11-11-2021, 10:42 AM   #45
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G42 m240ix, '18 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
BMW of Asheville (NC)
Damn I am 5 miles away. I might scoot over there and see if I can look at it later today. I ended up going with another dealer for price vs. Asheville.
Appreciate 1
W///7485.00
      11-11-2021, 10:45 AM   #46
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbase View Post
I drove a G42 this morning.
Name:  123..gif
Views: 914
Size:  44.0 KB
Appreciate 1
MrFoxy376.50
      11-11-2021, 10:46 AM   #47
ihbase
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90, e91, f31, f87

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelf View Post
Uhh. You drove the xDrive version. I somehow suspected this as you mentioned traction in the wet ... but we all know, that the G platform has much better traction in RWD guise than F platform in RWD! Just look at the first G8x reviews, where testers assumed they were driving already the xDrive version, which they weren't.

So at least the front page title should be adapted! Otherwise it is a bit misleading?
There is an atmospheric river over this region right now. The roads are covered with water and leaves. No one is mistaking a RWD unit for an AWD unit this week. And on that morning in particular, in addition to the G42, I'd driven two other cars putting out over 400 ft-lbs of torque over a combination of 2 f-platforms, 2 g-platforms, and one e90.

It was not a "test" under some false set of idillic test conditions. It was merely a first impression on a morning with wet weather and imperfect road conditions typical of the PNW during this season.

Finally, I am not comparing RWD to AWD. I am merely relating that on that day and in those conditions, that G42 was very impressive - it provided more tactile feedback and, given the apparent direction of the overall product line, it was more of a driver's car than I expected.

My only observation relevant to the M2C is that, as someone who owns and appreciates an M2C, the G42 felt like a legitimate and capable platform on which to base the next M2.

I expect subsequent impressions of others to vary.

-Michael
Appreciate 2
EXE462100.00
      11-11-2021, 10:59 AM   #48
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbase View Post
There is an atmospheric river over this region right now. The roads are covered with water and leaves. No one is mistaking a RWD unit for an AWD unit this week. And on that morning in particular, in addition to the G42, I'd driven two other cars putting out over 400 ft-lbs of torque over a combination of 2 f-platforms, 2 g-platforms, and one e90.

It was not a "test" under some false set of idillic test conditions. It was merely a first impression on a morning with wet weather and imperfect road conditions typical of the PNW during this season.

Finally, I am not comparing RWD to AWD. I am merely relating that on that day and in those conditions, that G42 was very impressive - it provided more tactile feedback and, given the apparent direction of the overall product line, it was more of a driver's car than I expected.

My only observation relevant to the M2C is that, as someone who owns and appreciates an M2C, the G42 felt like a legitimate and capable platform on which to base the next M2.

I expect subsequent impressions of others to vary.

-Michael
the bimmerpost lawyers are on their way to take a sworn deposition from you regarding your opinions on the drive
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 11:09 AM   #49
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340 xdrive MPPSK 6-manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
What tyres were you running?

I have to say I'm the complete opposite, I was shocked by how much grip there was in the rwd M3 and at how well it puts those 500 horses down - in the dry at least. Very, very fast off the line and with lots of grip around the corners too.

Haven't driven the xdrive version yet but I can't see how it'd be better in the dry. Wet, on the other hand…
The M4 was on michelin, the M3 on P zero.

Have you driven it without any TC ? The same day, I drove a M2 CS and the grip was similar to the m3/m4.

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #50
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BMW of Asheville (NC)
Thank you for the tip. I am going to test drive it at 4pm!
Appreciate 3
W///7485.00
yanks1484.00
      11-11-2021, 12:38 PM   #51
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good 4 2 reasons View Post
Thank you for the tip. I am going to test drive it at 4pm!
Awesome, let us know how it goes!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2021, 04:14 PM   #52
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, let us know how it goes!
Black Sapphire Metallic with Black wheels, all season tires.

Interior was black vernasca with cockpit pro, remote start, and heated seats and wheel.

Big disclaimer: I feel like I am one of the only ones here without an impressive pedigree of epic BMW models that I own or used to own. My take is coming from daily driving a 2015 VW Golf 1.8tsi (2-door of course) with a 5 speed manual. Granted it does have a APR stage 1 tune, but I can't offer you a good perspective on this new G42 versus previous BMW models, 2 series or otherwise.

Coming from another "coupe" I will say I really liked the cockpit layout. Visibility was good and the seats were extremely comfortable. The padded door armrest was at a good height for me (6'1") and I like all of the placement of the buttons.

Steering wheel felt nice, and the paddles were well sized. I did climb in the back seat and my hair was just about touching the roof. Its tight but better than I expected.

From a distance the car looks amazing. The proportions are excellent, and it looks agressive, but I do think still looks like a BMW. The front really looks great. I can understand die hards missing the halos on the lights, as well as the 2 bulbs per side but as someone coming to the brand for the first time I like the headlights. They were not the adaptive lights so I am looking forward to comparing them.

The rear looks okay from a distance but up close it is far too busy. Maybe the lighter colors look less busy but the reflections coming off the shiny black paint have you constantly wondering what you are looking at. As the driver, I really could care less, I loved the car. If you really care about the rear looks, seeing it in person did not improve my opinion of it.

If I give driving impressions, am I going to get in trouble here? New to the forum and I am not wanting to piss somebody off, so I'd be happy to write more, but I wanted to make sure first before I get banned. The dealer didn't say anything to me about it so I kind of feel like I should be free to say what I want.
Appreciate 3
jmase248301.50
G42Bama402.50
      11-11-2021, 04:17 PM   #53
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I didn't want to look like a total goof and didn't take a ton of photos. I was shocked how large the brakes looked (compared to my tiny Golf brakes) so I snapped some photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-11-2021, 05:48 PM   #54
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 M340i

Garage List
Thank you for the pics and the overview of the car. Don't call it a review or you may get jumped all over..... . Reading your opinions makes me more anxious to see / get my car! On the close-up of the mirror is that an accurate representation of the color for the Cerium Gray accents? If it is that bronzy-gray then it's exactly what I hoped it'd look like.

As for posting driving impressions, I have no idea? I know BMW has the embargo until next Tuesday but I don't believe you're a professional journalist so it *shouldn't* matter, but not sure if the mods are trying to follow the same rules or not. Can you answer one question about the driving experience, was it everything you'd hoped for?
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2021, 05:53 PM   #55
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Driving impressions are subjective, however; feel free to share. Nothing shared here will have any impact on my acquisition decisions. Having a M340i I already knows what to expect although I will test drive when that time comes. No single car is right for everybody and therefore nobody here should be questioning another man/woman's review.

There are always detractors and trolls, those folks just need to skip this one. G42 is out, for those who think the predecessor is superior, while that's merely a conjecture, you're entitled to that opinion and should steer clear of this section. If you ask me, open diff sucks and the predecessor lacked that vital piece of equipment that transforms the handling.
      11-11-2021, 06:10 PM   #56
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep

In no particular order:

The car had cockpit pro, and I didn't like how the tach and speedo were basically occupying the same space (the very top edges of the display) as the steering wheel as it was adjusted. I am glad my car has the HUD.

The difference in driving dynamics between driving in comfort and driving in sport mode really make me happy I chose this car. The power comes on effortlessly and I like being able to choose when I want to hoon around and when I want to enjoy a gentler drive. The exhaust volume was perfect.

Coming from a daily driven manual car, I have to say the automatic will take some adjusting for me. I was willing to sacrifice a manual because remote start was certainly something I wanted in a car living in Western North Carolina (our mornings are cold). I instantly felt more engaged using the paddle shifters. The actual shifting felt incredibly quick and smooth. I really look forward to getting to more familiar with the ZF 8 speed.

I was driving on quite twisty roads and while the car felt planted, I do not think the car felt "heavy". Turn in was easy, but I was also trying not to scare the salesman

Overall the car really impressed. The car feels nimble with its size, and with the power and stable feeling I think people will love this car. That being said, I can't compare my experience to previous years so take these impressions with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 6
EXE462100.00
jmase248301.50
jphcbpa314.50
wk240i46.50
ASAP10154.50
      11-12-2021, 02:32 AM   #57
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjokosaus View Post
Is the G42 not affected by the touch screen shortage?
It is not.
      11-14-2021, 03:21 AM   #58
pabrognara
Enlisted Member
Brazil
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2C 21/21

Quote:
The difference in driving dynamics between driving in comfort and driving in sport mode really make me happy I chose this car. The power comes on effortlessly and I like being able to choose when I want to hoon around and when I want to enjoy a gentler drive. The exhaust volume was perfect.
Does It feel too accelerated in sport+? When I used this mode in my m340i It was quite disturbing and rpms too high for my tastes. In fact this was the only setting the car really got a beast beside this matter.
      11-14-2021, 08:38 AM   #59
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabrognara View Post
Does It feel too accelerated in sport+? When I used this mode in my m340i It was quite disturbing and rpms too high for my tastes. In fact this was the only setting the car really got a beast beside this matter.
With the car in sport+ there are definitely times when it holds the gear for too long anticipating you are on a racetrack instead of normal roads. I see why another member of the forum said they enjoyed driving in comfort more than sport because the shift mapping is too agressive.

Coming from driving a manual for the last 7 years, I found using the paddle shifters to be the most fun without the car holding too low of a gear.
Appreciate 1
yanks1484.00
      11-14-2021, 08:43 AM   #60
pabrognara
Enlisted Member
Brazil
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2C 21/21

Exactly what happened with my m340i. And yes i was enjoying much more in comfort so the mapping was really great and the shifts were really fast.

I think 2m3forme has reviewed about this setting being the best. I also learnt that there is a hidden "comfort plus" mode that can be enabled w coding.

By the way in regular sport mode I felt some throttle lags in my previous m340i whereas didnt happen in comfort/sportplus.
      11-14-2021, 09:22 AM   #61
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabrognara View Post
Exactly what happened with my m340i. And yes i was enjoying much more in comfort so the mapping was really great and the shifts were really fast.

I think 2m3forme has reviewed about this setting being the best. I also learnt that there is a hidden "comfort plus" mode that can be enabled w coding.

By the way in regular sport mode I felt some throttle lags in my previous m340i whereas didnt happen in comfort/sportplus.
comfort plus mode sounds amazing. Definitely something I would be interested in if its possible.
Appreciate 1
yanks1484.00
      11-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #62
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Now I'm curious, how do you get into Comfort+ mode? Also, is there launch control? How about the ability to put the trans into a manual shifting mode?

Based on your experience so far, do you think adding the M-Performance exhaust is "necessary" / an improvement?
Appreciate 2
      11-14-2021, 12:44 PM   #63
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightngsvt View Post
Now I'm curious, how do you get into Comfort+ mode? Also, is there launch control? How about the ability to put the trans into a manual shifting mode?

Based on your experience so far, do you think adding the M-Performance exhaust is "necessary" / an improvement?
The only individual modes I see are eco pro (who exactly is this for) and sport individual. I have now switched to sport individual so I can can adjust the transmission to comfort setting and get the exhaust noise, damping, and tighter steering of sport mode. I am not sure yet if the engine setting can go to comfort or if it should stay in sport.

I think exhaust sound is really all to your personal taste. If drivers want a big change in noise, just replacing the muffler isn't going to yield the results of all the throaty sounding youtube videos I have seen for the m340. I love the ones that sound great and then you discover in the comments they also removed the resonator and the cat.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #64
G42Bama
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightngsvt View Post

There is launch control. This is straight from the owners manual.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-14-2021, 02:47 PM   #65
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Hopefully the M2 comes with a proper handbrake! How am I supposed to change the brake pads at a track day with EPBs?
      11-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #66
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think exhaust sound is really all to your personal taste. If drivers want a big change in noise, just replacing the muffler isn't going to yield the results of all the throaty sounding youtube videos I have seen for the m340. I love the ones that sound great and then you discover in the comments they also removed the resonator and the cat.
Thank you. I don't it crazy loud since it'll be my daily, but my 340 has the M-Power kit and exhaust and I really like how it sounds in Sport. It is all stock otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G42Bama View Post
There is launch control. This is straight from the owners manual.
Thank you for posting this. But what do they mean by "turn on drive readiness"?
Appreciate 1