F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Water getting into the engine bay during wash
GetBMWParts

04-08-2024, 01:17 PM   #1
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i ActiveHybrid 3

Garage List
Water getting into the engine bay during wash

I'm unsure whether this is common or not, but after a pressure wash of the vehicle, I was going to put my battery on a ctek charge under the hood when I noticed the + terminal was soaking wet, with water running all around it. Droplets were all around the bay as well.

I then removed the plastic engine cover, and the foam underneath was soaked. Anyone had similar experiences? I'm assuming water gets through the bottom of the windshield, but isn't it supposed to be driven away from the engine? Or is this something that's "well known" ? I removed the foam for now, and I'm now unsure whether to even put it back. I also didn't just blast the bottom of the windshield dead-on.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:59 AM   #2
adinstoes
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive

Can’t say for certain but could be a weatherstrip issue. I had a similiar experience where my front hood seal was missing and was getting a lot more debris into the engine bay than usual.
If you see the image the weather strips are outlined so you could check if ur missing those? The battery terminal isnt within the strips so not too sure about that but could explain ur engine getting soaked
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
NxTH208.00
      Yesterday, 04:13 AM   #3
scubajim
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F33

I would think if you were using a pressure washer to clean the car and spraying it in where the windshield meets the hood; you are far exceeding the engineering of the hood seal in that area. Finding water in the engine bay area and under the engine cover would be realistic. The engine cover is designed more for sound reduction than anything else. Probably not a bad idea to remove the cover and let things dry. Maybe next time increase the angle that you spray on the lower half of the windshield. meaning don't direct it right in the back side of the hood.
      Yesterday, 08:19 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It's probably no worse than after driving in a moderate to heavy rain. The hood is reasonably well sealed but not hermetically by any means.
Appreciate 0