home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

01-11-2023, 11:43 AM   #1
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Post PSA: How allocations work

There's been a lot of confusion about allocations lately so let this be a primer to anyone who doesn't understand the process.
  • Not every dealership gets the same number of allocations.
  • The logistics of who gets the first deliveries is handled by BMW.
  • Having an allocation is not a guarantee of anything.
  • Salesmen 'typically' do whatever's in 'their' best interest.
  • You don't have an official order until you get an official production number and VIN.
BMW handles allocations with a fairly simply strategy. Volume sellers get the bulk of allocations. If a dealer sells a lot of M cars, they will get the most allocations for M cars. Other dealers will still get allocations but not as much and the small volume dealers may only get a handful the entire year. Fair or not that's how BMW handles them.

Dealers still get to decide what cars they want. For instance, if BMW allocates 4 M2s to a dealer this month the dealership may decide to only get 2 or 3 cars and use the remaining slot/s for M3/4s instead because they may make more on the sale of those cars, already have a long backlog of customers that have been waiting for them or any other number of reasons.

Say you put a deposit down with a dealership, but it's not a high volume seller of M cars. You are number 3 on the list and you know the launch of the M2 is in April so you might think you're getting the car in April or May. The reality is your dealership may only get two cars at launch and just because the launch is in April doesn't mean the dealership will get them in April. Remember, BMW handles the allocation process and it's at their discretion how many each dealership gets each time allocations are given out and who gets the first deliveries. Your dealership may not get anything until May or June and being you're in the number 3 slot means even if they get 2 cars you still need to wait at least another month which now puts you around July/August timeframe.

One other factor to mention is there can be juggling and side deals behind the scenes that you are not privy to. Someone may want an M2 badly and offer $5k, $10k or even $15k over MSRP. Just because you have a deposit down and a contract signed by the sales manager doesn't amount to anything more than a lose placeholder. It's not a binding contract, saved on BMWs systems or maintained by some ethical team of people. This is what also makes it easy to manipulate. It's not uncommon for a salesman to bump your allocation up and sell your allocation to someone else. When you ask what's taking so long, they'll say they don't know what's causing the delay or come up with some other excuse. A dealer may also see you ordered a relatively low optioned car while some others on the list want a fully optioned car with the CF package, etc. and they'll juggling allocations around to sell those first because they the make most profit on them.

* As a sidenote there are honorable salesmen out there, but they may work with dishonorable people which in turn makes them look bad. In short, the entire system sucks and has only gotten worse.
Appreciate 17
Kobared74.50
Bumpinjeep5568.50
DrJLag420799.00
jordan24c128.00
aerobod3692.50
uk0168573.50
deladude266.00
pz6193278.50
bean_140.00
Caerus531.50
zero213254.50
      01-11-2023, 12:24 PM   #2
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
This might legit be the most useful post on the forum with regards to the buying process. I wish dealerships were more transparent when it comes to the buying process but in reality, they are a business and every penny counts. Kuddos on this thread.
Sethhboii1315.50
      01-11-2023, 02:05 PM   #3
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Allocation = production number with a status 111 or greater.

I have never had an allocation/production number not turn into the specific car I specced. VIN not required (you don't receive this until your build hits status 150 - Production Started).

If you have an allocation/production number and it's been configured to your spec, you have a car on the way. For good measure, ask to see the Vehicle Inquiry Report and make sure your spec is accurate and that your CA puts your name on it as the official "Customer" and changes the status to "Priority 1 - Customer Sold". Put the prod number in MyBMW and have fun watching your build progress.

It is obviously not legally binding until you sign a sales contract, but the overwhelming majority of BMW stores will absolutely honor and guarantee the delivery of the car specifically attached to your allocation/production number. A deposit + written contract with clear deal terms + actual production number is a guaranteed thing; I have yet to hear of an actual BMW dealer breaking a deal when all three are in place. Where some dealers may play games is on the pricing; some may refuse to honor verbal pricing commitments if market conditions change. (Frankly, customers have played this game for years, too.)

When you have an allocation/build number, there's no need to ask the dealer, "What's taking so long?" You can answer that yourself by checking out the status of your build on MyBMW or giving BMWNA a call.

Until your build hits status 150, your car's production schedule is not set in stone. 112 is a reasonable indicator of the production week, but your status can easily revert back to 111 with the scheduled week rescinded. Once you're at 150, your car will be built within 2 weeks and you're typically 1-2 months from receiving the car (barring no parts shortages or port logistics issues).
Appreciate 3
zero213254.50
Caerus531.50
      01-11-2023, 02:12 PM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Allocation = production number with a status 111 or greater.

I have never had an allocation/production number not turn into the specific car I specced. VIN not required (you don't receive this until your build hits status 150 - Production Started).

If you have an allocation/production number and it's been configured to your spec, you have a car on the way. For good measure, ask to see the Vehicle Inquiry Report and make sure your spec is accurate and that your CA puts your name on it as the official "Customer" and changes the status to "Priority 1 - Customer Sold". Put the prod number in MyBMW and have fun watching your build progress.

It is obviously not legally binding until you sign a sales contract, but the overwhelming majority of BMW stores will absolutely honor and guarantee the delivery of the car specifically attached to your allocation/production number. A deposit + written contract with clear deal terms + actual production number is a guaranteed thing; I have yet to hear of an actual BMW dealer breaking a deal when all three are in place. Where some dealers may play games is on the pricing; some may refuse to honor verbal pricing commitments if market conditions change. (Frankly, customers have played this game for years, too.)

When you have an allocation/build number, there's no need to ask the dealer, "What's taking so long?" You can answer that yourself by checking out the status of your build on MyBMW or giving BMWNA a call.
You are conflating an allocation with having a production number, they are two different things. An allocation is how many cars the dealer is getting, they are not assigned to a customer yet. You'll get a production number when the dealer officially assigns said allocation to a customer order or the dealer can assign it to themselves. Once there's a production number the VIN will get assigned to it and the customer and/or dealer can start tracking the progress of the build.
Appreciate 1
zero213254.50
      01-11-2023, 02:20 PM   #5
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
You are conflating an allocation with having a production number, they are two different things. An allocation is how many cars the dealer is getting, they are not assigned to a customer yet. You'll get a production number when the dealer officially assigns said allocation to a customer order or the dealer can assign it to themselves. Once there's a production number the VIN will get assigned to it and the customer and/or dealer can start tracking the progress of the build.
Within the context of a conversation between the store and the customer, "allocation" and "production number" are synonymous. Personally, I've never had anyone at a BMW store differentiate between the two in any meaningful way or at all (for example, I've never heard, "You have an allocation, but there's no production number attached to it yet").

Speaking as someone who purchased 4 new M cars and 2 M-Lite cars in the last 18 months and have engaged with over a dozen dealerships.
Appreciate 1
zero213254.50
      01-11-2023, 02:23 PM   #6
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Within the context of a conversation between the store and the customer, "allocation" and "production number" are synonymous. Personally, I've never had anyone at a BMW store differentiate between the two in any meaningful way or at all (for example, I've never heard, "We have allocations, but no production numbers yet").

Speaking as someone who purchased 4 new M cars and 2 M-Lite cars in the last 18 months and have engaged with over a dozen dealerships.
They are not synonymous with each other, but this partially explains all the confusion.
Appreciate 1
zero213254.50
      01-11-2023, 02:30 PM   #7
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
They are not synonymous with each other, but this partially explains all the confusion.
Frankly, I don't think there's any confusion. The only situation where the technical difference between the two is relevant is when you can have one without the other. Otherwise, it's immaterial from the customer's perspective.

I have yet to have a dealer claim to have an allocation and not have a production number. This doesn't even factor in that most dealers immediately put in a placeholder build and immediately get the prod number, anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 02:37 PM   #8
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Frankly, I don't think there's any confusion. The only situation where the technical difference between the two is relevant is when you can have one without the other. Otherwise, it's immaterial from the customer's perspective.

I have yet to have a dealer claim to have an allocation and not have a production number. This doesn't even factor in that most dealers immediately put in a placeholder build and immediately get the prod number, anyway.
Yeah.

If a store says they have an allocation for you, it means they have a slot for you and can provide you with a production number.
      01-11-2023, 02:40 PM   #9
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Frankly, I don't think there's any confusion. The only situation where the technical difference between the two is relevant is when you can have one without the other. Otherwise, it's immaterial.

I have yet to have a dealer claim to have an allocation and not have a production number.
Maybe if I provide an example it'll better explain...

Dealer tells you they have an allocation for you. That means nothing because there's no way to validate it. They can give you an allocation they currently have or one they 'expect' to get at a later date. That still means nothing to you and isn't a guarantee of anything. As I stated in my 1st post they can give your 'allocation' to someone else at any time which again means nothing. The only time you are guaranteed a car is when you officially get a production number, and the build is underway.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 02:42 PM   #10
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Yeah.

If a store says they have an allocation for you, it means they have a slot for you and can provide you with a production number.
I've literally been given an allocation only for it to be given to someone else and caught the dealer trying to cover it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 02:46 PM   #11
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

I am intentionally going to be vague, but the above post are hit and miss in regards to allocations. While some information is correct, it is not 100% accurate.

Advanced list of BMW factory status codes and their meanings: https://www.bmwofminnetonka.com/bmw-...-status-codes/
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-11-2023, 02:49 PM   #12
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
I've literally been given an allocation only for it to be given to someone else and caught the dealer trying to cover it up.
Customers don't get allocations. Dealerships do, from BMW
Appreciate 1
Tag18347.50
      01-11-2023, 02:50 PM   #13
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post
I am intentionally going to be vague, but the above post are hit and miss in regards to allocations. While some information is correct, it is not 100% accurate.

Advanced list of BMW factory status codes and their meanings: https://www.bmwofminnetonka.com/bmw-...-status-codes/
isn't status 37 now 47?
Appreciate 1
T_U_D6687.00
      01-11-2023, 02:51 PM   #14
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post
Customers don't get allocations. Dealerships do, from BMW
Yes, that's what I've been trying to explain. What I meant was the dealer was saying they have an allocation to give me. As I've said several times this means nothing to the customer. The only time you are guaranteed a car is when you get a production number, and it then goes through all the status codes as posted above.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2023, 03:00 PM   #15
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that's what I've been trying to explain. What I meant was the dealer was saying they have an allocation to give me. As I've said several times this means nothing to the customer. The only time you are guaranteed a car is when you get a production number, and it then goes through all the status codes as posted above.
If the dealer told you they had an allocation to assign to you but couldn't immediately give you the associated production number, they did not have the "allocation". Your dealer (specifically, the CA or manager you spoke with) either miscommunicated or lied to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 03:03 PM   #16
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
If the dealer told you they had an allocation to assign to you but couldn't immediately give you the associated production number, they did not have the "allocation". Your dealer (specifically, the CA or manager you spoke with) either miscommunicated or lied to you.
...or they did have one and then gave it to someone else or are giving you one that they expect to get at a later date.

Seems like we're talking past each other from different perspectives.
Appreciate 1
zero213254.50
      01-11-2023, 03:20 PM   #17
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

BMWBLOG - How to Track my BMW Order (2022)

Congratulations, you have placed an order internally designated as “047-status”. This means your order has been submitted to BMW, but the dealer has not yet received an allocation to fulfill it. This simply broadcasts to BMW Headquarters that the dealer has an order that needs to be fulfilled. You can’t track 047-status cars, and the dealership doesn’t have a definitive way of knowing the timeline, but they can make very educated guesses.

What is BMW’s Allocation Process?
The current allocation process is a bit complicated, but here’s a quick summary. Essentially, dealers are awarded based on how quickly they sell the vehicles on their lot. The best performing stores receive the largest percentage of total scheduled production. It’s important to remember that for high-demand cars, like the M3 or M5, total production is still low compared to normal levels. So, even high-volume dealers may still only get two or three allocations per month – or less.

How Long Do I Have to Modify My Ordered BMW?
An 047-status car can be modified indefinitely. Upon receiving a production number, there is a limited amount of time to modify the order. After the car enters production and receives a VIN number, it cannot be modified by anyone.

The full article can be found here: https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/07/31/h...be%20fulfilled.
Appreciate 2
aerobod3692.50
Caerus531.50
      01-11-2023, 03:27 PM   #18
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
...or they did have one and then gave it to someone else or are giving you one that they expect to get at a later date.

Seems like we're talking past each other from different perspectives.
Ironically, I believe if you understood at the time that "allocation" and "production number" are essentially synonymous, you would've prevented that situation by immediately requesting the production number and following my advice above to get the VIR and make sure your name is attached. I think the misconception that they're materially different led you to fail to properly validate their claim of having an allocation on hand.

This why it's important to get all of this info correct. No one wants to be told how to do their job by someone who actually doesn't know what he's talking about. Walking into a dealership both distrustful AND misinformed is a quick way to have your dealer choose to not do business with you and instead service a more compliant customer (who may actually be willing to pay more). That's a story I've seen on these forums many times.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 03:52 PM   #19
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Ironically, I believe if you understood at the time that "allocation" and "production number" are essentially synonymous, you would've prevented that situation by immediately requesting the production number and following my advice above to get the VIR and make sure your name is attached. I think the misconception that they're materially different led you to fail to properly validate their claim of having an allocation on hand.

This why it's important to get all of this info correct. Walking into a dealership both distrustful AND misinformed is a quick way to have your dealer choose to not do business with you and instead service a more compliant customer (who may actually be willing to pay more). That's a story I've seen on these forums many times.
I was waiting months for my F87 and was something like number 8 on the dealers list. They were getting 2-3 cars per month, so I was several months out to having an allocation assigned and then production number. Several months went by and when I reached out was told I was #1 on the list to get their next round of allocations. They were getting two cars in the next round, so I was excited knowing I'd get one. The next month came, and I didn't hear anything, so I decided to stop by the dealership after work and inquire about it. I was told I was still #1 and they were still waiting on allocations to drop 'soon'. I then stepped out and was just looking at some cars on the lot and when a different sales rep approached me asking if I needed anything. I told them I was just looking around and that I have a deposit down for the next M2 they're getting. They asked my name; I gave it and then the sales rep said "ohh yeah, you're #3 on the list". I asked don't mean #1? He said he knew for sure I was #3 because he handles the list. I went back into the dealer and asked why he was telling me I'm #3 and the sales rep asked I hang on while he 'looked into' only to come back and tell me he had made a mistake and I was indeed #3, but he was 'working hard' to move me up.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 03:56 PM   #20
BRAKE!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Thank you everyone for your insights. I think as a consumer what I am recognizing as a takeaway is that there are a lot behind the scenes. Some favorable, some not; but at the end of the day the only thing you can control is putting in your order. The rest, you have no control over so no need to worry about it. Let the dealership take care of it.

I would also like to emphasize that this should be an enjoyable process. Just put the order in, hope for the best, if it doesn’t work out then lesson learned and move on. My paradigm is that, the dealership wants to sell a car and you want to buy one, so odds are you’ll end up with a car regardless of how complex this process is.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 04:04 PM   #21
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I was waiting months for my F87 and was something like number 8 on the dealers list. They were getting 2-3 cars per month, so I was several months out to having an allocation assigned and then production number. Several months went by and when I reached out was told I was #1 on the list to get their next round of allocations. They were getting two cars in the next round, so I was excited knowing I'd get one. The next month came, and I didn't hear anything, so I decided to stop by the dealership after work and inquire about it. I was told I was still #1 and they were still waiting on allocations to drop 'soon'. I then stepped out and was just looking at some cars on the lot and when a different sales rep approached me asking if I needed anything. I told them I was just looking around and that I have a deposit down for the next M2 they're getting. They asked my name; I gave it and then the sales rep said "ohh yeah, you're #3 on the list". I asked don't mean #1? He said he knew for sure I was #3 because he handles the list. I went back into the dealer and asked why he was telling me I'm #3 and the sales rep asked I hand on while he 'looked into' only to come back and tell me he had made a mistake and I was indeed #3, but he was 'working hard' to move me up.
That's a horrible experience. I can never put full faith into opaque dealer "lists". For my own sake, I just assume that it's not set in stone and that they'll act in their best interests. However, I do hold my regular local dealer to a higher standard since I've done significant business with them and they've made it clear that we have excellent rapport and are willing to show mutual loyalty.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 04:36 PM   #22
Sethhboii
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [10.00]
Eh, I ordered one and gave them them my spec. Order in the bank. Waiting for Allocation.
I see car = Me sign paper = Car is mine
Appreciate 2