BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

11-21-2023, 07:56 AM   #265
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
Need people with a 2024 m240 to start chiming in as they get their cars.
My '24 does it. Similar to what others have described: Soft thump over ripples and bumps in the road when driving above about 25mph - sounds like it is coming from the right rear of the car. Only 700 miles on the car at the moment.
Appreciate 1
Rdurty2694.50
      11-22-2023, 12:06 PM   #266
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Update: I must officially withdraw myself from this thread. After revisiting my rear parcel shelf rattle, I have determine that the rear parcel shelf is 100% the cause of my sound, not the suspension. I cut up more of my pool noodle and wedged it far down in between the glass and the plastic trunk vent. This eliminated 90% of the rattle. Now I must take apart almost all of the rear interior to properly address the rest of the issue.

Apparently, the cause is the plastic vent coming in contact with the metal roof of the trunk. Look up forum member “Coconut” for more information. Thought I’d share this here for anyone else looking in the wrong direction trying to solve this annoying ass noise.
Don't leave! Can you document your "fix" and post pictures for others to try? I have given up on BMW doing anything about it if THEY even know what the cause is?

It would make sense that it's NOT the dampers as it seems specific to the G42 and they use these dampers on several other vehicles that don't seem to report this issue nearly as much, or at all, that is reported by this group. I would also assume that if it was the dampers, they would be up Monroe's ass about a fix and stick them with the bill. If it's a rear shelf rattle as you indicate, BMW should be able to figure out a fix and issue a technical bulletin. Maybe we can help apply pressure to get it fixed for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 12:20 PM   #267
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked View Post
Don't leave! Can you document your "fix" and post pictures for others to try? I have given up on BMW doing anything about it if THEY even know what the cause is?

It would make sense that it's NOT the dampers as it seems specific to the G42 and they use these dampers on several other vehicles that don't seem to report this issue nearly as much, or at all, that is reported by this group. I would also assume that if it was the dampers, they would be up Monroe's ass about a fix and stick them with the bill. If it's a rear shelf rattle as you indicate, BMW should be able to figure out a fix and issue a technical bulletin. Maybe we can help apply pressure to get it fixed for everyone.
I will indeed document my progress when I tackle the issue. Probably won’t get to it until another week or so. Also waiting to see if forum member Coconut will post his process. He already has posted some pics of the whole rear interior torn apart. So far I have just purchased Kilmat sound deadener to cover the bare metal once I pull the deck apart.

BMW should be able to easily remediate this from the factory TBH. They would have to either redesign the current parcel shelf foam peice to extend further back to cover more of the metal. Or at least cover the rear bare metal with sound deadening or insulating tape. Or apply felt tape to the underside of the plastic trunk vent.

Anyone know how we can get in touch with the right ppl at BMW NA? This car is pretty awesome aside from this annoying ass flaw
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 05:56 PM   #268
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

Definitely holding out to see if your fix stands up long term. I tried stuffing my rear deck with a pillow after your post, and no difference was observed. Mine really sounds like its coming from lower down and IMHO sounds like its resonating through the chassis as a slight knock. But you know how it is, these types of sound can really deceive your sense of direction.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 08:53 PM   #269
Lohan
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i XDrive

I really think this is 2 different things. Package shelf noise and suspension thump. My '23 makes the thumping noise and it resonates with the movement of the suspension. Can't see the package shelf making noise in in synch with suspension movement. And it sounds to me like a dead strut sound, although I know the strut isn't dead. Back in the early 90s I had an M3 with some suspension noise and the dealer used microphones at various points in the suspension to record noise and that was how they isolated the source. Seems 30 years later there should be something like that out there. For example mic 1 goes on right rear outside near strut, Mic 2 goes inside near package shelf, etc. Drive the car, record the sounds, see what mic picks something up, refine process from there. In the meantime, I've given up on the dealers' interest in doing anything but sell cars. I'll live with it, but it will be a factor when I decide where/what my next car will be.
Appreciate 1
hooked190.00
      11-26-2023, 08:14 PM   #270
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

I jumped in the back of my car tonight and banged around on the seats, package shelf, headliner, etc and nothing replicated the sound or even produced a noteworthy sound. Then I tapped on the child seat clip covers on the package shelf and they rattle when you tap them. In fact the rattle very easily if you tap them with your fingers tips. I am gonna put some tape on them tomorrow just to see if this changes anything. Maybe we will get lucky. 🤞🏻
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 08:19 PM   #271
chocdog
Private
Rep
Drives: F22 M240 (G42 M240 in build)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
I had what I think you all explain as the rear suspension thump on my F22. Kind of sounds like a baseball in a wooden box, only over bumps. I got used to it in that car and figured it was normal considering how stiff the suspension was. I think my G42 does something similar, although less prominent. I'll likely just waive it off as the same thing as my last car. Compared to interior parts rattling and ticking, this is the lesser of the evils for me.

Ditto for me. My 2018 F22 M240 has it. And I picked up my Aug 23 build MY24 G42 M240 on Friday. It has the same thump. But even more noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 08:48 PM   #272
BG42
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

yeah my 23 thumps in sport and sport+ i havent heard it in comfort so I just set my individual to comfort suspension and life is good. Def 2 different issues the parcel shelf and the suspension thump. I have an appointment this week for recall (rear seat sides or something) and yearly oil change so I plan to mention it to them if they say anything worth while I will let you all know.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 06:27 AM   #273
BG42
Captain
United_States
Rep

Tech said it sounded normal and complimented my exhaust setup. They didn't have the recall parts on hand so I have to go back in a week will mention it again see if a different tech says something different.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 06:46 AM   #274
dszpiro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240iX

Garage List
2022 BMW 330iX  [0.00]
2022 BMW M240iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
yeah my 23 thumps in sport and sport+ i havent heard it in comfort so I just set my individual to comfort suspension and life is good. Def 2 different issues the parcel shelf and the suspension thump. I have an appointment this week for recall (rear seat sides or something) and yearly oil change so I plan to mention it to them if they say anything worth while I will let you all know.
I don't see a recall for 2022 models. Did anyone with a 2022 G42 get a recall notice?

BMW #9: 2022 M240ix (Dec 2021)
BMW #8: 2022 330iX (Dec 2021)
Past: 320iX, M550iX, M235iX, 335iX, two Z4, 540i
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 11:42 AM   #275
BG42
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dszpiro View Post
I don't see a recall for 2022 models. Did anyone with a 2022 G42 get a recall notice?
just look on the app. It was something with the side covers in the back seat. If the app don't say you have a recall or you haven't had a letter sent to you then you are probably ok.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 09:39 PM   #276
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

So it’s official, the noise I thought was an issue with the suspension is in fact not the suspension. After tearing apart the whole rear interior, I finally fixed the issue with the rear deck lid. More info to come in the next couple days in the other thread for anyone interested. Just keep in mind that noise you may be hearing in the rear might not be the suspension…
Appreciate 1
Rdurty2694.50
      12-03-2023, 06:45 AM   #277
eshin
Registered
Rep
Drives: G42

Quote:
So it’s official, the noise I thought was an issue with the suspension is in fact not the suspension. After tearing apart the whole rear interior, I finally fixed the issue with the rear deck lid. More info to come in the next couple days in the other thread for anyone interested. Just keep in mind that noise you may be hearing in the rear might not be the suspension…
It would be great to hear more from you. I just checked today mine and the rattling noise comes from suspension bay, passenger side only. I put my phone in the trunk while trying to record annoying noise. It comes from suspension area for sure but why only one side?
I checked suspension code name and both left and right are A02
Name:  20231203_131523 rear pass.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  154.3 KB
Recording

Last edited by eshin; 12-03-2023 at 07:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 02:34 PM   #278
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ok so I have officially fixed 95% of the noise after removing the rear parcel shelf, applying sound deadening and some felt tape. Safe to say the noise is definitely not coming from the suspension IN MY CASE. Made a separate thread here for any who are interested: https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2065966
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 12:49 PM   #279
eshin
Registered
Rep

I wonder if the process you went through is actually fixing the noise vs isolating it. The more stuff you put on metal parts gives you simply less elements to transmit the noise.
Anyway interesting. I still am hoping that someone has the solution. The noise is pretty frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 04:33 PM   #280
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshin View Post
I wonder if the process you went through is actually fixing the noise vs isolating it. The more stuff you put on metal parts gives you simply less elements to transmit the noise.
Anyway interesting. I still am hoping that someone has the solution. The noise is pretty frustrating.
The noise that I was hearing (think rubber ball rolling around inside of a wooden box in the trunk) was definitely fixed (not masked) with the method I posted. Not just harder to hear because of the sound dampening materials. I understand your skepticism and I thought that might be the worst case scenario as I began the project.. that the noise would just be quieter, not fully resolved. But in fact the noise has been directly remediated. I am hyper-aware of noises when driving and this one bothered me every single time I drove.

I was able to pin-point the origin of my noise being where the rear-most end of the parcel shelf mates with the plastic trunk vent. There was enough play that it would make a knocking sound under certain levels of flex and vibration with the chassis. This is why it sounded like it was suspension-related. After wrapping the rear-leading edge of the parcel shelf with felt tape, I was no longer able to re-create the creaking and thumping sound in my testing.

I am not saying this will be the fix for EVERYONE. Some cars definitely have experienced a noise from the suspension. I am just saying the most people who think it might be suspension-related should give this a check. Most dealers are not willing to replace suspension components for such a small (but annoying) thumping sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 11:23 AM   #281
neto1
Rep
Drives: m240, 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
My '24 does it. Similar to what others have described: Soft thump over ripples and bumps in the road when driving above about 25mph - sounds like it is coming from the right rear of the car. Only 700 miles on the car at the moment.
Hello,

I just received my m240,2024 and I have the same sound on the back, were you able to resolve it?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 12:50 PM   #282
neto1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Anyone noticed this on their M240? Since day one, I’ve noticed a hollow thump or knock type noise from the rear of the car at lower speeds (<30 mph) on bumpy roads. Almost sounds like it could be a shock or mount. Since I haven’t had the opportunity to drive any other G42s, I figured I’d ask.

I wouldn’t call it loud, but it’s noticeable. Sounds like maybe the right rear, but noises can be deceiving and hard to track down. Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else noticed anything they thought to be out of the ordinary.
Hello friend, were you able to resolve the sound issue? I have exactly the same problem on my m240, 2024.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 01:06 PM   #283
eshin
Registered
Rep

Quote:
The noise that I was hearing (think rubber ball rolling around inside of a wooden box in the trunk) was definitely fixed (not masked) with the method I posted. Not just harder to hear because of the sound dampening materials. I understand your skepticism and I thought that might be the worst case scenario as I began the project.. that the noise would just be quieter, not fully resolved. But in fact the noise has been directly remediated. I am hyper-aware of noises when driving and this one bothered me every single time I drove.

I was able to pin-point the origin of my noise being where the rear-most end of the parcel shelf mates with the plastic trunk vent. There was enough play that it would make a knocking sound under certain levels of flex and vibration with the chassis. This is why it sounded like it was suspension-related. After wrapping the rear-leading edge of the parcel shelf with felt tape, I was no longer able to re-create the creaking and thumping sound in my testing.
Sounds fair. I'm going to have a car audio upgrade soon and ask to secure the deck. I hope it's going to be the solution. It's for sure like a ball rolling around.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 01:13 PM   #284
neto1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
A little update on this:

Yesterday I did the QC1/PDI on another M240i. This car makes the same noises as my car. Up until this point, my car was the only M240i we’d received, so I never had a chance to drive another one. So at this point I’m calling this “normal”.

For the record, I really don’t think it’s normal or an acceptable noise in a new BMW, but there likely isn’t anything that can be done about it unless BMW engineering acknowledges a problem and related fix.
Hello,

I have an m240,2024 and it has the same sound that you mentioned in the rear, it is only at low speeds on not very good streets, how did you solve it?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 02:16 PM   #285
neto1
Rep

Hello, could anyone solve the sound problem in the rear? I just received my m240,2024 and it has that same sound that they mention.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 04:49 PM   #286
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshin View Post
Perhaps a method to rule out your question one way or another, would be to take a drive with the suspected rear deck parts removed, before trying to dampen them. Can’t knock around if it isn’t there!
Appreciate 1
hooked190.00