BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

Yesterday, 01:12 AM   #111
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Are they necessary though? Are the single piece plain steel rotors failing at the track?
Not sure about the C8, but the C5 Z06 steel rotors cracked a lot under hard use. My son only got 3 track days out of one set on his car before significant cracks appeared.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:44 AM   #112
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtougher View Post
Yeah, mostly curious. I was told that even with my previous car, which was a 2016 340i.

Even called some random shops around me and even they said they would change rotors with the pads...couldn't tell if that was just an upsell tactic, or a general rule these days.
on our commuter mk7 jetta, i have no problem doing just pads. on anything i put through its paces in a pointed fashion, track or not, i usually do pads and rotors together. there's something to be said about having an appliance type vehicle on the side. it sees valvoline for 3 oil changes in a row (~20k miles) and then it sees my real mechanic on the fourth for a pat down. no issues in almost 100k miles...
Appreciate 2
DSTR1262.00
xtougher572.50
      Yesterday, 11:53 AM   #113
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
on our commuter mk7 jetta, i have no problem doing just pads. on anything i put through its paces in a pointed fashion, track or not, i usually do pads and rotors together. there's something to be said about having an appliance type vehicle on the side. it sees valvoline for 3 oil changes in a row (~20k miles) and then it sees my real mechanic on the fourth for a pat down. no issues in almost 100k miles...
Savvy!
Appreciate 0