E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) > Rock chip through PPF on roof down to carbon fiber...help

07-06-2024, 06:41 PM   #1
ezmoneyecco
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Competition XDrive

Rock chip through PPF on roof down to carbon fiber...help

How do I get this repaired?
It’s through the PPF and chipped the carbon fiber. How can this be repaired?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2024, 07:28 PM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Damage may look worse than it is. You'll need to remove the ppf first. After that send it to a detailer and see if they can polish it out for you. Worse case get a painter to just do a spot repair on the clearcoat for that spot. Your biggest cost should be in the ppf removal and replacement.

A good ppf installer might even be able to cut out a patch of the ppf, polish out the damage and then patch back the ppf. Not ideal, but your roof is black so it won't be very obvious (if done correctly).
Appreciate 3
      07-06-2024, 08:39 PM   #3
cbpip
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4C 3.0si 3 pedal

Garage List
2007 BMW E86C  [0.00]
Too deep to polish out from the looks of it. Going to need ppf removed. Will need to spot repair with premium resin/harder and re-clear coated with premium clear w/good UV protection . Reapply ppf after it cures. Need to find a shop that is familiar with carbon repair.
Appreciate 3
      07-06-2024, 08:53 PM   #4
ezmoneyecco
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Competition XDrive

Thanks so much for the replies. I have had this car for 1 week and now this…ughhhh
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2024, 03:32 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

personally I would not fix it would not bother me.

but I did find this.
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1376055
Appreciate 2
      07-07-2024, 09:09 PM   #6
cozye
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp - 328ix (hers)

I have touched up rock chipped carbon fiber by mixing some west systems epoxy with the slow clear 207 hardener in a small cup, and using a very small cheap paint brush (like the kind from model cars), dab it in the spot. You will need to carefully cut away the PPF from the spot to be touched up. You also need to take an exacto knife or razor blade and pick at any loose resin that is still remaining around the chip. I took a small amount of sand paper and just lightly scuffed around the edge, don’t get into the carbon much.

For my touch ups, you can’t see them at 5 feet away. The ultra clear epoxy resin will make the “white” disappear, will dry to a gloss finish, and makes the carbon look black again. it’s not perfect if you run your fingers across it, because it still isn’t perfectly flat, just like using touch up paint. If you really wanted to get it flat you would need to block it with a small block and sand paper, maybe go over it a second coat to fill in any remaining low spot, then polish.

My .02, I would just dab the epoxy in and touch it up best you can. You will get more eventually. Removing the whole roof of PPF and blocking, polishing, or re clearing is a lot of work. If you get a couple years down the road and have several touch ups that you want to smooth out, then you will be half way there and can just re clear the roof.

FYI, thats more than clear thats chipped away. Thats part of the resin as well when you’ve chipped down do the composite. Clear isn’t that thick.

Fwiw, on my example it was the edge of the M Performance carbon front lip. It got bit by a driveway transition that caught me by surprise. I had 4 or 5 rock size chips, had to cut the PPF off around that area, and did exactly as I’m suggesting. I masked it off as a precaution, but did not touch up to the edge of the mask. Just brushed it, dabbed it in carefully. I’ve had people look at it from 3 feet and cant see it. you have to feel it to know its there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JWB983K...c_as_ri_0&th=1
Appreciate 1