BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

05-28-2022, 08:48 AM   #155
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Damn, I'm unfortunately out the BMW game if a G87 M2 is going to start at over 65k..🥲

I guess it's not meant to be and instead a 400 Z or manual Supra is in the stars for me..

If this is indeed the case, BMW obviously forget (or no longer cares) why the M2 was so inherently popular and the original core demographic it was suppose to be targeted to.. #Sad
The whole thing sucks and it's going to push a lot of people away. The M4 is going up $3,700 for the next MY so that's obviously going to increase the price of the G87. I guess we'll have to wait and see to know for sure.

Appreciate 5
Poochie9103.00
The_Werm212.00
T_U_D6675.00
JustChris17483.00
      05-28-2022, 09:07 AM   #156
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:
Damn, I'm unfortunately out the BMW game if a G87 M2 is going to start at over 65k..🥲

I guess it's not meant to be and instead a 400 Z or manual Supra is in the stars for me..

If this is indeed the case, BMW obviously forget (or no longer cares) why the M2 was so inherently popular and the original core demographic it was suppose to be targeted to.. #Sad
The whole thing sucks and it's going to push a lot of people away. The M4 is going up $3,700 for the next MY so that's obviously going to increase the price of the G87. I guess we'll have to wait and see to know for sure.

Yep. It's wait and see I guess…I'm loving my og m2…I know it's said a lot but it really does put a huge f'n grin on my face every time I hop in. The G87 (I'm supposedly #1 on the list at my dealer) has some big shoes to fill as it is…pricing could ultimately tip the scales for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 01:15 PM   #157
sk8funk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Meh, maybe I'm the only one on the planet, but I have 0 interest in Porche. Incredible machines as they are, BMW M just does something for me.
exactly the same. absolutely no interest in Porsche, never had. From dad to myself and the twin, we only like BMW's and if we didn't like then we won't bitch about them, we just move on to something else.
Appreciate 2
JustinHEMI7441.00
JustChris17483.00
      05-28-2022, 03:10 PM   #158
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Wow did this go off topic. Not unexpectedly.

A lot of us got into BMW's a long time ago because they were fun cars. Smaller, lighter, better handling, driver focused, had a feel to them other brands didn't provide. Didn't give a flying F about the logo on it, just that it brought a smile to your face. Costs were high-ish but worth it.

Bigger, heavier, more expensive, number technological masterpieces put good numbers on paper and still sell well because of the brand name, but it's not what everyone is looking for. BMW flat out admitted their steering feedback is numb because they wanted it that way. For some, the best driver's BMW for sale right now is the Supra.

If you want that stuff, power to ya, consider yourself lucky.

But FFS, we should all be complaining about that video. With a Tesla in it. WTF BMW? One of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
Appreciate 1
T_U_D6675.00
      05-28-2022, 03:10 PM   #159
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Quote:
Meh, maybe I'm the only one on the planet, but I have 0 interest in Porche. Incredible machines as they are, BMW M just does something for me.
That was me up until the fall of 2008 when I test drove the recently launched 2009 997.2. It was game over after that as I wanted a 911 ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
I think Porsches are great but they're not for everyone. I personally know several people who have made "the leap" from M to P (M2/M2C to cayman gts, gt4, 997) and have come back to BMW after a year or two. When I asked some of them why, the responses I got were along the lines of: "Porsches are too serious, BMWs are more light hearted" or "I rarely drove it because nothing fit in it", or "that car was too stiff and I wanted something softer for a daily driver".
Porsche’s sport cars are definitely better suited as a 2nd, 3rd, 4th car and not as a daily driver.

Last edited by T_U_D; 05-28-2022 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 6
Spiffx448.00
JustinHEMI7441.00
smknjoe234.00
EXE462100.00
AndrewC198910910.50
chrisk03153.00
      05-28-2022, 03:58 PM   #160
Spiffx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 992 Carrera

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
BMW is losing more and more people to Porsche.
Lol, are you trying to say ppl are leaving BMW in droves and running to Porsche? Most BMW owners are not cross shopping with Porsches, only wealthy people can afford a real Porsche. The typical BMW owner can probably only afford a cayman or a macan, neither of which is both practical and sporty. BMWs are good all rounders that are reasonably priced. You're not getting your kids and golf clubs in the back seat of a cayman or 911 and you're not having fun canyon carving in a macan or cayenne. You can do all of that in a bmw M car and it will cost you much less.
Right on 🙌

It's perplexing and tedious that folks here, ad nauseam, compares a mid-tier BMW to any model of Porsches.

If anyone, including myself, who has the means to comfortable opt for an equivalent spec Porsche, wouldn't even sneeze at a BMW and that's not taking anything away from BMW as an automotive brand in general, just a sobering fact of life.

It reminds me of the time I could of afforded a mansion on the hills but instead opted for a 12X9 roach motel in Alphabet City - 'cause you know, loyalty or whatever 🙄

Porsche and BMW is not on the same playing field, they are completely different caliber of vehicles, as Porsche is a vehicle you aspire to from a BMW, not one replace it with. So these folks making such outlandish comparisons need to stay in their lane..
Watch this:

And then let's start over this conversation.

EDIT: After watching this video, I decided to have both. A BMW M4 Competition xDrive Coupe as my daily driver, and a 911 GTS for "fun".
      05-28-2022, 04:00 PM   #161
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_1M View Post
BMW marketing is so dumb that they probably didn't think we'd look that hard into it. I bet wherever they shot this video they didn't have the new car so they improvised. Ridiculous
What I gained from that video: Girl was hot. The end.
Appreciate 2
Spiffx448.00
chrisk03153.00
      05-28-2022, 04:04 PM   #162
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Attached Images

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 2
JustinHEMI7441.00
EXE462100.00
      05-28-2022, 04:05 PM   #163
Spiffx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post
Quote:
That was me up until the fall of 2008 when I test drove the recently launched 2009 997.2. It was game over after that as I wanted a 911 ever since.

Quote:
I think Porsches are great but they're not for everyone. I personally know several people who have made "the leap" from M to P (M2/M2C to cayman gts, gt4, 997) and have come back to BMW after a year or two. When I asked some of them why, the responses I got were along the lines of: "Porsches are too serious, BMWs are more light hearted" or "I rarely drove it because nothing fit in it", or "that car was too stiff and I wanted something softer for a daily driver".
Porsche's sport cars are definitely better suited as a 2nd, 3rd, 4th car and not as a daily driver.
I could easily see myself on my 911 as daily driver. The base 911, the Carrera S, and the Turbo models are all quite comfortable. Things get hairy for people desperate to get on a GT3. That's definitely not a daily driver.
      05-28-2022, 04:58 PM   #164
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post

Porsche’s sport cars are definitely better suited as a 2nd, 3rd, 4th car and not as a daily driver.
Well, maybe it's that I have never driven one. I'll avoid it to dispel future regret.
sk8funk174.50
chrisk03153.00
      05-28-2022, 05:40 PM   #165
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markewi...laus-frohlich/

Inflation and Demand for M cars like the M2 make a price increase necessary for the M2. Why would any business willfully leave profit on the table? Businesses exist to make money and maximize shareholder value.

Just take more time and save more dollars for a reasonable downpayment and you could eventually get into a new M2. Start small by saving a little extra dollars each month.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 06:03 PM   #166
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Inflation and Demand for M cars like the M2 make a price increase necessary for the M2. Why would any business willfully leave profit on the table? Businesses exist to make money and maximize shareholder value.

Just take more time and save more dollars for a reasonable downpayment and you could eventually get into a new M2. Start small by saving a little extra dollars each month.
Your comments are sad but true. I would price the new M2 base at close to $70K myself and would probably sell out all of them the initial years. Every sporty car from M2’s, to 911’s, Lambo’s, and Ferraris are harder to purchase due to price increases and allocation shortages. The future manual Supra will probably be hard to get. I would not expect to see the manual Supra on the car lot for a test drive.

However, boring and miserable SUVs like my wife drives for our daughter are always plentiful.
Appreciate 1
RPM33612.00
      05-28-2022, 06:03 PM   #167
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Quote:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markewi...laus-frohlich/

Inflation is a thing but BMW is assembling the M2 in Mexico, so that "Made in Mexico" endorsement allows them to take advantage of the free trade agreement the US has with Mexico (NAFTA), saving them like 10% per vehicle than before when it was imported from Leipzig, not to mention the lower labor rates.

If BMW increase the price of the car, while still saving money on import cost, they are being some greedy fvcks. So, I don't have any mercy for them if they want to overcharge for the vehicle and cut corners.

Maybe I'll change my mind when I see everything in totality but if the headlines now is 65k+ for an M2, that's currently a hard pass for me.
Appreciate 1
smknjoe234.00
      05-28-2022, 06:38 PM   #168
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Inflation is a thing but BMW is assembling the M2 in Mexico, so that "Made in Mexico" endorsement allows them to take advantage of the free trade agreement the US has with Mexico (NAFTA), saving them like 10% per vehicle than before when it was imported from Leipzig, not to mention the lower labor rates.

If BMW increase the price of the car, while still saving money on import cost, they are being some greedy fvcks. So, I don't have any mercy for them if they want to overcharge for the vehicle and cut corners.

Maybe I'll change my mind when I see everything in totality but if the headlines now is 65k+ for an M2, that's currently a hard pass for me.
Yeah I think you got it. They are increasing profit both ends of the spectrum: by raising the price because demand is high and by decreasing their production costs. Hope to see you in a M2 in the years to come.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      05-28-2022, 06:51 PM   #169
soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g42 (ordered)

Quote:

A fully optioned MY22 m240xi rings up at ~60k. MY23’s price increase will likely bump that up to at least 62-63k.

The MY23 M2, even at base, will likely come standard with many of those options. I think we’re lucky if the price starts at 65k, Im expecting it to start closer to 70k and be capable of reaching 80k+ fully optioned.

Hope Im wrong.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
Moflow2484.50
      05-28-2022, 06:53 PM   #170
Spiffx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It's called capitalism. Price is set by supply and demand. Haynes and his invisible hand…

As long as there are people who pay what they want charge, cars will sell. Price has nothing to do with cost.
      05-28-2022, 07:37 PM   #171
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflacarguy View Post
Quote:

A fully optioned MY22 m240xi rings up at ~60k. MY23's price increase will likely bump that up to at least 62-63k.

The MY23 M2, even at base, will likely come standard with many of those options. I think we're lucky if the price starts at 65k, Im expecting it to start closer to 70k and be capable of reaching 80k+ fully optioned.

Hope Im wrong.
You see, I think they'll do the opposite; they might à la carte every single good option, where if you want it for under 65k, then the base model is going to come with a manual wind-up window crank and 8-track tape player and it would cost extra if you want the good stuff like power windows and a MP3..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 07:56 PM   #172
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

This is shaping up to be the e36 to the F87's e30.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 08:29 PM   #173
soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You see, I think they'll do the opposite; they might à la carte every single good option, where if you want it for under 65k, then the base model is going to come with a manual wind-up window crank and 8-track tape player and it would cost extra if you want the good stuff like power windows and a MP3..
Hmm a decent theory indeed, albeit that wouldn’t vibe with IDrive 8 being a mandatory feature of the base vehicle….”MyBmw, please wind up the windows”
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      05-28-2022, 08:33 PM   #174
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflacarguy View Post
Quote:
Hmm a decent theory indeed, albeit that wouldn't vibe with IDrive 8 being a mandatory feature of the base vehicle…."MyBmw, please wind up the windows"
Customer: "MyBMW, wind down my windows"

MyBMW: "Wind that shit down yourself, you cheap bitch"
Appreciate 2
sk8funk174.50
      05-28-2022, 08:53 PM   #175
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3macster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3macster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
I'm not sure what you're talking about but there are plenty of people who own both brands.

Enthusiast like myself who own M cars are not going to stick around for Bmw to continue the strange design language.

I didn't buy Bmw for what it cost. I own Bmw for the way it makes you feel the driving experience and so forth.. if I wanted a car to go to point a and point B. I would've bought a Honda or a Volkswagen or a Lexus
I agree. Why buy a car and pay a $100K grand only to get "used" to the look of that big grill. I don't want to be brainwashed by BMW. There are multiple options out there for enthusiasts.
It's a big grill but I'm already used to mine. It's hard to justify another 50- 100k to buy a Porsche because I don't like the grill. There's plenty to not like about the Porsche as well - not exterior design but price, cost of maintenance, lack of room for kids, etc. there's always Mazda or Toyota if you can't take it anymore
I'm talking from a Enthusiast's point of view.
You are changing the topic.
Whatever that means. You said $100k for a grill you don't like. That's Porsche territory for a 718 at least anyway. Best of luck to your rarified enthusiast-ism!
You are not an enthusiast.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 2
10"4967.50
      05-28-2022, 09:06 PM   #176
soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Customer: "MyBMW, wind down my windows"

MyBMW: "Wind that shit down yourself, you cheap bitch"
Lmaoooo

All joking aside, MY22 m340 base price is 55k, and MY22 m3 base price is 70k. I know it’s not apples to apples but some of the features that are standard on m3 (and not on m340) are the merino leather (vs free sensatec or upgraded vernasca), Go Love cockpit, convenience and premium packages.

If they stick with this formula we’re looking at an MY23 m2 base price of at least 65k. Im picturing something like “starting at 64,100” anyway.

These numbers are all before factoring in destination charges.
Appreciate 3
Poochie9103.00
JustChris17483.00
JustinHEMI7441.00