E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Help with codes

06-30-2024, 12:58 AM   #1
N55.Aiden
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

Help with codes

Hi, I’ve got a 2011 n55 335i. I’ve been dealing with a vanos code for a while now and I’m just not sure what to do.

After installing an aluminum valve cover I was left with a few codes. Specifically a 2D54, and a 2D55 code (exhaust and intake vanos solenoid codes)

My car ran rough at idle and had stalled a few times, a half engine light comes on as well as a service engine light sometimes, when driving it sputters and feels like it’s misfiring.

I have cleaned both vanos with maf cleaner, I’ve tested the resistance and the pumps inside which were both fine

Not sure if links are ok but here is the YouTube video I watched for cleaning and testing

I’ve tried to install aftermarket vanos solenoids but they just don’t seem to fit right and from what I’ve read people are having the same issue with the non OEM ones.

I don’t think my vanos solenoids are failing here but any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 01:53 AM   #2
Hauteknits
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i E93 N55 6MT

Could be that the VANOS passages might be clogged. Hitting the passages with an air gun would be enough to clear them out. I wonder if the problem could be that the vanos sprockets aren't able to turn with the new cover as well, and that is throwing the code. The code is thrown when the camshaft is not able to be controlled using the vanos solenoids, not necessarily that the solenoids themselves aren't working
Appreciate 0