the price, not you.

I personally don't believe in paying over MSRP on anything as a consumer myself but who am I to judge a person who is? And frankly, if someone's willing to pay over MSRP I don't believe that's being taken advantage of. Both parties agree on the price and the consumer drives home in a new car. No one is twisting that persons arm to take the car.
      11-07-2021, 09:43 AM   #99
mgokev
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In my industry a comment like this could be consider collusion and could put you in an orange jump suit.
Taking advantage of people by charging over MSRP in this market is not very good business practice and displays a lack of business integrity IMO. Over the 25 years I've been buying cars I've come across dealerships conducting themselves in similar ways and wouldn't step foot in them again. Nobody likes to be ripped off or taken advantage of. Ultimately what goes around comes around, sometimes back to bite you in the ass!
No one is taking advantage of anybody. A car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And if you don't like the asking price you have 300+ other dealerships to shop from until you find the deal you want.

Your comment reeks of entitlement. No business owes you a discount or what you think is fair to pay for an item. The market sets the price, not you.

I personally don't believe in paying over MSRP on anything as a consumer myself but who am I to judge a person who is? And frankly, if someone's willing to pay over MSRP I don't believe that's being taken advantage of. Both parties agree on the price and the consumer drives home in a new car. No one is twisting that persons arm to take the car.
Agree 100%. The "S" in MSRP is literally "Suggested" after all, not mandated.

I certainly don't begrudge the dealers for charging more if someone is willing to pay it. That's their decision to manage relationships and customer sentiment vs. short term profits. And why should I care if someone else is willing to pay more? Good for them.

This is all simple economics 101. Supply and demand. Scarcity of goods.

It's no different than me wanting a 15% discount when there's 20 people willing to buy at 5% discount so the dealer tells me no. It's a sliding scale and all relative.
2008 BMW 135i (sold)
Appreciate 1
SoCali E361000.00
      11-07-2021, 09:49 AM   #100
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgokev View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I certainly don't begrudge the dealers for charging more if someone is willing to pay it. That's their decision to manage relationships and customer sentiment vs. short term profits. And why should I care if someone else is willing to pay more? Good for them.

It's no different than me wanting a 15% discount when there's 20 people willing to buy at 5% discount so the dealer tells me no. It's a sliding scale and all relative.
Thank you! A great example is the housing market. It's like bitching and crying because you want a discount or to stay at asking price on the house you have an eye on but other buyers are coming in 50k over asking.
      11-07-2021, 08:53 PM   #101
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

I think what is off-putting is your glee in asking over MSRP, your encouragement of others to do the same, and the tone of your replies to those unhappy with the prospect of paying over MSRP.

If my sales person told me they would like to sell it for MSRP or less because I am a long-standing customer, but they have many folks that are interested in paying more so they have no choice but to ask for more I would understand and not take it personally.
Appreciate 3
Ikester192124.00
SoCali E361000.00
      11-08-2021, 08:04 AM   #102
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgokev View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you! A great example is the housing market. It's like bitching and crying because you want a discount or to stay at asking price on the house you have an eye on but other buyers are coming in 50k over asking.
Not surprised of the comparison you've made between the the real estate and motor vehicle industries as with both its well known that their salespeople don't have great reputations. I am never surprised at the new lows that some of them can reach.

Before you get too upset, I agree that there are good car sales people out there (they are few and far between). But, based on my experience many are highly questionable in their interactions and practices. This just might be one example, or at least IMO. There is a reason why manufacturers set a MSRP.

Just my 5c.

But I digress, back to the thread..
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2021, 06:18 PM   #103
jmase248
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Unfortunately based on the market buyers will pay. This 230i is $10k over MSRP and when I arrived someone was already asking to buy it.
Attached Images

Last edited by jmase248; 11-08-2021 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
SoCali E361000.00
      11-08-2021, 06:45 PM   #104
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep

Garage List
That's just insanity.
Appreciate 1
yanks1484.00
      11-11-2021, 03:13 PM   #105
solstice
Major General
Rep

In black from this angle there is something about it that reminds me of a sophisticated version of Ken Block’s Mustang.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #106
yanks1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Mustang GT Vert 5-speed

wow!!! that 230i coupe looks sweet

'08 Mustang GT Vert w/5 speed manual
Past:325ci, 330ci (my favorite) & 2018 230i; '79 Vette (owned 13 yrs.)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 04:02 PM   #107
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G42 m240ix, '18 X5 35d

Quote:
the very top of the panel is, but at my height (6'1") I was using the lower armrest, which is definitely padded, which I really appreciated.
Appreciate 1