BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-09-2022, 12:29 PM   #1
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

S58 Engine uses the Same rods from the S63

Hello Everyone, Thought I'd share some knowledge about the internals of the S58 Engine that I have recently discovered since its assumed the new M2 is coming with the S58.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfo...S58-Engine.pdf

On the bottom of the page on page 24 of the technical training manual it discusses the internal components of the S58 motor.

Bmw says "The forged connecting rod of the S58 engine has a nominal length of 151.1 mm. The connecting rod is a carry-over part from the S63B44T4 engine. As with other BMW engines, the small end has a profiled bore. The force acting from the piston via the wrist pin is optimally distributed to the bushing surface by this shaped bore and the edge load."

Now I have recently shed light on this on the G80/2 Side of the forums however I feel it would be appropriate to share here for those who havent seen it.

The S63TU4 Rods are much different then those of the original S63 Motor which seem to bend with a simple stage 1 tune. From my understanding the S63TU4 Rods are made of much stronger material, now... I'll let someone more knowledgeable on the S63TU4 Chime in but from what I understand those rods are pretty strong and don't bend near as much as the original S63TU0.

This also explains how the S58 is able to make alot more HP. Its redisgned compression ratio and increased airflow and cooling all over the motor assists here.

Anyway, figured I'd share this information with you all and I'd definitely take some time to explore this technical training manual as it will highly educate you on the S58. If you like to nerd out on things that is.

For those knowledgeable on the S63TU4 Engine feel free to chime in.
EXE462097.00
      04-09-2022, 01:43 PM   #2
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Yes, the S58 is a solid tuning platform for a couple of other reasons as well. The crank hub was completely redesigned on the B58. Being that the S58 is a high output variant of the B58, a spun crank hub is no longer a concern.

The S58 also has a revised PCV system and has an elegant filtration system for blow by gasses to prevent carbon buildup. The PCV section is from pages 20-22, but the entire technical training guide is full of great info on the S58.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      04-21-2022, 08:51 PM   #3
conradb58
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240I Thundernight Metall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdition_F87 View Post
Hello Everyone, Thought I'd share some knowledge about the internals of the S58 Engine that I have recently discovered since its assumed the new M2 is coming with the S58.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfo...S58-Engine.pdf

On the bottom of the page on page 24 of the technical training manual it discusses the internal components of the S58 motor.

Bmw says "The forged connecting rod of the S58 engine has a nominal length of 151.1 mm. The connecting rod is a carry-over part from the S63B44T4 engine. As with other BMW engines, the small end has a profiled bore. The force acting from the piston via the wrist pin is optimally distributed to the bushing surface by this shaped bore and the edge load."

Now I have recently shed light on this on the G80/2 Side of the forums however I feel it would be appropriate to share here for those who havent seen it.

The S63TU4 Rods are much different then those of the original S63 Motor which seem to bend with a simple stage 1 tune. From my understanding the S63TU4 Rods are made of much stronger material, now... I'll let someone more knowledgeable on the S63TU4 Chime in but from what I understand those rods are pretty strong and don't bend near as much as the original S63TU0.

This also explains how the S58 is able to make alot more HP. Its redisgned compression ratio and increased airflow and cooling all over the motor assists here.

Anyway, figured I'd share this information with you all and I'd definitely take some time to explore this technical training manual as it will highly educate you on the S58. If you like to nerd out on things that is.

For those knowledgeable on the S63TU4 Engine feel free to chime in.
Pretzel rods