BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

05-14-2024, 05:51 PM   #1783
Panda230i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 230i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebarb View Post
Can't see why not, the bodylines and the bumper are the same, it should be something that is swappable.
yep, seems like skeleton of the frame is the same for 230i base, 230i m trim, and 240i. I put together pics to compare so hopefully I will be able to accomplish this upgrade like #1 or #2
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 12:38 PM   #1784
grooveK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 530i, G42 m240i

retrofitted the gear stick and replaced the little nub/clit thing that i never got used to. looks and feels much better. getting the black console trim off was a pain and a half as well as unplugging one of the plugs, but that was expecting because nothing is really that easy.

had a parking malfunction code go off but after driving it around a bit thats gone away. overall, super happy with the "upgrade."
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
koopa132.50
viperx100638.00
      05-16-2024, 02:25 PM   #1785
koopa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveK View Post
retrofitted the gear stick and replaced the little nub/clit thing that i never got used to. looks and feels much better. getting the black console trim off was a pain and a half as well as unplugging one of the plugs, but that was expecting because nothing is really that easy.

had a parking malfunction code go off but after driving it around a bit thats gone away. overall, super happy with the "upgrade."
Looks great! I'm hoping to finally get to that this weekend.
Appreciate 1
grooveK122.50
      05-16-2024, 02:45 PM   #1786
koopa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
getting the black console trim off was a pain and a half as well as unplugging one of the plugs, but that was expecting because nothing is really that easy.
I meant to ask, how was it transferring the iDrive controller? I know about the trim, I took it off on my G20 to put the alcantara knee pads in and it was a little bit of a pain, but I haven't found many resources on the iDrive controller. I'm guessing it's just a few screws and some push tabs?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 03:00 PM   #1787
speed817
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:

Are you able to shift gears using the retrofitted shift knob instead of the paddle shifters?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 03:16 PM   #1788
grooveK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopa View Post
I meant to ask, how was it transferring the iDrive controller? I know about the trim, I took it off on my G20 to put the alcantara knee pads in and it was a little bit of a pain, but I haven't found many resources on the iDrive controller. I'm guessing it's just a few screws and some push tabs?
i had a difficult time getting that plug out. i def came close to really mangling it. i ended up popping the entire idrive controller out first and pulling the plug made it more manageable. there is a little nib that locks in the purple plug which i guess is maybe more pronounced in some than others, which is why some are having a hard time with unplugging it and others not so much. i ended up snapping off the tiny black part locking it in and now im sitting here wondering if when i plugged it back in with the new console, if it "locked" into place... which im pretty sure it did, but i have my doubts lol). that nub is a lot more accessible with the idrive controller off the console.

let me know if thats confusing, and ill try to explain better.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 03:20 PM   #1789
grooveK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed817 View Post
Are you able to shift gears using the retrofitted shift knob instead of the paddle shifters?
yup, you can push the knob to the side and you can do sequential shifting from the knob or paddles.
Appreciate 1
speed817129.50
      05-16-2024, 03:24 PM   #1790
grooveK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopa View Post
sorry i think i misread your initial question. taking it off was easy. unscrew 4 t20 screws and there are four or five areas where you insert a flathead to dislodge. theres also a hole in the middle where you can help push out the controller as youre making your rounds with the screwdriver. my ebayd console also came with an extra piece of trim that i had to remove (push tabs) to fit the g42 controller. when i first tried it on, it wouldnt fit because of this and i had a quick oh shit moment but thankfully it just comes right off.
Appreciate 1
koopa132.50
      05-16-2024, 03:30 PM   #1791
koopa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
sorry i think i misread your initial question. taking it off was easy. unscrew 4 t20 screws and there are four or five areas where you insert a flathead to dislodge. theres also a hole in the middle where you can help push out the controller as youre making your rounds with the screwdriver. my ebayd console also came with an extra piece of trim that i had to remove (push tabs) to fit the g42 controller. when i first tried it on, it wouldnt fit because of this and i had a quick oh shit moment but thankfully it just comes right off.
This is what I was after, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #1792
koopa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well I didn't get to the shifter today, but I did get the front lip, side skirts, exhaust tips, and intake done. I'll try to get better pictures later when I wash it.

Next step will be shifter, then I'll probably look at getting the front bumper repainted so the holes can be filled in where a front plate was mounted. I've gone without a front plate on my cars for a long time and have never been bothered.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0