BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

07-05-2022, 04:56 PM   #1
MugenProspec
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

22 M240 stuck at the dealership for almost 4 months

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I have been trying to get some help with a problem I have been having. I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

In October 2021 I ordered a 2022 M240i. I spec'd it out to my hearts content. I finally got the car in March 2022. It completely blew my previous M240i out of the water. The new 2 series coupe's are just brilliant. Unfortunately only 2 weeks into owning the 2022 car my windshield was destroyed by road debris. The paint work and broken mirror have been replaced. It took about a month to get all that done but I can understand that with the supply chain shortage.

The windshield is another matter. There hasn't been any luck getting a windshield or even an ETA on a windshield. Now we are going on the 4th month of owning the car without being able to use it. I literally didn't even have it long enough to make the first payment before it was stuck in the shop.

I have talked to two dealerships parts department to see if they could do anything. I have called BMW customer support without any luck. I can't keep renting a car blindly with the hope that some time in the next 6 months a windshield will be available and I can finally drive my car.

Does anyone know of any corporate contacts or anything else I can do to hopefully get closer to a solution?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 05:05 PM   #2
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Are you a member of BMW CCA? Perhaps their Ombudsman could be of help if you were.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2022, 05:11 PM   #3
MugenProspec
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue135 View Post
Are you a member of BMW CCA? Perhaps their Ombudsman could be of help if you were.
No I am not but that's a great idea. I will see about joining.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 06:44 PM   #4
MugenProspec
Rep

Also, I have never had a new car before. Is having to wait this long for replacement parts normal or is this out of the ordinary?

What about being able to get support out of corporate BMW? Does anyone have any history working with them to remedy something?

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 06:46 PM   #5
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

just curious, but have you tried glass repair companies that might use aftermarket windshields?
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2022, 08:33 PM   #6
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

My car got damaged during shipping and the windshield was replaced. It took 6-8 weeks for BMW to get a windshield for me. I would definitely call BMW Customer Service daily. You can also try to get an aftermarket windshield but stay with a name brand no China glass. I did that with another car to save money and had to return it due to major distortion. Saint Gobain is OEM glass.
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.

Last edited by oldbmwtech; 07-05-2022 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2022, 09:05 PM   #7
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenProspec View Post
I have been trying to get some help with a problem I have been having. I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

In October 2021 I ordered a 2022 M240i. I spec'd it out to my hearts content. I finally got the car in March 2022. It completely blew my previous M240i out of the water. The new 2 series coupe's are just brilliant. Unfortunately only 2 weeks into owning the 2022 car my windshield was destroyed by road debris. The paint work and broken mirror have been replaced. It took about a month to get all that done but I can understand that with the supply chain shortage.

The windshield is another matter. There hasn't been any luck getting a windshield or even an ETA on a windshield. Now we are going on the 4th month of owning the car without being able to use it. I literally didn't even have it long enough to make the first payment before it was stuck in the shop.

I have talked to two dealerships parts department to see if they could do anything. I have called BMW customer support without any luck. I can't keep renting a car blindly with the hope that some time in the next 6 months a windshield will be available and I can finally drive my car.

Does anyone know of any corporate contacts or anything else I can do to hopefully get closer to a solution?

Thanks!
Go to the dealership and demand answers as soon as possible!!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 10:33 PM   #8
jbazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 30i , 1990 Miata Turbo

That’s horrible news. I have been concerned about damage like this and not being able to get parts, considered getting the windshield coated with ppf!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 01:18 PM   #9
MugenProspec
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo- View Post
just curious, but have you tried glass repair companies that might use aftermarket windshields?
I asked about aftermarket. They said they cant guarantee the sensors and HUD will work properly if it is not a factory windshield.

Also the car is brand new I would prefer having it back to the state I bought it in.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 01:22 PM   #10
MugenProspec
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbmwtech View Post
My car got damaged during shipping and the windshield was replaced. It took 6-8 weeks for BMW to get a windshield for me. I would definitely call BMW Customer Service daily. You can also try to get an aftermarket windshield but stay with a name brand no China glass. I did that with another car to save money and had to return it due to major distortion. Saint Gobain is OEM glass.
I have called them a few times but they always say they cant do anything because parts are handled through the dealership. I have asked to talk to someone above them but they say there isn't anyone I can talk to because it's not something they can do anything about.

When you got your windshield replaced, was it all handled through the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 11:34 AM   #11
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
I have called them a few times but they always say they cant do anything because parts are handled through the dealership. I have asked to talk to someone above them but they say there isn't anyone I can talk to because it's not something they can do anything about.

When you got your windshield replaced, was it all handled through the dealership?
It was handled at the Distribution Center
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2022, 03:45 PM   #12
MugenProspec
Rep

I talked to the dealer again today and they said they will try to get a loaner car set up for me but it didn't sound like there was any guarantee. The also didn't mention how long it I could keep the loaner for or when I could pick it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbmwtech View Post
It was handled at the Distribution Center
The parts department said they still cant even back order the windshield. It is just not available in the system. I wish i could get in contact with someone a little further up the chain. I just keep running into the same dead ends.

I did find out from BMW finance that I can get a reimbursement for the time I have been without my car. However, they said that cannot start getting processed until the car is back in my possession.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 07:47 AM   #13
Thundernight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

Following this thread. I too have a damaged windshield and have been struggling to get a replacement. It happened 4 days into ownership. A stone dislodged from a car who swerved into the shoulder. This kicked up lots of dirt/gravel and the impact immediately spiderwebbed the glass. Luckily it’s the passenger side and I can still drive without issue, but it is growing in size every week.

I called my local dealership. They informed me that there is no stock in North America, and they already have 5 other customer requests on back order. To be added to the order list, I would need to pay the deposit in full and they were transparent that it could be months before the new glass comes in. They quoted me $1,650 for parts and labor.

I also called safelite and they claim to have sent the request to their procurement team. Their website did not have the G42 as a selectable option, so calling them directly was my only option. They too did not have any stock and could not provide any timing as to when either an OEM or aftermarket replacement would be available.

Seems that we are stuck in this situation until BMW can get ahead on parts production. It sucks that this happened so early into ownership. It also really concerns me how easily the windshield cracked and how many other people are experiencing the same damage. Maybe it’s bad luck playing a role, but you’d hope for slightly more durable glass.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2022, 05:27 PM   #14
acouncilofone
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i

Joining in as another G42 owner waiting for a new windshield. Windshield cracked while driving around today and it's definitely getting larger. Added my name to a waitlist at my local dealer but who knows how long it'll take. Time to see if they can repair it at all while I wait to ensure it doesn't get much bigger (already larger than a dollar bill).
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 05:43 PM   #15
tahoebimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

I understand wanting OEM, but if it was me I'd just get any available glass. Why? Because windshields get broken all the time. Get aftermarket now and hopefully by the time the next one gets broken OEM will be available. Chances are you won't even care by then anyway. Leaving the car in the shop for months is costing you depreciation that you won't ever get back.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 09:26 PM   #16
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoebimmer View Post
I understand wanting OEM, but if it was me I'd just get any available glass. Why? Because windshields get broken all the time. Get aftermarket now and hopefully by the time the next one gets broken OEM will be available. Chances are you won't even care by then anyway. Leaving the car in the shop for months is costing you depreciation that you won't ever get back.
I'm not sure there are any other options available yet. There weren't a while ago when I looked into replacements. Thankfully I was able to have mine repaired before it got too bad.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 01:18 AM   #17
acouncilofone
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post
Quote:
I'm not sure there are any other options available yet. There weren't a while ago when I looked into replacements. Thankfully I was able to have mine repaired before it got too bad.
My issue is the crack grew to over 7" before I could even get home and start calling repair shops. Was only able to get hold of safelite and they said we'll have to go to the dealership. Not sure about any local shops though.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 08:39 AM   #18
Thundernight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

Yep, safelite doesn’t have any aftermarket glass yet for the G42. So for now, we are stuck in limbo until BMW can supply the replacement glass..

Honestly, I am shocked that this is even a problem. You’d think that BMW would produce a surplus of glass knowing that replacements would be needed.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2022, 06:07 PM   #19
tahoebimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yikes! I better not follow close to any trucks. Hard to avoid around here on the numerous 2-lanes though.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2022, 06:15 PM   #20
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yikes! I better not follow close to any trucks. Hard to avoid around here on the numerous 2-lanes though.
Got my windshield covered with STEK film first week I had it. Did it along with tint. On the way home from the detail shop a rock hit my windshield. Just left a small mark. I bet if I didn't have my windshield protected it would've been at least a star crack. Didn't even think about having a problem with windshield replacements. Supply chain is super messed up right now. Good luck y'all.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2022, 05:46 PM   #21
MugenProspec
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundernight View Post
.... It also really concerns me how easily the windshield cracked and how many other people are experiencing the same damage. Maybe it’s bad luck playing a role, but you’d hope for slightly more durable glass.
That is a really good point. I have been extremely surprised that the glass has broken on so many cars already. Maybe I'm an outlier but I have never had to replace a windshield on any of my previous cars. I have gotten a few chips over the years but not even so much a propagating crack. I drive a decent amount too, I have had a 50 mile commute for 10+ years.

The case that MULTIPLE people at the same dealership are having to wait in line to get replacement windshields makes me question the quality of the glass being used. I understand the supply chain is all out of whack across the world. However, they are making these cars daily. The parts are out there.

Further I am surprised that I haven't gotten a loaner car. I asked about getting a loaner right after it happened and they said all their loaners were being used. My friend had to wait a little over a month for a replacement part on her KIA K5. The dealership gave her a loaner car for the entire time her car was out of commission. I feel like a luxury brand like BMW would be doing more than the KIA dealership. I have called twice a week for 4 months to check on the status of the car and I ask about getting a loaner but I really am not getting anywhere with that.

If this had a been a part failure rather than something caused by road debris I could have had the car refunded three times under the lemon law. I am so fed up with all of this. It is ruing the brand to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 05:55 PM   #22
acouncilofone
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundernight View Post
.... It also really concerns me how easily the windshield cracked and how many other people are experiencing the same damage. Maybe it’s bad luck playing a role, but you’d hope for slightly more durable glass.
That is a really good point. I have been extremely surprised that the glass has broken on so many cars already. Maybe I'm an outlier but I have never had to replace a windshield on any of my previous cars. I have gotten a few chips over the years but not even so much a propagating crack. I drive a decent amount too, I have had a 50 mile commute for 10+ years.

The case that MULTIPLE people at the same dealership are having to wait in line to get replacement windshields makes me question the quality of the glass being used. I understand the supply chain is all out of whack across the world. However, they are making these cars daily. The parts are out there.

Further I am surprised that I haven't gotten a loaner car. I asked about getting a loaner right after it happened and they said all their loaners were being used. My friend had to wait a little over a month for a replacement part on her KIA K5. The dealership gave her a loaner car for the entire time her car was out of commission. I feel like a luxury brand like BMW would be doing more than the KIA dealership. I have called twice a week for 4 months to check on the status of the car and I ask about getting a loaner but I really am not getting anywhere with that.

If this had a been a part failure rather than something caused by road debris I could have had the car refunded three times under the lemon law. I am so fed up with all of this. It is ruing the brand to me.
I've never had the stock windshield on any car last more than 2 months in the past 10 years because of rocks (and no I don't follow trucks closely). I usually just treat them as a wear and tear item like brakes.
Appreciate 0